AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

On 25/09/2020 at 15:18, GUS said:

Hey mate... Im also from the Sunny Coast and haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Applied for my citizenship in April 2019 - still waiting for the interview/test

Hi, we also applied from the Sunny Coast, 31 May 2019, and have heard nothing.... have friends in Brisbane and Sydney who applied way after us and are already citizens!! Very frustrating!

1 hour ago, Wannabepilot said:

Hey all, and Kris in particular. I recently received the test invitation, too 🙂 Congrats on your test.

Citizenship App: 12-Feb-2020
Test Invitation: 25-Sep-2020
Test Date: 16-Oct-2020

Rescheduled Test Date: 2-Oct-2020
Approval: 
Ceremony: 

Council: Brisbane, QLD

Thank you and all the very best for your Test/Interview. I was there today, and it was really pleasant experience for me. Read lot of negative reviews about DoHA in Brisbane, but my experience was entirely opposite. Very friendly and helpful staff.

On 26/09/2020 at 17:01, Indianinoz said:

Hello,

You are one of the oldest applicants. Did you get a invitation for test just before COVID for March/April but got cancelled? Or are you yet to hear back anything at all?

The good news is that tests have begun in regional Queensland. I think Kawana Waters is your nearest Services Australia office which conducts tests/interviews. People who have gone over 12 months and are from Regional Australia have had luck emailing regional.citizenship.qld@homeaffairs.gov.au. Some of them had heard back that they're just waiting for tests to commence. Maybe you can try contacting this email address giving your citizenship application details and asking where your application is at? Other than FOI, this is the only other option I believe that has actually worked for people.

Please keep us updated as to how you go.

Hi there!

Nothing... all I received was an email from them asking for a copy of my original birth certificate (not the translated one) and shortly after that every thing was closed due to covid.

I will email them and let you know the outcome. Thanks 🙂 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KatieS said:

Hi, we also applied from the Sunny Coast, 31 May 2019, and have heard nothing.... have friends in Brisbane and Sydney who applied way after us and are already citizens!! Very frustrating!

It is indeed very frustrating!

Have friends on the Gold Coast that applied in September and October last year and are already citizens! Apart from covid, I don't know why the process here in the sunny coast is so slow.

13 minutes ago, GUS said:

Hi there!

Nothing... all I received was an email from them asking for a copy of my original birth certificate (not the translated one) and shortly after that every thing was closed due to covid.

I will email them and let you know the outcome. Thanks 🙂 

I just emailed them as suggested but just got this automated response. Part of which stated this ....

.  May I ask for an update on the progress of my application?

If you have an online ImmiAccount, you can check the progress of your application by logging into your account on our website at:www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/immi

Please do not contact the Department by email to enquire about the status of your application. The Department does not provide progress updates.  We will contact you or your nominated authorised representative if further information or action is required to progress your application.

All applicants for Australian citizenship are considered against the legal and policy requirements for Australian citizenship.  How long it takes to complete an application assessment varies from one case to another, depending on individual circumstances. Some applications will take longer to process than others, and it is not possible to provide a specific timeframe for individual applications.

28 minutes ago, GUS said:

Have friends on the Gold Coast that applied in September and October last year and are already citizens! Apart from covid, I don't know why the process here in the sunny coast is so slow.

Who knows!! Nice to hear I'm not the only one though, was starting to take it personally haha I saw the test office at Kawana opened up again last week so hopefully we'll hear something soon... 

On 28/09/2020 at 16:37, GUS said:

Hey, I found a woman at my work who also applied end April / early May 2019, was chatting to her yesterday about how slow it's all going, and she just messaged me to say she received an invite today to do the test at Kawana in November 😊

Update: I just got my invite too! 13 November 😁😁😁

Edited by KatieS
More info available
  • Congratulations 1

It seems things started to move in rural NSW as well 🙂
Finally! I received an invitation letter yesterday for the test in October after 18 months of waiting.
I have noticed that during my waiting period I have received three email surveys from the DHOA. The last one was last week but, this time they mentioned that this is the last survey to be done and, after I submitted the survey, I received the invitation letter.
Not sure if anyone else had this type of emails?

Hi Guys

Just a quick update , so we did our test (me , my husband and my elder son) in Sydney CBD office yesterday. Easy process, you just show your IDs and original documents attached to your application to the officer, then they ask you if you are interested in a virtual ceremony which we said yes of course (they said the councils are still having no ceremonies allowed). We all had different officers though .

We did the test and we all passed, only my son got his application approved an hour after , me and my husband still showing received until now. No idea why still but I assume maybe because we went for a holiday overseas once (my son did not leave the country at all).

Anyways will let you all how we go! hopefully our applications get approved with no further delays or requests . 

Cheers all

Citizenship application : 07/08/2019

Received invitation to do the test : 02/2020

Initial Test Date: 27/04/2020 (Cancelled due to covid)

Second Test Invitation: 11/09/2020

Test Date: 27/09/2020- Passed

Application: Received

Ceremony: TBA

City: Sydney CBD

• Congratulations 2

21 hours ago, coquette said:

Hi Guys

Just a quick update , so we did our test (me , my husband and my elder son) in Sydney CBD office yesterday. Easy process, you just show your IDs and original documents attached to your application to the officer, then they ask you if you are interested in a virtual ceremony which we said yes of course (they said the councils are still having no ceremonies allowed). We all had different officers though .

We did the test and we all passed, only my son got his application approved an hour after , me and my husband still showing received until now. No idea why still but I assume maybe because we went for a holiday overseas once (my son did not leave the country at all).

Anyways will let you all how we go! hopefully our applications get approved with no further delays or requests . 

