register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

tonyman

Hello from tonyman

26 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Me too.  I wonder if Phoenix would include both of us in the "negative" brigade, but as far as I'm concerned, all I'm trying to do is add a dose of reality when people start talking about their "Australian dream".  

Australia is my home and I know it's yours too. Neither of us has any desire to go back to the UK, which I stopped thinking of as "home" a long time ago.  But we both know it's not a "dream", it's a country which, like every other country, has its good and bad points.   It's different, not better or worse. Anyone who already has a good job with a nice job and happy family  in the UK, who thinks Australia is automatically going to give them an EVEN BETTER life, needs to have that pointed out. 

Frankly, if it bursts their bubble, then it was just a bubble in the first place. 

I take your points entirely and no I'm not including you in the negative brigade!  I just think there are a handful who have no regard whatsoever to the actual question being posed and go straight into a very patronising spiel questioning whether they have a visa and if not how unlikely they are to get one now and wobetide if its a temporary one...it can feel quite aggressive reading it and I have cringed at times.  Australia is a very different place it was 10 years ago and basic research will show that, I think its just courtesy to assume that most people asking questions on here will have  done some research and do have some awareness of what migrating might entail, I think its courtesy to just answer the question they ask and not patronise them..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phoenix16 said:

I just think there are a handful who have no regard whatsoever to the actual question being posed and go straight into a very patronising spiel questioning whether they have a visa and if not how unlikely they are to get one now and wobetide if its a temporary one...it can feel quite aggressive reading it and I have cringed at times.  Australia is a very different place it was 10 years ago and basic research will show that, I think its just courtesy to assume that most people asking questions on here will have  done some research 

I think it's courtesy to assume the opposite.  These days, when people do research, they do it on Google, not in books, so the information they receive is often patchy.   

I've been working online for the last twelve years and I'm constantly amazed how bad most people are at using Google.  In fact, I make money from websites specifically created to answer questions people should EASILY be able to get themselves!   So yes, people do "basic research" but there's a very high likelihood that there are big gaps in their knowledge.  If they don't know the questions to ask, they will never get the answers they need.

You've got to remember, too, that you may get tired reading the same old warnings, but our answes are not designed for regulars.  They're designed to give a NEW person an answer to their question and a rundown on things they may have missed.

And finally, "woe betide if it's a temporary visa" - yes, definitely.  Anyone who abandons their life in the UK and uproots their family on the strength of a temporary visa is bonkers, unless they treat it as a short-term adventure.  I don't believe it's possible to overstate that.

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think it's courtesy to assume the opposite.  These days, when people do research, they do it on Google, not in books, so the information they receive is often patchy.   

I've been working online for the last twelve years and I'm constantly amazed how bad most people are at using Google.  In fact, I make money from websites specifically created to answer questions people should EASILY be able to get themselves!   So yes, people do "basic research" but there's a very high likelihood that there are big gaps in their knowledge.  If they don't know the questions to ask, they will never get the answers they need.

You've got to remember, too, that you may get tired reading the same old warnings, but our answes are not designed for regulars.  They're designed to give a NEW person an answer to their question and a rundown on things they may have missed.

And finally, "woe betide if it's a temporary visa" - yes, definitely.  Anyone who abandons their life in the UK and uproots their family on the strength of a temporary visa is bonkers, unless they treat it as a short-term adventure.  I don't believe it's possible to overstate that.

I doubt we are ever going to agree, I just find it very disrespectful to those contemplating a move to Australia to assume the majority of them are incapable of doing sufficient research to gain a true understanding of what's ahead.  

You may believe that those contemplating a temporary visa are 'bonkers' and I wouldn't necessarily disagree, however, that's a matter of our own opinion and i'm not in the habit of forcing my opinions on others, relentlessly, particularly where they clearly don't want it.  There are still success stories coming out of temporary visa's, quite a recent one on here where the new poster was clearly very irritated with all the unwarranted advice being forced on others.

We can all see the dwindling numbers on here and i'm sure its largely due to the stricter visa rules etc but I am also inclined to think there are a number of new members who come on and ask a question, endure the 'rundown of things they might possibly have missed (or simply aren't capable of researching for themselves, obviously)' and decide never to return, perhaps we are just not welcoming them in the way they had hoped and they just don't get this 'supportive group all helping each other' feel we think we promote........(New poster referred to in last paragraph being a case in point, only a hand full of posts but most recent ones indicate they won't bother sticking around and its not hard to see why).

• Like 3

19 hours ago, simmo said:

Good to have you back.

I keep telling myself that I will leave but I have brexit remoaners to deal with. When Britain leaves the EU I will leave pio. 

so you could be drawing your pension before that happens ! ... 

• Haha 1

Looks like I've opened a can of worms here???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

Just now, tonyman said:

We just wanted you to feel at home....😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, tonyman said:

worth it to have you back ... one of the good guys ... 

• Like 1

Its just to make you feel right back home again!!!

• Like 1

Aawwwwww thank you bottler.... X
Might take me a while to get back into stride as I've had a bad couple of years,
Separated after 30 yrs together but I'm so happy now..... Met a great Scottish lass

worth it to have you back ... one of the good guys ... 
  • Like 2
  • Congratulations 1

Hahaha

Its just to make you feel right back home again!!!

haha could take a while as trying to get used to the new look site.....

