AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

Just received email invitation for test today> Here is my timeline

Applied onlinde: 16 Sep 2016

Email Invitation for test: 27 Sep

Test: 12 Oct

Hi nicolo,

Is there any option to reschedule the test date online through a web link in the email invitation you received?

Hi Guys,

So I have been here almost 5 years and I'm just starting the last leg of my road to citizenship............. very excited, or at least I was until I was just told by DOI that there is now a 9 month wait!!

1. 17/09/16
  2. City of Perth
  3. Online
  4. Acknowledgement email - 17/09/16
  5. Test Date Email - 27/09/16
  6. Date of the Citizenship Test - 16/01/17 / re-arranged to 06/01/17
  7. Date of ceremony - Waiting

I just spent 1 hour and 10 mintues on hold to the DOI for a 6 minute phone call with an extremely rude guy who refused to listen to what I was actually asking him. I have friends who applied just before and after me whose test dates were all allocated at least 10 days before my original, called to enquire and low and behold there were plenty of dates available prior to the one I'd been allocated.

I couldn't really understand why the waiting period has changed form 80 days to 9 months but he was adamant that was what it was now, again no explanation.

I have a few friends who also applied earlier in the year and it took 3-4 months from application to ceremony for them.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with the WA applications and why there's such a long wait?

Hi Guys,

So I have been here almost 5 years and I'm just starting the last leg of my road to citizenship............. very excited, or at least I was until I was just told by DOI that there is now a 9 month wait!!

1. 17/09/16

2. City of Perth

3. Online

4. Acknowledgement email - 17/09/16

5. Test Date Email - 27/09/16

6. Date of the Citizenship Test - 16/01/17 / re-arranged to 06/01/17

7. Date of ceremony - Waiting

I just spent 1 hour and 10 mintues on hold to the DOI for a 6 minute phone call with an extremely rude guy who refused to listen to what I was actually asking him. I have friends who applied just before and after me whose test dates were all allocated at least 10 days before my original, called to enquire and low and behold there were plenty of dates available prior to the one I'd been allocated.

I couldn't really understand why the waiting period has changed form 80 days to 9 months but he was adamant that was what it was now, again no explanation.

I have a few friends who also applied earlier in the year and it took 3-4 months from application to ceremony for them.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with the WA applications and why there's such a long wait?

Hi Linzle,

Whilst I no longer live in Perth I do live in WA and have been waiting since the end of June for my test date with no luck, it's my council that is the delay and considering I'm in the Kimberley it's anyone's guess when I'll get my test. I have called the number on the citizenship page first time the guy told me nothing, the second time the lady said all was fine just waiting for the council to provide a date. I advise you to call back but enter your number so they can call you back. Hopefully you'll get more answers. Good luck.

Hi Guys,

All you people are so helpful here on this forum. I thank you all for giving guidance and support to others. It has helped me a lot to understand the whole process and its timeline through your experiences. I also want to share my information so that other people can keep a track on it and can ask for any guidance and information.

1. Date Applied: 18/09/2016

2. City/Council Area: Melbourne, Maribyrnong

3. Online / Paper: Online

4. Date Received the Acknowledgement Email: 18/09/2016

5. Date Received the Citizenship Test Email: 24/09/2016

6. Date of the Citizenship Test: 09/01/2017

6a. Later Changed Test-Date: 12/10/2016

7. Date of ceremony: N/A

8. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal): N/A

I am also seeking some information.

Although they have already mentioned on the Test Appointment Email that Test Appointment takes 2 hours!

But still Can anyone tell me approximately how much time (including wait time, test time & application documents review time etc.) it takes on the Test Day at Melbourne Immi Office? I am a single Applicant.

Please let me know as my schedule is pretty tight on that day. Thank you.

