Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

wrussell

New rules for partner points

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, wokeuplikediss said:

QLD now closes all skill visas (189,190,489) until next Financial year (this July). 

 

I wonder that, will they keep closing it until this new visa launching in November this year? Cause my visa will be expired in September.....

This doesn't even make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/04/2019 at 19:43, 31Hillbury said:

Can you supply a link to where it states Queensland not taking any more 189s until July? 

It is in the website

 

https://migration.qld.gov.au/latest-news/queensland-business-and-skilled-state-nomination-programs-now-closed/

 

Queensland has now closed state nomination for all business and skilled visas (submitted through SkillSelect) from today 8 February 2019.

No further invitations will be issued from this date. BSMQ will continue to process applications which have been already invited for state nomination prior to this date until our quota is exhausted.

BSMQ will re-open the State Nomination Program in the new financial year. Please submit a new EOI after the new occupation lists have been released in July. We will not select any submitted EOI’s prior to this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/04/2019 at 12:11, Jelly said:

This doesn't even make sense.

IKR.

I live onshore in regional QLD. I just wish they will open in July as I'm now ready to apply and meet all their requirements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 14/04/2019 at 16:20, wokeuplikediss said:

It is in the website

 

https://migration.qld.gov.au/latest-news/queensland-business-and-skilled-state-nomination-programs-now-closed/

 

Queensland has now closed state nomination for all business and skilled visas (submitted through SkillSelect) from today 8 February 2019.

No further invitations will be issued from this date. BSMQ will continue to process applications which have been already invited for state nomination prior to this date until our quota is exhausted.

BSMQ will re-open the State Nomination Program in the new financial year. Please submit a new EOI after the new occupation lists have been released in July. We will not select any submitted EOI’s prior to this time.

I thought the 189 visa was for any state? 

So how can they close one state off? 

Edited by 31Hillbury
Misspelled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I thought the 189 visa was for any state? 
So how can they close one state off? 
They have closed off state nominations only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 04/04/2019 at 15:25, Raul Senise said:

With the elections around the corner, the Government is announcing changes to Immigration Policy and new visa programs left right and centre.

Only time will tell if any of the announced changes come to fruition.

If we see a change in Government, we will likely see a completely different direction in Immigration Policy.

It is possible that all of the recently announced programs and changes will come to nothing.

 

With the current government staying in power, we'll see if these November changes and intake cut hold.

Edited by CivCdn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CivCdn said:

With the current government staying in power, we'll see if these November changes and intake cut hold.

Considering they made the changes, I think they will. They might even cut further. I think any further reform is out the window though, it's 3 more years of accountants/engineers/ICT pro's with 80 pts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. With the new rules for partner points, does this mean that if your partner is already 45 and above but as long as he/she can demonstrate competent English, then you can still claim the additional 5 points? I asked this because I happen to see the below posting in a site. It seems that for a partner to be "skilled", age and skills must both be satisfied. Does this imply then that if your partner for instance is already 45 and above, then she is no longer considered "skilled" and hence, this satisfies the 5 points to be awarded for "non-skilled" partner? Thanks in advance for those who will answer.

 

There will be a NEW ordering system for ALL points test applicants as follows 

If all other points claims are equal, invitations for points tested visas will be ranked by the Migration Points Test as described below:

· First – primary applicants with a skilled spouse or de facto partner

· Equal First – primary applicants without a spouse or de facto partner

· Second – Primary applicants with a spouse or de facto partner who can demonstrate competent English but does not have the skills for skilled partner points (age and skills)

· Third – Primary applicants with a partner who is ineligible for either competent English or Skilled partner points. These applicants will be ranked below all other cohorts, if all other points claims are equal.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/04/2019 at 02:25, Raul Senise said:

With the elections around the corner, the Government is announcing changes to Immigration Policy and new visa programs left right and centre.

Only time will tell if any of the announced changes come to fruition.

If we see a change in Government, we will likely see a completely different direction in Immigration Policy.

It is possible that all of the recently announced programs and changes will come to nothing.

