MoveCube Preparation

WayneM

What size move cube is this? I’ll be using one later in the year
That's a large size movecube, which is about two thirds the size of our box room upstairs which was where we started setting things aside a few months ago.

The bed frame on the right is uk super king size, would have left it there as a marker if it wasn't for the possibility of it falling on a child [emoji86]

Thats the way to do it!
If you have a should we/shouldnt we take this pile, keep it handy for the movecube day, as there's usually a bit of space to add some more bits and pieces in
Yes, there are a few bit of furniture we still have listed for sale, but the way it is going I think we will be taking them instead, seems like we will have the room.

Almost definitely will have more space left than anticipated; if anybody wants anything shipping from Lancashire to Brisbane let me know [emoji38]

There you go, I have got this off to a very good start. Now I have left this in Nandini's very capable hands to finish off whilst I work away from home. (Don't worry, she had a good 6 year old assistant)

Assuming she hasn't filed for divorce before I get back, we should be good to go [emoji41]IMG-20190423-WA0011.jpegIMG-20190423-WA0012.jpeg

• Like 1

On 24/04/2019 at 03:59, WayneM said:

That's a large size movecube, which is about two thirds the size of our box room upstairs which was where we started setting things aside a few months ago.

The bed frame on the right is uk super king size, would have left it there as a marker if it wasn't for the possibility of it falling on a child emoji86.png

Thanks! I won’t have many boxes but i do have my superking bed & mattress plus a large corner lounge suite which thankfully divides into three pieces. Hopefully the large move cube is ok 🤞

1 hour ago, Mel.b said:

Thanks! I won’t have many boxes but i do have my superking bed & mattress plus a large corner lounge suite which thankfully divides into three pieces. Hopefully the large move cube is ok 🤞

The dimensions of a large Movecube:   Length 2.264m          Height 1.871m       Width 1.464m           

So your bed and mattress (which are 1.8m x 2m) will fit, but consider how much width you'll have left by the time the bed is in place (measure the height of your bed/mattress and deduct it from 1.464 metres).  I wonder if the lounge suit would fit in?  And you wouldn't have much space  left for boxes. 

Edited by Marisawright

13 minutes ago, WayneM said:

Does this depend on the type of bed?

A divan style is much less portable than a 'flat packable' frame, which probably takes up less volume than the mattress itself.

Of course it would.  A mattress is 20 to 30 cm deep and a divan base about the same, so the bed would be sticking out from the wall by 40 to 60 cm.  That means you would have less than 90 cm left (in other words, about the width of a doorway).  

Whereas if you have a frame instead of a divan, you're much better off.

Our Movecube is being delivered back to us tomorrow. It left the UK on 21 January. No problems in Australia but my husband had to pay customs duty on his new set of golf clubs. It will be nice to see some familiar things but we didn't ship any furniture. 

Main thing is to pack it up as much as possible so nothing can move inside. It is surprising how much you can fit in. We used bags of bedding and towels to fill any gaps. You couldn’t have fitted much else in when we were done. 

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Judy said:

Our Movecube is being delivered back to us tomorrow. It left the UK on 21 January. No problems in Australia but my husband had to pay customs duty on his new set of golf clubs. It will be nice to see some familiar things but we didn't ship any furniture. 

How much was the customs? Is it just 10% gst?

I used a movecube...small

We didnt bring any furniture, but we managed to fit in over 25medium and 8large Storage king boxes plus other plastic containers etc... 

Its all a bit of tetris.

We had considered bringing our bed... then we researched and realised bed sized are different here .. meaning we would have had to keep shipping in our bedding from UK.... at least for our bed we had...

And yes.. the divan will take up more space than a framed bed. 

The choices for us were large movecube and bring bed and have tonnes of space in the cube as not much other furniture was worth bringing or fully fill up a small one.

In the end... the stuff in our "could go" pile fit in and on the day we had heaps of space... the driver told us we had 45 more minutes so we went on a spending spree at Home Bargains and bought hangers, kids simple toys, shoe horns, etc... only as this was the nearest ship to us.

Ill find you some pictures...

All in cost us £700ish on UK side and another $350ish on this side...door to door.

Funny thing... an Ozzy driver picked up in UK... and an English raised Ozzy dropped off this side... he lived over 35yrs in the UK

Thanks! I won’t have many boxes but i do have my superking bed & mattress plus a large corner lounge suite which thankfully divides into three pieces. Hopefully the large move cube is ok [emoji1696]
If it was me, I'd probably be making little cardboard models scaled down on an accurate ratio representing the cube, and each significant piece of furniture to see how they would fit.

Now that may be a sensible idea, or may be my excessively logical oddball computer programmer side coming out... [emoji848]. Our cube was crammed with smaller stuff so I didn't with ours, but I have done it with furniture to go into prospective home purchases before...

When I analysed our stuff, it was the small things that cost £10, 20, 30, 40 each that really added up in value. Each box we put in was worth hundreds based on what we paid for the contents.

The kids wanted to be transported in boxes too, which may have been cheaper than visas with medicals, flight etc., but we hadn't planned ahead and had already included them both in our original application and bought the flights already [emoji87]

We booked our cube 2 months in advance. They said we only needed to book a few weeks ahead, but once they did the site inspection (with non-refundable deposit paid) we had that blue plastic floor cutout and some free boxes to start to visualise with.
  • Like 2