Resident return visa expired. New application not granted yet

JCD

Hi there, 

I’m looking for help re a resident return visa query. I applied for an RRV a bit over a month from now and my current RRV expired today. I am traveling next week and really need to leave the country and come back to Australia 10 days after, however my RRV has not been granted yet. Is there any possibility to apply for another visa or single entry visa to enter back to Australia when my RRV hasn’t been granted yet without messing with my PR visa? Thanks heaps! 

Presumably you do not meet the 2 years in 5 residence requirement? As the Department advises: "Applications that do not meet the residence requirement will take longer to finalise than the published processing times advertised above. Processing timeframes for these applications can be up to 12 weeks."

If you leave without an RRV you will create a break in your PR status. You can apply for a bridging visa, although that is tight on your timeframe, which will allow you to leave and return but that doesn't preserve the continuous PR. Have you provided the RRV processing team with evidence of your travel and the reasons for it?

Hi Paul,

thanks so much for your quick reply. Yes I have provided them with all the necessary documentation and documents they need. And your first assumption is correct. Been back in Australia for 1 and half years, So don’t meet the 2 out of 5. The bridging visa is probably not an option as it will bring my PR at risk? Or not? 

Any possibility to speed up the RRV process with immi or do you have any any other advise? 

Thanks heaps

And Paul, I have also tried to get in touch with the RRV team specifically, however do not have email address for them and they couldn’t help me with this over the phone. Is this something you potentially have? Thanks 

Remember also that if you remain onshore and your RRV is refused for any reason, then you remain a permanent resident and can make another application when you have built stronger ties. If you are offshore (or go offshore and return on the bridging visa), you are no longer holding a visa to allow you to return/remain as a permanent resident - which opens a whole host of problems for you if the RRV is refused.

I would seriously consider whether the travel is essential if the RRV is not granted before you leave.

It's published on the DHA website that the processing time is 12+ weeks so asking them to rush yours when you've only been waiting 4-5 weeks is unlikely to be successful.  As Paul has suggested, I think you're better off rethinking your travel plans and simply waiting or the RRV to be granted.

You maybe able to get them to prioritise your application if you can provide evidence that the travel is necessary and of benefit to Australia, such as travelling for business purposes on the request of your Australian employer. Simply stating that you need to travel as you have a trip booked, is unlikely to elicit a response.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...