Edited by PDP

Hi Linzle,

Whilst I no longer live in Perth I do live in WA and have been waiting since the end of June for my test date with no luck, it's my council that is the delay and considering I'm in the Kimberley it's anyone's guess when I'll get my test. I have called the number on the citizenship page first time the guy told me nothing, the second time the lady said all was fine just waiting for the council to provide a date. I advise you to call back but enter your number so they can call you back. Hopefully you'll get more answers. Good luck.

Wow, since June, I guess I'm lucky then! I know it's just a waiting game but can be so frustrating at times! It didn't even come up with the option to enter my number, I'm guessing they must have been far too busy. Thanks so much for your help and information, fingers crossed you'll hear something before too long!

Hi Guys,

All you people are so helpful here on this forum. I thank you all for giving guidance and support to others. It has helped me a lot to understand the whole process and its timeline through your experiences. I also want to share my information so that other people can keep a track on it and can ask for any guidance and information.

1. Date Applied: 18/09/2016

2. City/Council Area: Melbourne, Maribyrnong

4. Date Received the Acknowledgement Email: 18/09/2016

5. Date Received the Citizenship Test Email: 24/09/2016

6. Date of the Citizenship Test: 09/01/2017

6a. Later Changed Test-Date: 12/10/2016

7. Date of ceremony: N/A

8. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal): N/A

I am also seeking some information.

Although they have already mentioned on the Test Appointment Email that Test Appointment takes 2 hours!

But still Can anyone tell me approximately how much time (including wait time, test time & application documents review time etc.) it takes on the Test Day at Melbourne Immi Office? I am a single Applicant.

Please let me know as my schedule is pretty tight on that day. Thank you.

Hi,

I just had mine two weeks ago in Melbourne. It was pretty quick, I didn't have to wait at all. It was all up less than 15 minutes. They copied all the docs, that takes a 10 min and you have 45 min for the test.

Has anyone applied from Sydney recently??

I don't know what is the delay, but since 12 September 2016, I have heard nothing from them.. I called them few times and the last one the guy was so rude and he recorded my details and told me that if you call again next time, they know how many time you have been calling immigration? he insisted that they don't know what's the delay and advised this could take up to 80 days.. im just worried if I get the email citizenship test later .. my test date will be really really delay like mid next year...

so please advise any timeline if anyone from Sydney has recently just applied?

Thanks

Has anyone applied from Sydney recently??

I don't know what is the delay, but since 12 September 2016, I have heard nothing from them.. I called them few times and the last one the guy was so rude and he recorded my details and told me that if you call again next time, they know how many time you have been calling immigration? he insisted that they don't know what's the delay and advised this could take up to 80 days.. im just worried if I get the email citizenship test later .. my test date will be really really delay like mid next year...

so please advise any timeline if anyone from Sydney has recently just applied?

Thanks

If I may ask, what's the rush? I waited 6 weeks to receive an appointment email, whilst a few others have reported that they've had to wait a few months. It will happen when it's meant to happen, and no amount of phone calls will speed things up for you. I have been waiting over 4 months now for a ceremony invite but it is how it is and there's nothing much that can be done besides waiting.

My suggestion to you would be to stop calling them as it'll only frustrate you more. Let it take its own course, and don't worry about it too much. Good luck :)

If I may ask, what's the rush? I waited 6 weeks to receive an appointment email, whilst a few others have reported that they've had to wait a few months. It will happen when it's meant to happen, and no amount of phone calls will speed things up for you. I have been waiting over 4 months now for a ceremony invite but it is how it is and there's nothing much that can be done besides waiting.

My suggestion to you would be to stop calling them as it'll only frustrate you more. Let it take its own course, and don't worry about it too much. Good luck :)

Thanks Catalyst2012, I kinda a bit in the rush now, when I applied my citizenship, I submitted my name change documentation as well via deed polls and this deed polls document is for the whole family (little bit complicated). the whole family were born in different names. I borrowed this document (original deed polls document) from my mom as its only 1 for the whole family. She is in overseas and she needs this document as well if she needs to renew her passport or ID card (which im not sure when). I know that I needed this document up till the citizenship test as I need to show the original documents to the case officer. That's why .. hopefully my mom does not require the document soon .. and Im hoping my citizenship test date is not far away .. but I doubt it now.

