Financial assistance

Slaydbyme

We finally had our visa approved which was a great relief.

Moving to Queensland in August. For years I've witnessed migrants in the UK receive financial support. Wondering if there are any benefits for a family moving to Queensland? First time buyers assistance, or other settlement support?

Thanks

10 hours ago, Slaydbyme said:

Moving to Queensland in August. For years I've witnessed migrants in the UK receive financial support. Wondering if there are any benefits for a family moving to Queensland? First time buyers assistance, or other settlement support?

When you say "migrants",  do you mean migrants or refugees?  Refugees do get some assistance in both countries.    Migrants from EU countries would be entitled to assistance under reciprocal agreements, just like UK residents would get assistance if they went to the EU.  

If you are coming to Australia as a permanent resident, then you are entitled to benefits.  If you're on a temporary visa, you're not.

20 hours ago, Slaydbyme said:

Thanks

Knowing some friends who have recently migrated to the UK, we'd be interested to know what financial support is available there. They are Canadian and neither is entitled to anything, as yet not even to NHS treatment. Not that they expected anything, sounds a bit wrong to arrive in a country that has granted you a visa and instantly ask about financial help. 

• Like 1