You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

scouseroo

British pension

Hi I lived in Australia for 25 years ,moved back to UK in 2005.I am 66 years old and receive a uk pension with pension credit to top up the pension.Am i entitled to claim an Australian pension or a part top up to my UK pension.

No

4 minutes ago, scouseroo said:

I have dual citizenship  will that make a difference?

Pretty sure no. You have to have been in Australia for 2 years prior to claiming, or stay for 2 years after I think. Someone else will know for sure. @Marisawright is pretty across this subject! 

4 hours ago, scouseroo said:

I have dual citizenship  will that make a difference?

Do you plan on going back to live in Australia? If you did, you could claim the pension. You may be able to leave after getting it. But you would need to prove residency. A holiday wouldn't count. The expense may not be worth it unless you are considering staying there.

6 hours ago, newjez said:

Are you sure about that? I thought it depends on citizenship?

No, it depends on residency.   

To claim the Australian pension, you must be physically in Australia on the date you reach pensionable age. There is also a 2 year residency requirement - which means:

You can arrive in Australia two years before that date, claim your pension, then leave

OR

You can arrive on that date, claim the pension, and then stay for 2 years.   

If you don't fulfil the 2 years residency, even if you have successfully claimed the pension and started receiving it, they will stop paying it and require you to pay back any already paid.

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

23 hours ago, scouseroo said:

Hi I lived in Australia for 25 years ,moved back to UK in 2005.I am 66 years old and receive a uk pension with pension credit to top up the pension.Am i entitled to claim an Australian pension or a part top up to my UK pension.

Did you not pay into any Australian superannuation scheme while you were there?

23 minutes ago, scouseroo said:

Yes they are stil valid but none paid into since 2000

You should still be eligible to get the money paid out from them. Super schemes are not subject to the same rues as government pensions.