Can I use my Teaching degree?

Oz2019

We will be in Australia for 4 years on my partner's TSS 482 visa from June and my question is around me and my background.

I don't have to work and the plan is for me not to really but I do have a 1st class BA (Hons) Primary Education Degree from the UK and I have taught in Primary schools for 3 years but in the lower end of the school i.e. 4/5 year olds. It would be a shame not to offer Australia something while I am here. My interest is in Early childhood education so would I be able to use my existing degree and potentially work whilst there or would I have to complete a course in Australia such as a TAFE course to be more relevant? I am very happy to do that if that's the case.

I would also be interested in being an Education Aide, would my degree and experience be useful?

Thanks in advance.

NB - I do not need opinions on whether it will be easy to find work on the type of visa we are coming over on. Thank you.

Edited by Oz2019

1 minute ago, ali said:

In WA for example teachers have to register with the dept of education as per the teacher registration act 2012 .. sure it must be similar in other states.  

Ah understood - Thank you will look at the relevant area. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Is your BA a 4 yr degree? If it is then you can register with the state you're proposing to live in. Whether you get work is another matter altogether. If your degree is only 3 years then you won't be being a teacher as you need 4 years of a University course with the right number of supervised practice hours.

Teacher aide positions are low paid, erratic and often given to those who are known to the schools. Not much required by way of qualifications although more and more are getting cert 3s to bolster their cvs. Quite a lot are teachers who just want party time work while their own kids are little.

You might be better off aiming for private tutoring if you want to stay teaching or into office work of some description of you're flexible about how you  want to spend your time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Is your BA a 4 yr degree? If it is then you can register with the state you're proposing to live in. Whether you get work is another matter altogether. If your degree is only 3 years then you won't be being a teacher as you need 4 years of a University course with the right number of supervised practice hours.

Teacher aide positions are low paid, erratic and often given to those who are known to the schools. Not much required by way of qualifications although more and more are getting cert 3s to bolster their cvs. Quite a lot are teachers who just want party time work while their own kids are little.

You might be better off aiming for private tutoring if you want to stay teaching or into office work of some description of you're flexible about how you  want to spend your time.

My BA is a 4 year degree. I wouldn't be able to apply for permanent positions being a temporary resident but I could apply for casual/temporary which I believe is the equivalent to supply in the UK.

Noted re the teaching aides, thank you. Money isn't top of the list as it is more about giving something to the Australian community while I am there.

I hadn't thought of private tutoring so thank you for that.

19 minutes ago, Oz2019 said:

My BA is a 4 year degree. I wouldn't be able to apply for permanent positions being a temporary resident but I could apply for casual/temporary which I believe is the equivalent to supply in the UK.

It would be worth checking what the regulations are in your state regarding permanent positions.  If there's no regulatory bar then I don't see a problem with applying for a permanent job, provided you're honest.  You're going to be in Australia for four years so there's a good chance that if you get the job, you'll stay in the job for the full term:  whereas an Australian citizen might only last a year or two before deciding to travel or go for promotion or whatever. Some employers would find that attractive!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You're going to be in Australia for four years so there's a good chance that if you get the job, you'll stay in the job for the full term:  whereas an Australian citizen might only last a year or two before deciding to travel or go for promotion or whatever. Some employers would find that attractive!

I didn't think of it like that!

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It would be worth checking what the regulations are in your state regarding permanent positions. 

Will definitely do that, thanks very much.

I work for Tradewind Australia, we currently have an office in Melbourne that can help with supply teaching (known as casual relief teaching here) as well as contract and Teachers Assistant work.  We cover all of metropolitan Melbourne – the public transport isn’t as extensive here as in the UK and a lot of our traveller teachers opt to get themselves a car for the time they’re here to increase their options for work.  We assist a lot of teachers from the UK, New Zealand and Canada, as well as our returning Aussies.

Each state has its own governing body for teaching.  In Victoria, this is the Victorian Institute of Teaching and you can apply to register with them before you get here. They will verify your qualifications and follow up on your police checks (I would advise doing this as soon as you make firm plans to come here as their turnaround time isn’t always speedy!). Their website is (www.vit.vic.edu.au ).  If you teach in Victoria, then decide to move to New South Wales (Sydney), you would still need to register with the NSW governing body.

Our academic year runs January to December, with four terms.  Our summer holidays are over Christmas and through January.  The time that there is a prevalence of casual relief teaching is around the winter months (May-October).

I hope this gives you some information to go on with!  Please let me know if you have any further questions , you can also check out our website https://twrecruitment.com.au/ for more info!

• Like 2

We will be in Australia for 4 years on my partner's TSS 482 visa from June and my question is around me and my background.
I don't have to work and the plan is for me not to really but I do have a 1st class BA (Hons) Primary Education Degree from the UK and I have taught in Primary schools for 3 years but in the lower end of the school i.e. 4/5 year olds. It would be a shame not to offer Australia something while I am here. My interest is in Early childhood education so would I be able to use my existing degree and potentially work whilst there or would I have to complete a course in Australia such as a TAFE course to be more relevant? I am very happy to do that if that's the case.
I would also be interested in being an Education Aide, would my degree and experience be useful?
Thanks in advance.
NB - I do not need opinions on whether it will be easy to find work on the type of visa we are coming over on. Thank you.

As an alternative to schooling, have you considered working in an early childhood centre? If your qualification covered anywhere between the 0 and 8 age ranges, you could have them assessed for equivalence by ACECQA and if successful will come out as either certificate iii, diploma or early child teacher (ECT) equivalent.

Cert iii and diploma will allow you to work as an educator (different from teacher), and does not require registration with the state.
Working as an ECT does require registration in some states though.

Careers in centres tend to be lower paid than schools however, but may provide more opportunities for full time positions
  • Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:24, Bran said:

As an alternative to schooling, have you considered working in an early childhood centre? If your qualification covered anywhere between the 0 and 8 age ranges, you could have them assessed for equivalence by ACECQA and if successful will come out as either certificate iii, diploma or early child teacher (ECT) equivalent.

Cert iii and diploma will allow you to work as an educator (different from teacher), and does not require registration with the state.
Working as an ECT does require registration in some states though.

Careers in centres tend to be lower paid than schools however, but may provide more opportunities for full time positions

Hi Bran,

Thanks for this, I am definitely going to look into it.

Kind regards,

Marc.