AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

#citizenshiptestscam ?

Hi PIO mates,

My partner got a call yesterday from someone claiming to be from the Dept of Home Affairs South Australia office, who asked to confirm her particulars and told her to “study and prepare” for the citizenship test and that she could be called with 2 days notice to present for the citizenship test. She was given a list of documents to bring and was asked if she’d downloaded the COVIDSafe app. 

Has anyone received a similar phone call? I was a little surprised that it wasn’t via email and that she was advised that they’d give her 2 days notice to appear for the test. 

Could this be a scam? 

Edited by Dreaming_when

Had my test today (5th August) in Perth and passed 🎉😁

The only document they asked to see was my drivers licence, even though I'd taken all my old passports, birth certificate etc.

I applied back in January and was then asked to supply a UK Police Clearance in February (even though they didn't initially request it on the application).

My daughter's application was approved on 15th July (she didn't have to take the test as under 18 at time of application).

They said that it could be up to 4 to 6 months before a ceremony is given but depends on council (mine is City of Belmont).

• Like 1

On 21/07/2020 at 09:32, Ravi2019 said:

Hi Ziri1002,

I'm in same bucket, I got mail asking if I'm intrested for Virtual Ceremony on 14th July, replied yes on same day but still haven't heard anything. I belive atleast it will take a weeks time for them to respond. Infact as per their auto mail reply it may take up to three weeks due to Covid19 rush. 

Cheers!!!

Ravi

Finally the day came to become Aussie wow!!!! 

Last Thursday we done with online ceremony and today got Certificates too, what a great day.

Thank you for all for your valuable comments time to time and good luck for everyone who are in queue.

Cheers!!!

Ravi

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ravi2019 said:

Finally the day came to become Aussie wow!!!! 

Last Thursday we done with online ceremony and today got Certificates too, what a great day.

Thank you for all for your valuable comments time to time and good luck for everyone who are in queue.

Cheers!!!

Ravi

Congratulations @Ravi2019!!!! I had the online ceremony last Friday,  but still yet to receive the certificate 🙂

On 05/08/2020 at 21:13, Dreaming_when said:

#citizenshiptestscam ?

Hi PIO mates,

My partner got a call yesterday from someone claiming to be from the Dept of Home Affairs South Australia office, who asked to confirm her particulars and told her to “study and prepare” for the citizenship test and that she could be called with 2 days notice to present for the citizenship test. She was given a list of documents to bring and was asked if she’d downloaded the COVIDSafe app. 

Has anyone received a similar phone call? I was a little surprised that it wasn’t via email and that she was advised that they’d give her 2 days notice to appear for the test. 

Could this be a scam? 

Hi Dreaming_when

I have no idea if this legitimate, but I would say it seems legitimate. No harm in proceeding. All you've got to study for the test and keep documents ready apart from installing the App. THe only risk is that the app could be a malware. Its best to maybe confirm by calling DOHA.

Please let us know how you went.

• Thanks 1

Hey All.

I had my test scheduled in VIC for April 2020 first, which got postponed to August and then further postponed indefinitely. Now I have a chance to move to WA. Question is whether I should wait for testing to open in VIC or should I move and apply for an address change to enter the queue for test in WA? Will they process my application again from start? How long does the address change take?

Just heads up.
I can't see any improvement on my citizenship status so far, I was requested by the Department of Immigration to submit a further document on the 20th of Feb and I did on the 24th.

I emailed them this morning to see if they received the docs and if it was sufficient to process the documents or if they need an additional one. They have responded quickly which is impressive, but the response didn't give me any hope that they are processing anything and I only have to keep waiting.

They only mentioned the face-to-face citizenship ceremonies and they didn't mention the online option, not sure if this is applicable only for certain counsels or across the country based on the current situation with the pandemic.

Hi Mazen

Thank you for the email all your documents have been received but due to the Coronavirus pandemic, all face-to-face citizenship appointments have been placed on hold. 

The Department will recommence in-person interviews and citizenship tests when it is safe to do so.

New applications for Australian citizenship are still able to be accepted during this period.

Processing continues on all applications for Australian citizenship that have already been lodged with the Department

The Department website at https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/ will be updated with new information as it becomes available.

For further COVID-19 information visit the following website at:

www.australia.gov.au

Edited by Mazen
  • Like 1

On 05/08/2020 at 16:05, Indianinoz said:

Interesting. This is the first case of someone from NT who got a test invite(albeit cancelled) that I know of. Please share your timeline and location. I'm sure test/interview, if postponed, shouldn't take longer. This is great news that people from outside WA have at least been given a test date.

Initially i had test scheduled on 25th March, on 23rd March got an email that has been postponed on 6th August.

On 5th August got another email that citizenship appointment has been postponed- no date.

I've applied for citizenship on 6th November 2019 in Darwin.

I used to it now to this waiting game- 457 then 186 and now citizenship. 

Would be nice if it happens this year.

On 12/08/2020 at 12:38, salman khan said:

is intervention order affect my citizenship application ?  its a civil intervention order (granted with consent but no admissions)?

depends, did you take out the CIO, or against you?. normally only given to a person who is subject to Domestic violence or stalking, I suggest you inform the DOHA, as the interaction with your local force is never a good thing and let them decide. 

Hi folks,

I was under the impression that as of August 11th I would be able to apply for citizenship. However when going through the initial application page I get a message saying "Based on information held on Departmental systems the applicant does not meet the general residence requirements." 