The longer I received the email, the more longer my citizenship test date will be..

Update:

1. Date applied: 22/3/16

2. City/Council area: Maribyrnong, Melbourne

4. Date received the acknowledgement email: same day - 22/3/16

5. Date of the Citizenship Test: 16/05/16 ( Initially it was 7th June but I changed it to 25th May. I just got the email today 14th May :) again changed it to 16th May and passed the test with 100%. I asked the officer about Ceremony date and he said There are still more than 300 people waiting in my council (Maribyrnong, Melbourne) so it will take more than 3 months to get invited. Finger crossed .

6. Date of ceremony: 13/10/2016 ....

7. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal): normal

Hello,

I'm waiting for my citizenship ceremony in maribyrnong council.

I applied on 03/05/2016.

Test date was 6/06/2016.

I got approved on 22/06/2016.

Still waiting to get a date for citizenship ceremony.

I called dibp on 29/09/2016 and they said there is no tentative date as yet.

Just curious on what date you had your citizenship approved?

Hi,

I just had mine two weeks ago in Melbourne. It was pretty quick, I didn't have to wait at all. It was all up less than 15 minutes. They copied all the docs, that takes a 10 min and you have 45 min for the test.

Hi Alonus, Thank you so much for sharing that information. :smile:

Edited by PDP

Hi all,

Please find below my timelime.

1. Date Applied: 26/07/2016

2. City/Council Area: Brisbane

4. Date Received the Acknowledgement Email: 26/07/2016

5. Date Received the Citizenship Test Email: 28/07/2016

6. Date of the Citizenship Test: 20/09/2016

7. Approval letter: Waiting

8. Date of ceremony: Waiting

Regards,

We were approved on 18th June but so far have heard nothing for a ceremony (Randwick NSW). Have been told the wait is 3-6 months but a phone call to DIBP today indicated that were were not on the November listing and unlikely that we'll be on the December one either. So that will blow their 6 months. But then they're not bound by that. Even though they'll then say you have to do it within 12 months - but they are restricting you to a smaller window. We wanted to take a trip home in December and the wife wants to take extended time there for a few months as she's on maternity so it's a bit frustrating.

Quite why these government departments don't have service levels I'm not sure.

We were approved on 18th June but so far have heard nothing for a ceremony (Randwick NSW). Have been told the wait is 3-6 months but a phone call to DIBP today indicated that were were not on the November listing and unlikely that we'll be on the December one either. So that will blow their 6 months. But then they're not bound by that. Even though they'll then say you have to do it within 12 months - but they are restricting you to a smaller window. We wanted to take a trip home in December and the wife wants to take extended time there for a few months as she's on maternity so it's a bit frustrating.

Quite why these government departments don't have service levels I'm not sure.

It is likely that the helpline staff can only tell you what they see on your file, so if the 'ceremony allocation' team hasn't put a date on your file, you'll probably just get to hear the 'Wait 3-6 months' spiel. I am in a similar situation like yourself where I needed to book flights for my overseas trip in December, and since there was no indication of when I could expect to receive an invite, I just went ahead and booked them. I have advised them of my travel plans and I hope I haven't been pushed further down the queue as a result of doing that. Crossing my fingers for a November or December ceremony. Good luck to you and I hope you have yours this year!

Hi

Has anyone recently applied from Port Philip (Melbourne)? I submitted yesterday so interested how long I may be waiting for the test and then ceremony

Melbourne in general is pretty slow due to the high number of applicants, so you're probably in for a long wait. Took me 6 weeks to receive a test date, and have now been waiting over 4 months for a ceremony. I have been advised by the Dept that the average wait time in Melbourne for a ceremony is between 4-6 months. But a few people have had their ceremonies pretty quickly so there are exceptions.