British pension

scouseroo

4 hours ago, scouseroo said:

I have dual citizenship  will that make a difference?

Do you plan on going back to live in Australia? If you did, you could claim the pension. You may be able to leave after getting it. But you would need to prove residency. A holiday wouldn't count. The expense may not be worth it unless you are considering staying there.

6 hours ago, newjez said:

Are you sure about that? I thought it depends on citizenship?

No, it depends on residency.   

To claim the Australian pension, you must be physically in Australia on the date you reach pensionable age. There is also a 2 year residency requirement - which means:

You can arrive in Australia two years before that date, claim your pension, then leave

OR

You can arrive on that date, claim the pension, and then stay for 2 years.   

If you don't fulfil the 2 years residency, even if you have successfully claimed the pension and started receiving it, they will stop paying it and require you to pay back any already paid.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, scouseroo said:

Hi I lived in Australia for 25 years ,moved back to UK in 2005.I am 66 years old and receive a uk pension with pension credit to top up the pension.Am i entitled to claim an Australian pension or a part top up to my UK pension.

Did you not pay into any Australian superannuation scheme while you were there?