I arrived in March 2015 on a Holiday Visa, got a Bridging Visa for a 457 in November 2015 and was granted the 457 in January of 2016. I was granted Permanent residency on August 12 2019. My belief was that as of August 11 I would have met the criteria of 12 months as a PR and had 4 years in the country.

The only reason I can think of where I do not meet the general residence requirements is that when swapping from a 457 to a partner visa, my 457 was cancelled, and I had to reapply for a bridging visa E to stay in the country in Sept 2017. Looking at this info, is anyone able to give advice as to when I would meet the general residence requirements?

On 16/08/2020 at 07:03, Lovi said:

Hi guys. I am new in this forum. Just want to ask how long it takes for your citizenship test after submitting the file? Thanks in advance 

it depends on many factors, and it is different from case to case and state to another.

below are the details and the average timeframe from the home and affairs

Application type Period counted Timeframe for
75% of applications
Timeframe for
 90% of applications
Australian citizenship by conferral
(general eligibility and other situations)
From date of application to decision 20 months 29 months
From date of approval to ceremony 8 months 8 months
From date of application to ceremony 19 months 25 months
  • Like 1

Looks like they've opened up a few of the offices:

Applying for citizenship

New applications for Australian citizenship are being accepted.

Processing continues on all applications for Australian citizenship that have already been lodged with the Department.

In-person citizenship appointments and tests are resuming across states and territories in accordance with health guidelines.

Eligible individuals will be contacted and invited to attend a citizenship appointment or test. There is no need to contact the Department about your citizenship appointment or test.

In-person citizenship appointments and tests normally conducted by Services Australia in regional locations remain on hold. Details for the resumption of these services will be updated as information becomes available.

Currently, in-person citizenship appointments are available at:

• Department of Home Affairs office, Adelaide SA
  • Department of Home Affairs office, Brisbane QLD
  • Department of Home Affairs office, Parramatta NSW
  • Department of Home Affairs office, Perth WA

1 hour ago, wikileats said:

In-person citizenship appointments and tests normally conducted by Services Australia in regional locations remain on hold. Details for the resumption of these services will be updated as information becomes available.

It is good to see some improvement Finally, however, it is not fair to see the government shifting all immigrants to regional areas but not keeping them into their priorities 😞

25 minutes ago, Mazen said:

It is good to see some improvement Finally, however, it is not fair to see the government shifting all immigrants to regional areas but not keeping them into their priorities 😞

What do you mean "the government shifting all immigrants to regional areas"? Immigrants do not have to live in regional areas unless their visa specifies it. 

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

What do you mean "the government shifting all immigrants to regional areas"? Immigrants do not have to live in regional areas unless their visa specifies it. 

the new immigration strategy from the government is to increase the number of skilled workers in the regional areas and keeping them away from the big cities, hence,  they have created new visa types and canceled others.

Below are examples of the types of current visas that are in place:

2 hours ago, Mazen said:

the new immigration strategy from the government is to increase the number of skilled workers in the regional areas and keeping them away from the big cities, hence,  they have created new visa types and canceled others.

Below are examples of the types of current visas that are in place:

I am aware of the government trying to get more migrants to move to regional areas, but to say "the government shifting all immigrants to regional areas" is just not true. They are only getting migrants to live in regional areas if they are granted the relevant visas. They aren't shifting anyone, and suggesting that they are could cause worry to many people. Many migrants can and will still move to the urban areas. 

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 15:19, Nemesis said:

Canada also is trying to get immigrants to regional areas where most Canadians do not want to live, instead of them heading to the immigration magnet areas like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. In large, vast hinterland countries like Canada and Australia, govt's want to encourage settlement in less populated areas to create a more developed country with more infrastructure and a larger population base spread out equally as much as possible. And In Canada's case, increase the population base up north so that we can solidify our sovereign territorial rights in the arctic against the rest of the world, particularly against the US, Russia and even China nowadays, who don't seem to respect our territorial rights and try to claim the arctic waterways as 'international waters' when they are legally and internationally recongnized Canadian waters. Full stop.

The things countries like ours have to do to protect ourselves from the rest of the world. Sheesh.

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Confused 2

Hi guys,

I have a question - recent a few days ago I tapped on and got on a train. But did not observe the low balance on the tap on card in a hurry to get on the train. It was checked and got 200 fine for. Does this need to be added or notified on citizen ship app ?

Thanks guys

On 17/08/2020 at 14:12, FergalMcG said:

Hi folks,

I was under the impression that as of August 11th I would be able to apply for citizenship. However when going through the initial application page I get a message saying "Based on information held on Departmental systems the applicant does not meet the general residence requirements." 

I arrived in March 2015 on a Holiday Visa, got a Bridging Visa for a 457 in November 2015 and was granted the 457 in January of 2016. I was granted Permanent residency on August 12 2019. My belief was that as of August 11 I would have met the criteria of 12 months as a PR and had 4 years in the country.

The only reason I can think of where I do not meet the general residence requirements is that when swapping from a 457 to a partner visa, my 457 was cancelled, and I had to reapply for a bridging visa E to stay in the country in Sept 2017. Looking at this info, is anyone able to give advice as to when I would meet the general residence requirements?

If you phone the department they can give you the exact date that you will be able to apply. You need to give them your passport number etc. I had to do this as I had so many different trips outside of oz that i couldn't calculate a date.

• Like 1