Mr Hardy

Alan DJ Hardy

Has anyone got/had a student visa? 

I am about to apply to a TAFFE higher education centre in Coffs Harbour for a years study. As I am nearly 37 and want to take my wife and children with me i have been told it will be more difficult. 

I have been told that I will have to prove funds either before I get there or at the airport. I will have paid for my education and my children’s education before I get there but will be relying on working the 20 hours a week I am allowed to while there as with my wife. I already have a position but would like to know the chances of being asked to prove funds?

regards

Al

Student visas are not a pathway to a permanent visa although sadly many think they are.  It sounds like you will be struggling financially with the limited hours you can work all for the hope of being able to remain in Oz. That is very unlikely. If it was as easy as get a student visa and somehow that will enable you to remain then everyone would do that. By all means go there to study if you want but go knowing it’s a short term move and you will have to leave at the end.  As for employer sponsorship, you have to have a skill on the occupation list as a starter.

3 minutes ago, Alan DJ Hardy said:

Hi I am hoping that the degree helps me and I can look for a sponsor once there. I have an occupation on the new DAMA for the Northern Territory.

TAFE doesn't offer degree courses - you will need to enrol at a university for that and the fees are extortionate.

31 minutes ago, Alan DJ Hardy said:

Thank you for your reply. I am really wanting to move there. I have a migration company doing a recruitment drive looking for a Employer sponsor but my thoughts are if not then if I were to study and get a degree then it may help me in the future.

Who is the migration company?  Migration agents do not do recruitment drives.  There is a scam company currently offering that service, they look very legit but they are a con.  We've had two people posting here recently who got caught out, handing over thousands for a service that does nothing.  

I can't recall their name but I do recall they tell people they need a "Certificate of Employment" or some such, which is not a requirement for any type of visa, and Australian employers don't need it either.  It's their own invention to make them sound convincing. 

Edited by Marisawright

22 minutes ago, Alan DJ Hardy said:

Hi I am hoping that the degree helps me and I can look for a sponsor once there. I have an occupation on the new DAMA for the Northern Territory.

A degree might give you some extra points, but TAFE does not offer degree courses.   

What is your occupation and what are the requirements?   If the requirements say you need a degree and x years of experience, then the years of experience usually need to be AFTER you get the degree, not before.   And you won't be able to stay in Australia to work that experience, because an employer can't sponsor you on a 482 unless you meet the requirements already - it's a chicken and egg thing. 

Edited by Marisawright