You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Perthbum

Brunei implements stoning to death under anti-LGBT laws

Brunei is introducing strict new Islamic laws that make anal sex and adultery offences punishable by stoning to death.

The new measures, that come into force on Wednesday, also cover a range of other crimes including punishment for theft by amputation.

The move has sparked international condemnation.

Brunei's gay community has expressed shock and fear at the "medieval punishments".

"You wake up and realise that your neighbours, your family or even that nice old lady that sells prawn fritters by the side of the road doesn't think you're human, or is okay with stoning," one Bruneian gay man, who did not want to be identified, told the BBC.

The sultan of the small South-East Asian nation on Wednesday called for "stronger" Islamic teachings.

"I want to see Islamic teachings in this country grow stronger," Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah said in a public address, according to AFP news agency, without mentioning the strict new interpretation of Sharia, or Islamic law.

Homosexuality was already illegal in Brunei and punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Muslims make up about two-thirds of the country's population of 420,000. Brunei has retained the death penalty but has not carried out an execution since 1957.

What is punishable under the changes to the penal code?

The law mostly applies to Muslims, including children who have reached puberty, though some aspects will apply to non-Muslims.

Under the new laws, individuals accused of certain acts will be convicted if they confess or if there were witnesses present.

Individuals who have not reached puberty but are convicted of certain offences may be instead subjected to whipping.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

I suggest you avoid the country Perthbum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

10 minutes ago, Parley said:

Where shall we go next then sexy cheeks.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

1 hour ago, Parley said:

And don't patronise any of his hotels - including the Dorchester in London.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The far-right backward looking religious conservatives are becoming bolder across the globe.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

As a deeply closeted gay man I find this dispicable.

• Haha 1

You don’t need to be a gay man to find stoning another human to death despicable. As for deeply closeted- you are finally showing us your compassionate side - brave of you to come out like that!
  • Like 2

Was known as the “abode of peace” when I lived there!!!

There has been a gradual increase in the power of the religious leaders for many years. It used to be a fairly tolerant country,, but there has over the years apparently been an abuse of power and rumours were rife when I lived there and I will not put into print why the balance of power might now have shifted and the country become more strictly religious. 

Talking to friends who have left very recently there is a very different atmosphere there nowadays, much less tolerant and more religious emphasis there nowadays. It was always a firmly Muslim country but a fairly tolerant one as well, however you didn’t step out of line, but you could live there very happily. 

The introduction of Sharia law in 2014? was a worrying change and now the horrific addition of stoning etc is totally unacceptable.

I like the idea of making all the Brunei hotels into gay icons, making them the focus of every flamboyant extravaganza possible, that might be more of a protest that would embarrass the Sultan than a ban.

Not sure if any of this world wide condemnation is known by the general population in Brunei? I have only had a very quick look online at the Borneo Bulletin, so don’t know if it was reported.

7 hours ago, ssiri said:

You don’t need to be a gay man to find stoning another human to death despicable. As for deeply closeted- you are finally showing us your compassionate side - brave of you to come out like that!

I don't get it?

18 hours ago, simmo said:

Does your wife know ?

I want it all, and I want it now.

10 hours ago, Parley said:

Does your wife know ?

No, I'm deeply closeted..

• Haha 1