We just wanted you to feel at home....

4 hours ago, tonyman said:

Might take me a while to get back into stride as I've had a bad couple of years,
Separated after 30 yrs together but I'm so happy now..... Met a great Scottish lass emoji16.png

sorry to hear about the separation ... 

That's OK, was on the cards for years, I'd just had enough of being used and took for granted.....

sorry to hear about the separation ... 
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

I doubt we are ever going to agree, I just find it very disrespectful to those contemplating a move to Australia to assume the majority of them are incapable of doing sufficient research to gain a true understanding of what's ahead.  

You may believe that those contemplating a temporary visa are 'bonkers' and I wouldn't necessarily disagree, however, that's a matter of our own opinion and i'm not in the habit of forcing my opinions on others, relentlessly, particularly where they clearly don't want it.  There are still success stories coming out of temporary visa's, quite a recent one on here where the new poster was clearly very irritated with all the unwarranted advice being forced on others.

We can all see the dwindling numbers on here and i'm sure its largely due to the stricter visa rules etc but I am also inclined to think there are a number of new members who come on and ask a question, endure the 'rundown of things they might possibly have missed (or simply aren't capable of researching for themselves, obviously)' and decide never to return, perhaps we are just not welcoming them in the way they had hoped and they just don't get this 'supportive group all helping each other' feel we think we promote........(New poster referred to in last paragraph being a case in point, only a hand full of posts but most recent ones indicate they won't bother sticking around and its not hard to see why).

I think some of the problem is the presentation, sometimes it's peoples opinions presented rather than some facts and suggestions of avenues to explore.

It's very difficult to judge what peoples circumstances are in any other country, in the UK you might appear to have a good job but behind the facade people are feeling exploited and worn down often and seeing the sun much more is a real pick me up and it draws people.

It doesn't matter how much you try to explain the downsides of the temp visas people want something better than driving around the North circular at 5.45 pm in pouring rain with the temperature around 3 or 4 degrees and you're stuck at Hangar lane gyratory in traffic that isn't moving, then Brisbane under any conditions is terribly attractive

• Like 3

Hi Skani, twins are just 10 now, don't get to see much of any of my 5 kids unfortunately.....

Your youngest (twins) were still quite little when you were last on here:  they must be getting close to teenagers now?
  • Sad 1

What nasty comment was that Phoenix?

I remember you and welcome back! 
A bit shocked at the ‘nasty’ comment... yes many agitators In the past but then the site was bustling and thriving, it accommodated those wanting advice and those wanting some banter with some sparring included,  you chose to engage or ignore.  If you want the honest truth, the site has quitened very much and the ‘nasties’ have definitely been taken over by the ‘bitter’ ones who love to come out and burst the bubbles of those hoping to move here, offering their ‘wisdom’ whether the OP asked for it think or not... it’s very draining to read and you do always detect the undercurrent of glee behind the words, bring back the ‘nasties’ any day I say...

Nice to see you, to see you nice .....
As good old Bruce used to say, only us oldies will remember that....

G'day tonyman, nice to se you.
  • Like 1

I remember you Tonyman, welcome back.

I haven’t been on here as much these days, but I have been making an effort lately to check in to see what’s  happening.

• Like 1

Flights booked for Sydney 29/09/2015 :cool:

Keep up the effort Metoo..... Thanks pal

I remember you Tonyman, welcome back.
I haven’t been on here as much these days, but I have been making an effort lately to check in to see what’s  happening.

• Like 1

Hey Nick hope you're doing ok 🙂 im here intermittently to browse and post the odd thing but quite busy these days myself. 

• Like 1

On 01/04/2019 at 12:47, tonyman said:

Separated after 30 yrs together but I'm so happy now..... Met a great Scottish lass emoji16.png

Me too mate after 31yrs but I'm happy as a pig in the proverbial, finally comfortable in my own skin, doing whatever takes my fancy. I just wonder why I stuck it so long. Took a couple of yrs before I realised that I was better off, but I've got my kids, the dog, and my cameras, and that's enough for me. Good to know that you've come out of the "black hole"

• Like 4

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

Me too mate after 31yrs but I'm happy as a pig in the proverbial, finally comfortable in my own skin, doing whatever takes my fancy. I just wonder why I stuck it so long. Took a couple of yrs before I realised that I was better off, but I've got my kids, the dog, and my cameras, and that's enough for me. Good to know that you've come out of the "black hole"

Thank you JD....... TBH.... i'm happy as too and should have left her many years ago...... Ive list out on the kids though as if course I'm the bad guy but if only people really knew what I was putting up with......

Good on you too pal.. x

• Like 1

Hey Nick hope you're doing ok im here intermittently to browse and post the odd thing but quite busy these days myself. 
Welllll hellllooooo BC..... The very first person I ever had a conversation with on here all those yrs ago...... Good to see you back around these parts too x

Long story my friend but I had to kiss many poodles before I found my princess and soul mate.... Something I've always wanted

So what's new you little devil you?
  • Like 1