AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

36 minutes ago, Delta said:
about 10 hours ago · #361

Applied citizenship- 12/June/2019 Test invitation-16/February/2020 Test date & interview-18/March/2020

my wife application approved 18/march/2020 same day. But mine with my kid status still received.
I will see how long it takes to mine.
Please drop your views about it

9 hours ago, MarkyMarc said:

Would think it was unlikely, given that a large number of people have been approved the same afternoon. Some are even approved within an hour after they leaving the test centre.  I doubt even the quickest checks can be done by then.  Could be wrong though.

Perhaps the length of time between applying and being invited to the the test plays a role too. I see that some of you who are still waiting for approvals appear to have had pretty short processing times, ie applying in Dec 2019 and getting test invites in Jan 2020. Perhaps all the checks haven’t come through yet (considering not much gets done in the 6weeks around Christmas and Australia Day). I received my approval almost immediately(checked outside the test centre and it showed “approved”). As I was about to leave, the officer mentioned that all my checks were complete and that I’d receive a letter in the mail informing me of the approval within 2 weeks. Bear in mind that I’d applied for my citizenship almost a year ago. 

Edited by Dreaming_when

6 hours ago, Dreaming_when said:

Perhaps the length of time between applying and being invited to the the test plays a role too. I see that some of you who are still waiting for approvals appear to have had pretty short processing times, ie applying in Dec 2019 and getting test invites in Jan 2020. Perhaps all the checks haven’t come through yet (considering not much gets done in the 6weeks around Christmas and Australia Day). I received my approval almost immediately(checked outside the test centre and it showed “approved”). As I was about to leave, the officer mentioned that all my checks were complete and that I’d receive a letter in the mail informing me of the approval within 2 weeks. Bear in mind that I’d applied for my citizenship almost a year ago. 

I have applied in May 2019, Done the test 28 February 2020 and still no approval. It depends on each person .. 

7 hours ago, Dreaming_when said:

Do they checks before the test or after the test???

From what has been stated on this forum, with people getting approvals almost instantly, then i would say all checks are meant to be done before your interview.  It makes sense that the case officer would have all the information in front of him before proceeding.  For some people, this doesn't seem to be the case and they are left waiting for extraordinary lengths of time. 

38 minutes ago, MarkyMarc said:

From what has been stated on this forum, with people getting approvals almost instantly, then i would say all checks are meant to be done before your interview.  It makes sense that the case officer would have all the information in front of him before proceeding.  For some people, this doesn't seem to be the case and they are left waiting for extraordinary lengths of time. 

Could depend on the case officer at the interview, but mine said they trigger the checks when you physically attend for interview and test.

From my perspective, two factors that would logically effect wait time for approval:

1. Time it takes for the checks to return a result (could be many variables here including your country of original, immigration history etc)

2. Backlog on the desk of the particular case officer who calls your number at your appointment, and also their efficiency. This is complete luck of the draw as to who you sit down to at your appointment, and is not pre-assigned. They have to eyeball the results when they come back before manually approving you on their system, so if one particular CO is behind in their workload it could take time for them to get to you.

Many logical variables, to a perhaps antiquated process!

• Thanks 1

Just got txt message and confirmation email that my test on 26th March was moved to 6th August. There is no available calendar on immi rescheduling page,  with dates earlier than 1st August 2020. 😩 Was so close but not close enough.

Location-Darwin

Looks like NT Gov will lock down whole territory soon. 

Edited by dodziu

7 hours ago, millski88 said:

Could depend on the case officer at the interview, but mine said they trigger the checks when you physically attend for interview and test.

From my perspective, two factors that would logically effect wait time for approval:

1. Time it takes for the checks to return a result (could be many variables here including your country of original, immigration history etc)

2. Backlog on the desk of the particular case officer who calls your number at your appointment, and also their efficiency. This is complete luck of the draw as to who you sit down to at your appointment, and is not pre-assigned. They have to eyeball the results when they come back before manually approving you on their system, so if one particular CO is behind in their workload it could take time for them to get to you.

Many logical variables, to a perhaps antiquated process!

It just so fustrating...

• Like 1

After being in Australia for 4 years on a PR 100 partner visa I submitted my citizenship application on 6/4/2019 for Sydney, I am over 60 so exempt from test (though even without really studying I got passes everytime I tried one of the on-line example tests), UK born and bred with University education so English language ability not an issue.

Still showing as received in March so I sent in FOI request having seen that later applications were getting tests and approvals. The response arrived last week and showed that the last action was in June last year when it was confirmed that I was exempt from Integrity Screening, which I assume means exempt from interview and test.

I have just checked my Immi account and lo and behold my application is not approved, so perhaps the FOI request did alert them to the fact that nothing had happened to a simple application for 10 months, meaning they got on with it.

Now to wait for a ceremony, or any alternative that is introduced in the current situation, almost there.

