Flu Shots

starlight7

Had our flu shots today. Must say I have been having them for the past 5 years and not had the flu since.  I used to get it every single year before, it was awful.  I am going to have my shingles vac soon ( after the flu one has settled).  I hesitate with this one because hub had a really bad reaction to it but having seen a few friends get shingles probably better to risk side effects.

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

Had our flu shots today. Must say I have been having them for the past 5 years and not had the flu since.  I used to get it every single year before, it was awful.  I am going to have my shingles vac soon ( after the flu one has settled).  I hesitate with this one because hub had a really bad reaction to it but having seen a few friends get shingles probably better to risk side effects.

Both my husband and I had the shingles vac. after a friend had shingles and said she had never been in such pain in her life, and had only wished she had had the vac. Based on this and other stories from friends we went for the jab. We had no reaction at all luckily. Quite a few of us had the vac at about the same time and only one person felt poorly afterwards,  i don’t know if the vac was definitely the cause? 

Our Dr is giving the flu jab in 2 weeks, I always have it, never had flu luckily and hope to keep it that way.

Have also had the 5 year pneumonia vac, it seems to make sense to me to try and protect my health, says she coughing hard with a chest infection!!

• Like 2

Had my flu jab on Friday last week. Felt for the last couple of days as though I’m about to come down with something but hoping it’s just a small side effect rather than having caught flu before my vaccine takes effect!
OH won’t get vaccinated for
Flu despite him having every travel vacc available. So I won’t exactly be full of sympathy and care if he catches something nasty!

On 16/04/2019 at 11:31, ramot said:

Both my husband and I had the shingles vac. after a friend had shingles and said she had never been in such pain in her life, and had only wished she had had the vac. Based on this and other stories from friends we went for the jab. We had no reaction at all luckily. Quite a few of us had the vac at about the same time and only one person felt poorly afterwards,  i don’t know if the vac was definitely the cause? 

Our Dr is giving the flu jab in 2 weeks, I always have it, never had flu luckily and hope to keep it that way.

Have also had the 5 year pneumonia vac, it seems to make sense to me to try and protect my health, says she coughing hard with a chest infection!!

The pneumonia jab knocked seven bells out of me. I was really very sick for a couple of weeks after. Upside is that I haven't had pneumonia since.

I do often get side effects from the flu jab. I think that is just your body mounting a defence.

Haven't had the shingles jab, but I still have the scars from when I got shingles fifteen years ago. Worse pain I've ever had. Off work for a month and I was self employed at the time.

2 hours ago, newjez said:

The pneumonia jab knocked seven bells out of me. I was really very sick for a couple of weeks after. Upside is that I haven't had pneumonia since.

I do often get side effects from the flu jab. I think that is just your body mounting a defence.

Haven't had the shingles jab, but I still have the scars from when I got shingles fifteen years ago. Worse pain I've ever had. Off work for a month and I was self employed at the time.

Interesting about the pneumonia jab - I'm planning on getting mine when I go back to UK along with the shingles jab, for which I will then be eligible. I knocked back the pneumonia jab a few years ago but think I should have had it. I had shingles at 21 and I would rather not get them again - very painful, hence the rush to jab. Flu shots rarely knock me about.

28 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

And there's me thinking it was the other way around.  I need to do some research!    

I think shingles can be spread if you haven't had chickenpox.  Being similar virus's, I wonder if you've had chickenpox you don't get Shingles quite as bad?  Let us know the results of your research marisa.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ali said:

I think shingles can be spread if you haven't had chickenpox.  Being similar virus's, I wonder if you've had chickenpox you don't get Shingles quite as bad?  Let us know the results of your research marisa.

I just had a quick google:  the varicella zoster virus can be spread from a person with shingles to someone who has never had chicken pox. The unfortunate recipient might develop chicken pox.  Aaargh!  Perhaps I should enquire at the Dr's about the shingles jab.  

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 16/04/2019 at 19:12, starlight7 said:

😞

Shingles is awful from what I have seen. I didn't know there was a vaccination for it though. Not something I have ever really thought about to be honest.

I have never had a flu vaccination. I started using nutritional medicine (diet) and natural medicines (herbals) ten years ago, and have never had flu since.

I suppose side effects from a vaccination, against the actual illness, is something you just have to weigh up the pros and cons on.

A personal decision

10 hours ago, Tootsie said:

😞

Shingles is awful from what I have seen. I didn't know there was a vaccination for it though. Not something I have ever really thought about to be honest.

I have never had a flu vaccination. I started using nutritional medicine (diet) and natural medicines (herbals) ten years ago, and have never had flu since.

I suppose side effects from a vaccination, against the actual illness, is something you just have to weigh up the pros and cons on.

A personal decision

In UK shingles vaccine is offered to all 70 year olds. I had mine as soon as I could and no ill effects even though I had the flu /shingles double whammy. It's quite common in older people especially at times of stress apparently - my dad has  had it  at least twice to my knowledge and a good friend, my age, recently had shingles of the mouth - definitely horrible! I didn't know you could get it in the mouth but it follows one or other of the cranial nerves. 

