Moving back to the UK car insurance

tommyhawkes

Hi all,

Just a bit of advice really for a couple that have just had to move back to the UK.

We have recently just tried our hand at a skills assessment for VETASSESS knocked back on a technicality and have had to come home because our visa has run out, while things are in motion. From looking at some of the other poor folk on here it could be any time or never!

Any who, I have been outside of the UK for 3 and a half years now and although I have driven vehicles in Australia, but they have all been company vehicles.

The problem I am having is the UK no claims bonus, which I now appear to have lost because I haven't had UK cover for over 2 years!?

Has anyone else been in this position!? Do you just have to suck it up, or is there a more cheaper option!? I haven't seen quotes like this since I was 19, I'm now 32!

Apologies if there's a similar thread, I just couldn't see any, and the insurance companies are being as clear as mud (as ever).

Hi, when I moved back last year after 13 years away I found some places would recognise my overseas no claims, I’m currently with Admiral. I suppose the problem is being able to prove your overseas no claims if the insurance was via your company. Although I have never been asked to provide my evidence........(I could though as AAMI did provide a statement, Allianz refused!)

Are you able to get a statement of no claims in your name? Otherwise it might be you have to suck it in unfortunately. 😬

Good luck. This ping pong lark is a pain. I hope you get some good news on your visa application. Then you get to do it all again back to Oz! 🤪

I got my Aussie insurance company to write a letter stating that I'd had no claims in the five previous years, and my UK insurance accepted that as proof of no claims. Could you do something like that with the company that your work went through?

ETA: We were with AAMI in Aus and are with Aviva here. No problems for either company to do this.

Edited by LKC