 

Dear sir,

Is this applicable for Sub class 190? 

I am an admitted Legal Practitioner at Supreme Court of NSW. Do i need to apply for skill assessment letter from LPAB for the occupation Barrister ? 

Regards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

For upcoming 491 visa, what does skilled partner exactly mean?

In which list(s) occupations should match? 

- long term/short term/ROL - OK

- Same territory list as well? I have heard 491 occupations will have one list(?) for all territories. Is it so? 

- Skills assessment providers should match as well (for both, applicant and partner)? 

What else have to be considered not to looses 10 points?

 

thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/07/2019 at 17:20, Ladok said:

Hi all,

For upcoming 491 visa, what does skilled partner exactly mean?

In which list(s) occupations should match? 

- long term/short term/ROL - OK

- Same territory list as well? I have heard 491 occupations will have one list(?) for all territories. Is it so? 

- Skills assessment providers should match as well (for both, applicant and partner)? 

What else have to be considered not to looses 10 points?

 

thanks 

What country are you from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/08/2019 at 03:31, Canada2Australia said:

What country are you from? 

Georgia 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/04/2019 at 21:14, wrussell said:

From November 2019, the Skilled Migration Points Test will be adjusted to award additional points to primary applicants when their partner has competent English but does not meet the existing requirements for skilled partner points. Single applicants will also be awarded additional points to ensure they are not disadvantaged. This measure is estimated to result in an unquantifiable increase in revenue over the forward estimates period. The Department of Home Affairs will be provided with $0.3 million in 2019-20 to implement this measure.

The Skilled Migration Points Test currently awards additional points to primary applicants where their partner is under 45 years old, has competent English, and has a skilled occupation applicable for the visa subclass and stream they have been invited to apply for.

These changes will prioritise applicants who are single or whose partner can demonstrate competent English and therefore have the best potential to participate in the Australian labour market.

I am currently sitting on 55 points, this is including the 5 points for my partners English and age. She doesn’t meet requirement for skills side of things...

If these changes come in to play in November,  will this give me more than 5 points for my partners part of the point scoring?

Also, I read that applying for state sponsorship (190 visa) will increase from 5 to 15 points, is there any truth in this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Brianm93 said:

I am currently sitting on 55 points, this is including the 5 points for my partners English and age. She doesn’t meet requirement for skills side of things...

If these changes come in to play in November,  will this give me more than 5 points for my partners part of the point scoring?

Also, I read that applying for state sponsorship (190 visa) will increase from 5 to 15 points, is there any truth in this? 

That doesn't sound good.   You need a minimum of 65 points to apply for a visa BUT do you understand that it's a competition, not a queue?   The people with the highest points get picked first.   Hundreds of applications come in every week and if they have higher points, they'll just leapfrog over you, and you'll be left behind, possibly until your application expires.

Recently, there have been so many applicants with high points for the 189 visa, no one with 65 points has got a look-in.   I don't know about the 190, that's a different system.

When the changes come in November, you might get extra points - but then, so will everyone else, so you'll still be lagging behind.

I'd strongly suggest you see a good migration agent.  Most of the agents on these forums will give you a free initial consultation.

 

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

When the changes come in November, you might get extra points - but then, so will everyone else, so you'll still be lagging behind.

Precisely!


Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Marisawright said:

That doesn't sound good.   You need a minimum of 65 points to apply for a visa BUT do you understand that it's a competition, not a queue?   The people with the highest points get picked first.   Hundreds of applications come in every week and if they have higher points, they'll just leapfrog over you, and you'll be left behind, possibly until your application expires.

Recently, there have been so many applicants with high points for the 189 visa, no one with 65 points has got a look-in.   I don't know about the 190, that's a different system.

When the changes come in November, you might get extra points - but then, so will everyone else, so you'll still be lagging behind.

I'd strongly suggest you see a good migration agent.  Most of the agents on these forums will give you a free initial consultation.

 

Yeah I understand it’s one big competition, I should’ve mentioned I’ve booked the English test, so I’m hoping to boost my point to 75.

Can only hope for a huge slice of luck I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×