Does my baby need a visa?

Chillers

The girlfriend and I are both permanent residents and had a baby boy 2 months ago we are planning to go back to the UK asap (sick family member) and decided to get a UK passport for him as we figured this seems to be the easiest and cheapest to get.

My question is will we need any re-entry visa for him upon our return to Australia with his British passport? We are hearing mixed opinions about having resident return visa for him or proof of citizenship however we have already sent off his birth cert for the uk passport which could be weeks.

Can anyone shed light on the matter?

21 minutes ago, Chillers said:

The girlfriend and I are both permanent residents and had a baby boy 2 months ago we are planning to go back to the UK asap (sick family member) and decided to get a UK passport for him as we figured this seems to be the easiest and cheapest to get.

My question is will we need any re-entry visa for him upon our return to Australia with his British passport? We are hearing mixed opinions about having resident return visa for him or proof of citizenship however we have already sent off his birth cert for the uk passport which could be weeks.

Can anyone shed light on the matter?

If you are permanent residents and baby was born in Australia baby is an Australian citizen - and a UK citizen by descent.

Baby should obtain an Australian passport for the purpose of re-entering Australia.

Best regards.

Just now, Alan Collett said:

If you are permanent residents and baby was born in Australia baby is an Australian citizen - and a UK citizen by descent.

Baby should obtain an Australian passport for the purpose of re-entering Australia.

Best regards.

See:

https://archive.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/life/chil

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/certificate/get-a-certificate#HowTo

https://www.passports.gov.au/passports-explained/how-apply/eligibility-citizenship-and-identity/confirming-your-australian

Will just chip in, if the trip is urgent, once you get his birth certificate call your local passport office and they can get a passport done very quick. I became a citizen on a Thursday and had my Oz passport by lunchtime Friday. But, you need to make an appointment in advance. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bougti said:

A passport will be needed for the child to leave the country.

If you cross at a border crossing it would be the same as by air. Your child will have no proof of nationality unless you can get a Lao birth certificate from the Lao embassy.

You will have to decide which passport you can get the quickest since your child will have dual nationalities by birth or decent.

What does the Lao embassy have to do with a passport for an Australian child travelling to the UK?  They cannot choose which passport to get, The child will need an Australian passport to reenter Australia.

Edited by Nemesis

On 27/04/2019 at 18:48, bougti said:

To leave the country the child will need to show a passport and the Thai birth certificate. That shows the child was born in Thailand and explains why there is no immigration record of the child.

Upon return to the country the child needs a passport/visa just as anybody else.

It doesn’t say the baby was born in Thailand 🤔