You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

ramot

Was this a drone or was I hallucinating?

Posted (edited)

Ok I know I will get some amusing replies to the question but Ive tried to rationalise it but I am seriously spooked, so please try not to laugh.

On Saturday night/Sunday morning at about 3.30 am I needed to go to the toilet, I was aware of a strange sort of buzzing noise from outside, and thought perhaps there was a problem with the solar panels or swimming pool pump? I looked out of the window and saw a red object hovering, then moving away over the lake, then back and out of sight behind next door a 2 storey house, then reappearing, before moving away again. This happened several times, It seemed fairly close and not too high. I can’t be more specific than that.

I honestly don’t know if I was half asleep and or hallucinating or it was real? It certainly felt real but who on earth would be flying a drone at that time of night and close to houses. There are only 9 houses in our Crescent and we have an open area in front and a lake behind. I don’t think my husband believes me, and with hindsight I wish I had grabbed my iPhone and taken a photo. 

I know no one can answer, but if anyone has a drone, do they show up red at night, are they silent or do they make a noise?. Worried I am loosing the plot!!!

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

The buzzing noise you heard makes me think it was a drone.   Drones do have a red or green light I think.  Could you see how big the object was?  

As for you losing the plot   ..................  I lost it long ago.  😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toots said:

The buzzing noise you heard makes me think it was a drone.   Drones do have a red or green light I think.  Could you see how big the object was?  

As for you losing the plot   ..................  I lost it long ago.  😉

Just appeared as a really red hovering/ moving object didn’t notice any green, from memory a bit smaller than say the moon at a distance, oval/ round?

They should ban these drones to the public, few weeks ago some guy was taking footage of people on the beach, very intimidating and annoying.......
Yes it's a shame you didn't grab your phone...

• Like 2

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

2 minutes ago, ramot said:

Just appeared as a really red hovering/ moving object didn’t notice any green, from memory a bit smaller than say the moon at a distance, oval/ round?

I wonder if anyone else saw it.  Probably not at that time of night.  Hmmmmmm oval/round  .........  I wonder   ..............  dare I say UFO.  Mind you I won't believe in them until I actually see one with my own eyes.  

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Toots said:

I wonder if anyone else saw it.  Probably not at that time of night.  Hmmmmmm oval/round  .........  I wonder   ..............  dare I say UFO.  Mind you I won't believe in them until I actually see one with my own eyes.  

Honestly can’t really remember the shape it was just a really red shape. It was a dark night. Will try to chat to the neighbors.

Edited by ramot

17 minutes ago, ramot said:

Honestly can’t really remember the shape it was just a really red shape. It was a dark night. Will try to chat to the neighbors.

Dare I suggest insects, drones that I have seen are quite  silent and I would have thought difficult to control in the dark. Just a thought.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Dare I suggest insects, drones that I have seen are quite  silent and I would have thought difficult to control in the dark. Just a thought.

Open to any suggestions apart from someone coming to take me away!  Not sure what insects would show up so red at night, but funnily my first reaction was that it sounded like a loud mosquito noise. 

We have a path round the lake so some idiot could have been there? 

Edited by ramot

9 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

All the drones I've come across make a buzzing sort of a noise.  Suppose it depends how far away they are.  The further away the quieter the noise.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ramot said:

Open to any suggestions apart from someone coming to take me away!  Not sure what insects would show up so red at night, but funnily my first reaction was that it sounded like a loud mosquito noise. 

We have a path round the lake so some idiot could have been there? 

Possibly you're right, maybe a drone with a light on it to allow someone to see it to be able to control it.

• Like 1

All drones have lights, depending on the make and model they can be different configurations and colours.

• Like 1

Probably a drone, not little green men

• Like 1

could have been a alien spaceship

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

21 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

could have been a alien spaceship

Too small even for me who is a bit vertically challenged. 

• Like 2

How far in the distance was it ? Could it have been the police helicopter in the distance ?

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, calNgary said:

How far in the distance was it ? Could it have been the police helicopter in the distance ?

Cal x

I reckon it was over the lake to my right, in my eye view, hovered and then went left and I lost sight because next door blocked my vision, repeated this a couple of times, then went who knows where. I was too sleepy to really take it in to start with or to go outside, and so cross with myself to not think to take a photo, but I definitely saw something odd.

We get a lot of helicopters here night flying as there is a training school at Maroochydore, so definitely not a helicopter, it was far too close.

It still feels illogical that someone was flying a drone at that time of night, but I suppose anything is possible.

If I ever find out I will post.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

It could have been a "night specific" drone equipped with nav lights and/or anti collision lights. Drones don't always come in the "helicopter" configuration that you're used to seeing but can be any shape and size. The EPA and DAF use night drones for tracking nocturnal animals and other research. They have similar, but smaller, night vision cameras and heat seeking devices such as those on police helicopters. I saw one being set up once whilst I was returning at dusk from a photo exped in mangroves and this particular one was huge, about the size of a tea chest as was the control box that they were launching it from. The whole kit took up the tray of a ute. That particular one was being used by QUT.

• Like 1

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

11 hours ago, Johndoe said:

It could have been a "night specific" drone equipped with nav lights and/or anti collision lights. Drones don't always come in the "helicopter" configuration that you're used to seeing but can be any shape and size. The EPA and DAF use night drones for tracking nocturnal animals and other research. They have similar, but smaller, night vision cameras and heat seeking devices such as those on police helicopters. I saw one being set up once whilst I was returning at dusk from a photo exped in mangroves and this particular one was huge, about the size of a tea chest as was the control box that they were launching it from. The whole kit took up the tray of a ute. That particular one was being used by QUT.

Looking for the shark in the lake!!?

• Like 1

Wouldn't surprise me if burglars use drones to stake out places.

I want it all, and I want it now.

12 hours ago, ramot said:

Looking for the shark in the lake!!?

Could have been looking for anything, especially something that they'd tagged much earlier with a non gps tag. The police are also using night equipped drones where they don't have the use of a chopper.

• Thanks 1

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

On 08/04/2019 at 21:36, ramot said:

It still feels illogical that someone was flying a drone at that time of night,

Drone nerds can be a bit obsessive though.  My son in law is one of those - and a night owl.    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he told me he'd been out testing a drone at night.   It  wasn't him though - he definitely hasn't been out of Hobart lately.  🙂

• Haha 1