AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

Hi Guys,

A newbie to the forum. Applied on July 2nd 2020 and looking at other applicants, I can see there is a big wait for tests and interview. Hope to get one by the end of this year.  Pray that the tests start ASAP. I can see some people have put petition in Change.org. Signed it straight away. Hope, something happens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sanam83 said:

Hi Guys,

A newbie to the forum. Applied on July 2nd 2020 and looking at other applicants, I can see there is a big wait for tests and interview. Hope to get one by the end of this year.  Pray that the tests start ASAP. I can see some people have put petition in Change.org. Signed it straight away. Hope, something happens.

Please don't put any more wind into the sails of that petition. It landed up spamming every forum on citizenship. They won't start the tests if it is unsafe to do so, and quite frankly that situation is getting less rather than more certain at the moment. Just be patient, stay safe and be grateful to be in a country with such good healthcare and relatively low numbers at the moment. I'd suggest it is not a priority when we are fighting a battle to save lives, avoid transmission and ensure businesses can survive. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, elderberry said:

Please don't put any more wind into the sails of that petition. It landed up spamming every forum on citizenship. They won't start the tests if it is unsafe to do so, and quite frankly that situation is getting less rather than more certain at the moment. Just be patient, stay safe and be grateful to be in a country with such good healthcare and relatively low numbers at the moment. I'd suggest it is not a priority when we are fighting a battle to save lives, avoid transmission and ensure businesses can survive. 

Hi Elderberry,

The petition is not a spam mate. My partner had shared this petition to me. I went through the petition and it was fantastic. I just admire the person who did that petition. what a fantastic job he has done. Well, telling about him, I even read a lot of articles about him. Looks like even journalists write about him. I agree with his point in one of the articles that Covid is an excuse by the govt to delay the applicants becoming citizens. He has also written his struggle and the things he is missing out because of not being citizen. i felt like in the same boat. Also, I being from Sydney doesn't feel why Govt is not doing tests. I read in an article though that govt has started tests in Perth & Sydney.So, hope to get one soon. 

On 09/12/2019 at 07:23, benj1980 said:

I would like an earlier test date if things come up, purely because I'm impatient. On Home Affairs it simply says 'unavailable' even post my date. How often does this change and what is the likelihood of getting an earlier cancellation?

I see @Feb2017Cook is trying to do the same!

Well I ended up just keeping my test date, Covid hit and although we were waiting for a ceremony we knew the virtual ceremony may be the only option. Then about a month ago we got invited to a ceremony and had this on Thursday. Delighted to get this done, another segment in our life journey achieved I guess! The ceremony was good and there were a few Covid rules put into place but this really didn't dampen people's spirit!

Good luck to all, getting this over the line!

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 2

So I'm taking the plunge and finally applying. Just one little roadblock might cause me some distress.

I have a copy of my birth certificate that I used when I applied for PR, and it was in black and white, and was accepted. However now they are saying that it must be in colour. The issue is that for me to try and get a colour copy will be an absolute nightmare. I'm wondering if anyone has been in this situation and tried to submit a black and white copy and if it was accepted or shot down. Any advice would be appreciated in helping me decide if I should take a shot or not.

6 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

So I'm taking the plunge and finally applying. Just one little roadblock might cause me some distress.

I have a copy of my birth certificate that I used when I applied for PR, and it was in black and white, and was accepted. However now they are saying that it must be in colour.

What colour is the original certificate?   My British one is literally black type on white paper so they'd never know if it was a colour copy or not.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

What colour is the original certificate?   My British one is literally black type on white paper so they'd never know if it was a colour copy or not.

British birth certs are red, marriage are green and death certs are black. 

20 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The new certificate are made of plastic, and have light pastel colours. It is clear in some spaces. I had to get a new one several years ago because my original copy was destroyed. I could try and just submit the black and white one and see what they say whilst trying to get my hands on another copy. Ugh, so painful.

So I've decided to just go ahead and lodge the application, with the black and white birth certificate copy. As a precautionary measure, I've placed an order for a new one to be sent to me which will take a minimum of three months. It's taking a million months to process applications at this point anyways, so it's not a big deal; I can just attached the new copy later on if need be. It is what it is. It will work out one way or another, it will just take longer to achieve.

Edited by Canada2Australia

14 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

So I've decided to just go ahead and lodge the application, with the black and white birth certificate copy. As a precautionary measure, I've placed an order for a new one to be sent to me which will take a minimum of three months. It's taking a million months to process applications at this point anyways, so it's not a big deal; I can just attached the new copy later on if need be. It is what it is. It will work out one way or another, it will just take longer to achieve.

Good call. They ask you to take originals to the test/interview to sight in person so you will need it.  I assume the copy was notorised for your application originally though so you must have had an original one at some point.

8 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Good call. They ask you to take originals to the test/interview to sight in person so you will need it.  I assume the copy was notorised for your application originally though so you must have had an original one at some point.