Cheers all

Citizenship application : 07/08/2019

Received invitation to do the test : 02/2020

Initial Test Date: 27/04/2020 (Cancelled due to covid)

Second Test Invitation: 11/09/2020

Test Date: 27/09/2020- Passed

Application: Received

City: Sydney CBD

Congrats!  I've got my interview/test date now for Sydney CBD, but of course in the meantime I sent my passport back to UK for renewal (it was a gamble that (i) it expires and I can't travel if the border reopens or (ii) or I don't have it back in time for the test).  So I will probably end up rescheduling the test date, as UK passport processing is much slowed down because COVID.

Edited by vickyplum

5 hours ago, vickyplum said:

Congrats!  I've got my interview/test date now for Sydney CBD, but of course in the meantime I sent my passport back to UK for renewal (it was a gamble that (i) it expires and I can't travel if the border reopens or (ii) or I don't have it back in time for the test).  So I will probably end up rescheduling the test date, as UK passport processing is much slowed down because COVID.

that is a bit annoying.. hopefully you can reschedule for a suitable date soon. We will all get our citizenship eventually ..it is just taking looooooooooooong time 🙂

On 02/09/2020 at 00:32, Mariatif said:

Hi, I took my citizenship test on 4/08/2020. The lady checked all my docs and said all was good. Passed my test but my immi account still says 'Further assessment'. What does it mean? Is it normal ? Thanks 

Hi, can i ask you if you figured out what they meant by further assessment?

On 21/07/2020 at 18:55, mau88 said:

Hello everyone. Been a silent follower of this thread. Just sharing with you all our final timeline:

* Eligible to Apply for Citizenship – 22 Nov 2019

* City/Council area – Canberra, ACT

1.       Date applied (Online) – 26 Nov 2019

2.       Acknowledgement received (Online) – 26 Nov 2019

3.       Invitation to attend Citizenship Interview/Test – 20 Jan 2020 (for 23 Mar 2020)

4.       Citizenship Interview/Test – 30 Jan 2020 (rescheduled date)

5.       Approval Date (Online) – 03 Mar 2020

6.       Invitation to attend Ceremony – 24 Jun 2020

7.       Ceremony – 20 July 2020 (Actual Ceremony)

Thanks everyone for all the insights and inputs.

Hi Mau,

I applied my citizenship 1st week of April 2020. Still did not receive any response. Do you know any updates at Canberra test center? Did they resume the test/interviews?

On 01/10/2020 at 11:30, vickyplum said:

you didn't have to do that. Expired passport is also OK

Edited by Aug2017ACT

1 hour ago, Aug2017ACT said:

you didn't have to do that. Expired passport is also OK

I know I didn't have to do it. My options were to (1) Keep the passport until whatever time a citizenship test/interview date become available - bearing in mind there was NO guidance on this timeframe - with the risk of it expiring and becoming unusable.  Or (2) to send the passport back to the UK, with the risk that a test/interview date would come up in the meantime.

My new passport is on the way back to Aus now, which should be followed shortly by the old/expired one, so I won't have to delay the test/interview by much. 

Just a quick update i have finished the test today at the Brisbane city office, it was a straightforward and easy process, the officer reviewed my application online and only asked to see my QLD drivers license and i was made to sit the test, i cleared it and the officer said he was satisfied with the application and he is approving me for the ceremony.

He told me there is a 5-6 month wait for the ceremony , hopefully i get it by April 2021 latest, anyways looking at the current situation doesn't look like we travelling international anytime soon..

• Congratulations 1

7 minutes ago, nike1902 said:

Just a quick update i have finished the test today at the Brisbane city office, it was a straightforward and easy process, the officer reviewed my application online and only asked to see my QLD drivers license and i was made to sit the test, i cleared it and the officer said he was satisfied with the application and he is approving me for the ceremony.

He told me there is a 5-6 month wait for the ceremony , hopefully i get it by April 2021 latest, anyways looking at the current situation doesn't look like we travelling international anytime soon..

Congratulations! Was it also approved on the immi account?

9 hours ago, coquette said:

Congratulations! Was it also approved on the immi account?

Yup it was approved immediately in Immi account, thankfully they didn't ask for more documents, and were happy with what i gave which was pretty basic stuff like birth certificate, QLD drivers license ,electricity bill and passport

Edited by nike1902

We received our letters of Invitation to Interview and Test on Friday, I was quite surprised how quickly this came through as we only applied in May this year!

Is it normal for my wife and I have interviews on 2 different days, she's on the Thursday and I'm on the Friday? We applied at the same time through her IMMI account and I just assumed that we would go to the interview at the same time.

Citizenship App: 02-May-2020
Test Invitation: 09-Oct-2020
Test Date: 13-Nov-2020
Approval: TBA
Approval Letter Rcvd: TBA
Council: Gold Coast, QLD

• Congratulations 1

1 hour ago, House Biatch said:

We received our letters of Invitation to Interview and Test on Friday, I was quite surprised how quickly this came through as we only applied in May this year!

Is it normal for my wife and I have interviews on 2 different days, she's on the Thursday and I'm on the Friday? We applied at the same time through her IMMI account and I just assumed that we would go to the interview at the same time.

Citizenship App: 02-May-2020
Test Invitation: 09-Oct-2020
Test Date: 13-Nov-2020
Approval: TBA
Approval Letter Rcvd: TBA
Council: Gold Coast, QLD

I'm having the same situation.

I will be conducting the interview on the same day as my wife, but we are going to have two different times.

We both applied at the same time and received the invitation letter on the same date. However, She will start the interview at 8:30 am and, I will start at 9:00 am.