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

In UK shingles vaccine is offered to all 70 year olds. I had mine as soon as I could and no ill effects even though I had the flu /shingles double whammy. It's quite common in older people especially at times of stress apparently - my dad has  had it  at least twice to my knowledge and a good friend, my age, recently had shingles of the mouth - definitely horrible! I didn't know you could get it in the mouth but it follows one or other of the cranial nerves. 

The same in Australia, offered free for all 70 year old Australians. We had to pay as we weren’t PR. Worth every penny, a friend told me she had never experienced such pain when she got shingles and she is a tough cookie.

• Like 1

Never had a flu jab until this year.  We had to get inoculations for travel to India and GP said we should also get flu jab as we were also travelling to Indonesia and he had seen loads of flu cases from travellers from there recently. 

Only had flu once and that was last year, I just quarantined myself so I didn’t pass it on! Hubby gave it to me after getting it from a work colleague who should have stayed home!  We both stayed home and avoided our elderly neighbours.

Sometimes the immunity of the herd is important and I know people say you should get inoculated to protect the more vulnerable.

On 07/09/2019 at 22:22, Tootsie said:

I won't bother with a vaccination. I only use herbal medicine.

Why?

I can understand why someone rejects western medicine. Pharma companies aren't exactly my favourite.

But why do you assume that something grown in the ground is going to be less harmful?

On 13/09/2019 at 00:35, newjez said:

Why? I can understand why someone rejects western medicine. Pharma companies aren't exactly my favourite. But why do you assume that something grown in the ground is going to be less harmful?

Hello

I find your comment a bit odd to be honest.

I don't assume anything.

And I am hardly running around the streets digging up roots and eating them!

I use Western Herbal Medicine, as dispensed by a qualified herbalist.

The medicine is properly prepared, manufactured, tested, etc.....

It works just as well as pharmaceutical medicine, but without such dire side effects.

Having suffered dire side effects from pharmaceutical medicine in the past, I am not willing to take that route any longer.

In the 15 years I have been using herbals for a variety of health issues, I have never had a negative side effect from them.

Pharmaceutical medicine has its place, but I would only personally use it if all else fails and as a last resort.

Personal choice.

3 hours ago, Tootsie said:

It works just as well as pharmaceutical medicine, but without such dire side effects.

I'm sure it is, but side effects are an individual thing. Just because something is herbal, doesn't imply it is safer or weaker. Many pharmaceutical medicines are based on herbal medicines. If you take anything there is a risk. Making it herbal will not mitigate the risk. As I have said, pharmaceutical companies are profit making and don't always have your best interests at heart. But herbal medicines are no different. It's all about making money.

5 hours ago, Tootsie said:

Hello

I find your comment a bit odd to be honest.

I don't assume anything.

And I am hardly running around the streets digging up roots and eating them!

I use Western Herbal Medicine, as dispensed by a qualified herbalist.

Having suffered dire side effects from pharmaceutical medicine in the past, I am not willing to take that route any longer.

In the 15 years I have been using herbals for a variety of health issues, I have never had a negative side effect from them.

Pharmaceutical medicine has its place, but I would only personally use it if all else fails and as a last resort.

Personal choice.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/feb/06/herbal-medicines-can-have-dangerous-side-effects-research-reveals&ved=2ahUKEwjIrpCtydnkAhUsUhUIHQcnCp8QFjACegQIEBAK&usg=AOvVaw07XinoFqdiVl3lfRrdD7EQ&ampcf=1

Your choice as you say.

On 18/09/2019 at 12:33, newjez said:

Just because something is herbal, doesn't imply it is safer or weaker.

???

Goodness gracious. Of course NOT.

I never said that.

Herbal Medicine is powerful, and can potentially be harmful if used incorrectly, and you would have to be a fool to think otherwise.

To give you an example of where I am coming from on my stance.

I was on a strong pharmaceutical a few years ago, and from it I had several potentially very harmful side effects as a result. The doctor gave me more pharmaceutical medicine to treat the side effects, but I also had side effects from the new medication.

I swapped over to a herbal medication that treated the same condition but with only one manageable side effect, rather than seven unmanageable ones.

Thousands of people die from pharmaceutical medicine every year,  so I will take my chances elsewhere.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tootsie said:

???

Goodness gracious. Of course NOT.

I never said that.

Herbal Medicine is powerful, and can potentially be harmful if used incorrectly, and you would have to be a fool to think otherwise.

To give you an example of where I am coming from on my stance.

I was on a strong pharmaceutical a few years ago, and from it I had several potentially very harmful side effects as a result. The doctor gave me more pharmaceutical medicine to treat the side effects, but I also had side effects from the new medication.

I swapped over to a herbal medication that treated the same condition but with only one manageable side effect, rather than seven unmanageable ones.

Thousands of people die from pharmaceutical medicine every year,  so I will take my chances elsewhere.

I do use tea tree oil on my toenail as it has a fungal infection. I used the regular medication but it did nothing. The tea tree oil also does nothing but it is a lot cheaper.

• Haha 1