Yeah, the original certificate is with my mother back home. I want to leave a copy in Canada, and now I can have one out here with me as well. In hindsight, I should have ordered another copy long ago, but you don't always think of these kinds of things until your hand is forced.

Edited by Canada2Australia

Hey Guys,

Just an update.  

I got a text message from IMMI yesterday stating that my Citizenship interview (that was cancelled back in March due to COVID), was now being scheduled for 24th August.  So they are starting them up again here in Perth.

I got straight on the website to re-schedule and luckily enough there was only one other appointment available for the next few months, and it was for today!

So i managed to book that in and happy to say the interview and test was all very straight forward.  Now just hoping and waiting to get approval and a ceremony date.

My timeline: 

Arrived: 01/03/2012

PR: June 2015

Citizenship Application: 02/12/2019

Interview & test: Scheduled for 15-03/2019 (cancelled).  Passed 31/07/2020.

Approval: TBC

Ceremony: TBC

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 5

I was wondering if anyone could help answer a question, I am looking to apply for a 309 Partner (temporary) visa in the near future from outside of Australia, I was wondering how long do I have from the date of the visa being accepted to actually enter Australia as I will want to find a job etc before moving out there if possible.  I was wondering if there was a time limit to enter Australia otherwise I might loose the visa?

11 minutes ago, T FItton said:

I was wondering if anyone could help answer a question, I am looking to apply for a 309 Partner (temporary) visa in the near future from outside of Australia, I was wondering how long do I have from the date of the visa being accepted to actually enter Australia as I will want to find a job etc before moving out there if possible.  I was wondering if there was a time limit to enter Australia otherwise I might loose the visa?

You’ve posted in the wrong thread and will likely get better responses if you start your own thread - this one is about citizenship and you’re a long way from that!

In essence though - your visa will take in excess of a year to be issued. Once it is issued you have 12 months in which to activate it (pop over for a visit) and once that is done you’ll have 5 years from date of issue to make the move. Your chances of finding a job before you actually arrive are incredibly slim and if that is a criterion for your moving you’ll probably never move. You lose the visa after 5 years. 

• Like 1

Citizenship Tests and Interviews

On 31/07/2020 at 14:57, MarkyMarc said:

Hey Guys,

Just an update.  

I got a text message from IMMI yesterday stating that my Citizenship interview (that was cancelled back in March due to COVID), was now being scheduled for 24th August.  So they are starting them up again here in Perth.

I got straight on the website to re-schedule and luckily enough there was only one other appointment available for the next few months, and it was for today!

So i managed to book that in and happy to say the interview and test was all very straight forward.  Now just hoping and waiting to get approval and a ceremony date.

My timeline: 

Arrived: 01/03/2012

PR: June 2015

Citizenship Application: 02/12/2019

Interview & test: Scheduled for 15-03/2019 (cancelled).  Passed 31/07/2020.

Approval: TBC

Ceremony: TBC

Looks like WA are restarting their interviews and testing. It obviously will not happening yet in Vic. Any news about testing in other states that have the COVID issue “under control”? 

3 hours ago, Dreaming_when said:

Citizenship Tests and Interviews

Looks like WA are restarting their interviews and testing. It obviously will not happening yet in Vic. Any news about testing in other states that have the COVID issue “under control”? 

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship

It started in WA on 6th July 2020. Rest all other states are waiting. I believe within 2 weeks, some states/territories should be joining WA. Definitely not Victoria though.

On 01/08/2020 at 14:45, helppls said:

Does everyone have to do an interview and test or just a test and an interview for some?

Everyone goes through the same interview.  If there are no obvious red flags on the database, you can sit the test straight away.  

It should be pretty straight forward for most people. However, some things like spent criminal records etc, minor offences and previous military work can attract more scrutiny to your application.  

On 26/07/2020 at 12:09, elderberry said:

I wouldn’t sign a change.org petition but is it unsafe to do the tests and interviews? With the exception of Melbourne/Vic pretty much everyone is at work. I’ve never stopped, kids are in schools, crowds are at the footy, I can go to the pub etc etc

Yet it’s unsafe to go and have an interview which would be socially distanced anyway I imagine? 

On 03/08/2020 at 10:11, Indianinoz said:

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship

It started in WA on 6th July 2020. Rest all other states are waiting. I believe within 2 weeks, some states/territories should be joining WA. Definitely not Victoria though.

I got an email today that my test/interview has been postponed again, so not that lucky here in NT as WA.

1 minute ago, dodziu said:

I got an email today that my test/interview has been postponed again, so not that lucky here in NT as WA.

Interesting. This is the first case of someone from NT who got a test invite(albeit cancelled) that I know of. Please share your timeline and location. I'm sure test/interview, if postponed, shouldn't take longer. This is great news that people from outside WA have at least been given a test date.