Update!

Date applied - 1/09/15

City/Council area - Adelaide/Unley

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 1/09/15

Date of the Citizenship Test - 15/09/15

Date of ceremony - 26/01/16

Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal) - Normal

Spoke to the department a couple days ago and they confirmed I've made the shortlist for the Australia Day ceremony. Yippee! :)

Received my official invitation in the post as well. Citizenship ceremony is on 26 January for Australia Day! 5 months total for me. Good luck everyone!

Just thought I'd add in a couple of earlier steps to assist people in the PR process as it feels like one long journey with many big (and small) steps:

1. PR applied for - July 2014

2. PR approval issued - 3/12/2014

3. Citizenship application submitted online - 3/12/2015

4. City/Council area - Sydney, Waverley Council

5. Online application

6. Received application confirmation email - 4/12/2015

7. Date of Citizenship Test - 8/1/15

Will have to make sure I get some revision done over the Christmas holidays. Amazing adventure here for me and knowing the passport is in touching distance and a change of scenery and family time at home is making my time here and now enjoyable. Cold xmas next year!

Guest paulthepom

Date applied : 13/11/15

City/Council area : Bundaberg

Online / Paper : online

Date received the acknowledgement email 14/11/15

Date of the Citizenship test : 14/1/15

Date of ceremony TBA

Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal) normal

• 1 month later...

OK daft question time.

I passed my citizenship test last week, which was nice, but wondering in what form the 'approval' of application comes in. i.e. do I just sit and wait for the letter to pop in the letterbox inviting me to ceremony?

the whole test process was a bit of an unorganised mess - people waiting in a small room with no idea what to do, no signs up saying 'get a ticket, sit down, we check your documents, then you go sit your test'.

I passed the test and walked out with no clue as to what I was to do next. all the people working there were checking documents of applicants getting ready to sit the test.

anyone have a clue as to what the process is once the test is passed? thankyou

OK daft question time.

I passed my citizenship test last week, which was nice, but wondering in what form the 'approval' of application comes in. i.e. do I just sit and wait for the letter to pop in the letterbox inviting me to ceremony?

the whole test process was a bit of an unorganised mess - people waiting in a small room with no idea what to do, no signs up saying 'get a ticket, sit down, we check your documents, then you go sit your test'.

I passed the test and walked out with no clue as to what I was to do next. all the people working there were checking documents of applicants getting ready to sit the test.

anyone have a clue as to what the process is once the test is passed? thankyou

Hi there,

Once you pass the test, in a week or so time, you should receive a letter from the immigration saying congratulation and letting you know that you are not yet Citizen, and then tell you that you have to attend Citizenship Ceremony.

Within 6 months from the first letter, you should also receive two letters, one from immigration and one from your local council to notify your ceremony time and date.

The you go to the ceremony, then wa la, you are Aussie!

Hope all these help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. I passed mine in august and i received the approval letter 2 weeks later in the mail.

First week of december i received a letter from immigration giving my ceremony details which is oz day.

I haven't received anything else. All up it took 5 months 1 day from lodgement to ceremony and thats brisbane. Some places are much quicker and some much longer.

Best of luck with your plans.

Hi!

anyone here from the Sydney City Council? I sat the test mid September and was approved end of September, but I haven't had any news with regards to the citizenship ceremony. I was hoping for Australia Day, but given it's mid Jan already, I think it's unlikely... Has anyone from the Sydney city council got their invites? Next ceremony's on feb 19th.

cheers!

Edited by baguette

Hi!

anyone here from the Sydney City Council? I sat the test mid September and was approved end of September, but I haven't had any news with regards to the citizenship ceremony. I was hoping for Australia Day, but given it's mid Jan already, I think it's unlikely... Has anyone from the Sydney city council got their invites? Next ceremony's on feb 19th.

cheers!

I'm a bit later than you through Sydney council - test was in late October, approved very early November and nothing yet. Hoping for February ceremony as well...

I would like to apply for citizenship and am currently eligible, but I have booked a trip abroad returning 11th June. Is it possible to apply for citizenship, sit the test, but then postpone the ceremony until after my trip? Basically I want to travel entirely on my Irish passport for this trip, rather than go through the hassle and expense of getting an Australian one.

If not, when could I sensibly apply for citizenship, safe in the knowledge that I won't be given a date until after I return? Is it always 5/6 months or do they sometimes turn things around super fast? With the partner visa I'm currently on it usually takes over a year, but some people seemed to get really lucky and have it turned around in 6 weeks!

