Getting another visa after expiry of first one

Froggy

Hi I hope someone can help me. I hold a 189 skilled visa but haven’t yet moved to Australia due to meeting my girlfriend while I was doing my visa application (the law of the sod) I have been to Australia since I got it to kick it into life but need to go before September 2019 and stay there for 2 years to get it renewed. My girlfriend is not ready to move there yet due to her elderly parents but we wouldn’t rule it out in the future so my question is this: Having let one visa lapse would this have any impact on a second application or does it not matter? Many thanks in advance, Rich

12 hours ago, Froggy said:

Hi I hope someone can help me. I hold a 189 skilled visa but haven’t yet moved to Australia due to meeting my girlfriend while I was doing my visa application (the law of the sod) I have been to Australia since I got it to kick it into life but need to go before September 2019 and stay there for 2 years to get it renewed. My girlfriend is not ready to move there yet due to her elderly parents but we wouldn’t rule it out in the future so my question is this: Having let one visa lapse would this have any impact on a second application or does it not matter? Many thanks in advance, Rich

If you don't use it, you'll probably lose it. 

If you let your current 189 lapse, you'll have to apply for a RRV.  To get a RRV, you'll have to prove "strong ties to Australia that will be of benefit to Australia".   It sounds like you've got no ties at all, so it's likely you'll have to wave goodbye to your hard-won 189.    You would have to start all over again from scratch - and you'd be wise to research that, because the lists have changed, the requirements have changed, the number of points required has changed (65 is the minimum but in reality, you need a lot more to stand any chance).  

WRussell is an agent and you'd be well advised to have a consultation with him or another reputable agent to work out what your options are.