register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

wrussell

New rules for partner points

Hi all,

I am in a funny situation regarding the new rules for partner points. My defacto partner is a NZ citizen who has been working in Australia for several years. She does not have PR, nor does she need or seek it. Her job skills are not in the current list.

I seem to be particularly disadvantaged: I cannot claim the max points since I am not single and in a relationship with a non-citizen, however my partner already has all of the PR benefits with her special category visa and does not seek PR. In order to at least claim 5 points, I would have to include her in my application and, if successful, do the paperwork and pay for an expensive visa she does not need or want.

Wondering if anyone is anyone in a similar situation? What's your take?

Thanks!

It may be worthwhile in the long run to include her in your application.  She would be eligible for more government benefits as a PR holder than she is as a NZ citizen.

However to answer your question, AFAIK you cannot claim partner points unless you include her in your application regardless of whether she wants the visa or not.