Where do you live Rob? I think often the country towns are quicker than if you're applying from a metropolitan area. I'm in Sydney and was told about 4 months after my test - so about 5 months from applying to ceremony. This timeline would be common, with some longer and a few (I think a poster from Pt Macquarie got it all done in 6 wks?) shorter.

Where do you live Rob? I think often the country towns are quicker than if you're applying from a metropolitan area. I'm in Sydney and was told about 4 months after my test - so about 5 months from applying to ceremony. This timeline would be common, with some longer and a few (I think a poster from Pt Macquarie got it all done in 6 wks?) shorter.

Not necessarily. I'm in regional Vic, my council only has 2 ceremonies a year, so if you just miss out on one, you have to wait 6 months for the next.

I would like to apply for citizenship and am currently eligible, but I have booked a trip abroad returning 11th June. Is it possible to apply for citizenship, sit the test, but then postpone the ceremony until after my trip? Basically I want to travel entirely on my Irish passport for this trip, rather than go through the hassle and expense of getting an Australian one.

If not, when could I sensibly apply for citizenship, safe in the knowledge that I won't be given a date until after I return? Is it always 5/6 months or do they sometimes turn things around super fast? With the partner visa I'm currently on it usually takes over a year, but some people seemed to get really lucky and have it turned around in 6 weeks!

I think the biggest variable is the council you're in. I applied for citizenship at the beginning of October and did the test a month later. I'm still waiting to hear about a ceremony date. When I sat the test, I was told my council is very busy so I don't know how much longer I need to wait. If you want to play it the safest way, apply when you return from your trip.

1. Date applied: 01/07/2015

2. City/Council area: Mornington Peninsula

3. Online / Paper : Online

4. Date received the acknowledgement email: 16/07/2015

5. Date of the Citizenship Test : 31/08/2015

6. Date of ceremony : Waiting

7. Type of ceremony: Normal

Hi the_whites

How come you got Citizenship in 3 years, I guess I got my PR on 25/11/2011 and I entered on 04/01/2012

But my citizenship eligibility came on 04/01/2016 ....

thanks

1. Date applied - 25/01/2016
  2. City/Council area - Woollahra Council
  3. Online / Paper - Online
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email - 25/01/2016 (auto generated email within 5 minutes)​
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test - Waiting
  6. Date of ceremony - Waiting
  7. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal) - Waiting

Hi the_whites

How come you got Citizenship in 3 years, I guess I got my PR on 25/11/2011 and I entered on 04/01/2012

But my citizenship eligibility came on 04/01/2016 ....

thanks

If 04/01/2012 was the first time you ever entered Australia then yes, you wouldn't become eligible until 04/01/2016 but if you'd visited Australia in the past you could have been eligible from 04/01/2015 (provided you hadn't left Australia in the previous 3 years) because you only have to have been in Australia for 3 out of the previous 4 years (including 9 months in the final year) and only need to have had PR for the final 12 months. Unfortunately you can't count any period before your first visit to Australia but your first visit doesn't need to have been on PR and you don't need to have been in Australia 4 years before your application (provided you had been in Australia before that).

1. Date Applied - 18/10/2015

2. City/Council area - Gold Coast

3. Online/Paper - Online

4. Date received the acknowledgement email - 18/10/2015

5. Date of Citizenship Test - 25/11/2015 (Test at Tweed Heads)

6. Date of Ceremony - Waiting

7. Type of Ceremony (Urgent/Normal) - Waiting

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there has any idea of 2016 ceremony dates for the Gold Coast? Thanks

Date applied - 17/10/2015

City/Council area - Sydney City Council

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 18/10/2015

Date of the Citizenship Test - 5/11/2015

Date of ceremony - 19/2/2016

Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal) - Normal

Just got the ceremony date yesterday - almost there!!

congratulations MB, I know you are in a similar mindset to me and many others, hanging on for the passport when your heart is really wanting to leave as the novelty has long gone.

Are you going to go for a 24 hour turnaround on the passport then jump on the next plane? 3 months seems quick, I'm looking at 6-7 months at Waverley unfortunately.

Test date received via email this morning - took 1 week to receive it.

1. Date applied - 25/01/2016
  2. City/Council area - Woollahra Council
  3. Online / Paper - Online
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email - 25/01/2016 (auto generated email within 5 minutes)​
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test - 01/03/2016
  6. Date of ceremony - Waiting
  7. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal) - Waiting