8 minutes ago, datstheone said:

After being in Australia for 4 years on a PR 100 partner visa I submitted my citizenship application on 6/4/2019 for Sydney,...

Now to wait for a ceremony, or any alternative that is introduced in the current situation, almost there.

It's very unlikely they will offer any alternative, since they're cutting all "non-essential'  services, and citizenship isn't really essential.  The reason people need citizenship is so they can travel freely, and no one can travel at the moment anyway.   Also, permanent residents always have the option of renewing their RRV.

I know it's frustrating for people who want to get their citizenship so they can go back to their home country permanently while keeping their options open - but Immigration takes a dim view of that type of thing anyway. 

Edited by Marisawright

For me it doesn't make any real difference, and I have just renewed my RRV for 5 years anyway. But as I understand it not being a citizen has implications for some jobs and things like University fees, so if social distancing goes on for a year people impacted by this would be disadvantaged.

Only difference for me is that my UK passport expires in November and I am not sure whether my visa depends on maintaining a valid passport regardless of whether or not I want to travel, if post gets disrupted and things in UK go bad then not too keen on posting off my passport for an overseas renewal, so becoming an Australian citizen and getting Australian passport covers me for that.

Sadly, I do expect that you are right and nothing will happen until ceremonies can restart and then I will just have to wait my turn.

• Like 1

It's just a reality of life. I would think that citizenship is the least of many peoples worries these days and that there are more pressing issues to be dealt with. 

If we have to wait an extra year or two for citizenship, then so be it. There is nothing we can do about it. We won't be any worse off because of it. 

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Like 2

Hi can I ask a question?

I was first in Australia on visitor's visa Apr,2016.

Then I granted Temporary residence visa in the 29th, May,2016. 

Then I my PR was granted  on 1st, May,2019. 

I was always in AU since apr, 2016.

Can I apply citizenship on 1st,  May, 2020? Or 29th, May ?

Appreciated for help.

Regards

28 minutes ago, Jennyc said:

Hi can I ask a question?

Appreciated for help.

Regards

You are eligible on 2nd May onwards 

Actually, I am the one directly affected! I am doing a postgrad law degree at UWA, and I was paying my tuition fees in advance in previous semesters (grateful for paying domestic rates!). 

Cut-off date for Semester 1 is March 31, and in current climate with all the uncertainty, understandably, I am very reluctant to spend X thousand $ on tuition fees, so I decided to take an academic leave until I get my citizenship and get access to HECS. 

I was so close, though! I am one of the applicants who lodged an application in Dec, got an invite in early Jan. I rescheduled my interview from early April to late Jan, so none of my checks had come through by the time of my interview.  At least, I had an interview and sat my test! 

All the best to everyone guys, all we can do in this brave new world that unfolding before us is look after ourselves and our loved ones, and look out for each other, and be grateful for what we have every day! 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Georgiegie said:

All the best to everyone guys, all we can do in this brave new world that unfolding before us is look after ourselves and our loved ones, and look out for each other, and be grateful for what we have every day! 

Well said @Georgiegie ! Take care everyone...we are in unprecedented times. Stay safe... 

On 22/03/2020 at 14:29, Jennyc said:

Hi can I ask a question?

Appreciated for help.

Regards

I believe you can apply on the 1st of May (since this is the anniversary of your PR). But of course, check the calculator. 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2020 at 14:29, Jennyc said:

Hi can I ask a question?

Appreciated for help.

Regards

Yes ..you can

On 20/03/2020 at 16:49, Mamir said:

did anyone have any luck rescheduling their test dates in the current month? Any possibility of interview/tests being postponed indefinitely?

I tried to reschedule May interview but it's currently not working. 

"All citizenship test appointments have been suspended for the time being. You will be advised in due course as soon as interviews and testing resumes. Please see information below:

Rescheduled Citizenship Appointments

The Australian government is taking steps to mitigate potential health risks due to the recent spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).

To respond effectively to this evolving situation, citizenship appointments have been rescheduled.

We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

For further COVID-19 information visit the Department of Health website:

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert"

13 hours ago, Andrecmartins said:

I tried to reschedule May interview but it's currently not working. 

"All citizenship test appointments have been suspended for the time being. You will be advised in due course as soon as interviews and testing resumes. Please see information below:

Rescheduled Citizenship Appointments

The Australian government is taking steps to mitigate potential health risks due to the recent spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).

To respond effectively to this evolving situation, citizenship appointments have been rescheduled.

We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

For further COVID-19 information visit the Department of Health website:

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert"

I have not received any email/notification regarding cancellation or change in date for my appointment. Have you received any?

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me what i need:

my second child born before we become citizen of Australia. So second child doesn’t have any citizenship certificate because we couldn’t include him at the time of our citizenship application due to newly born baby.

Now after becoming citizen we are applying for passport of this second child with us. Is second child automatically citizen or i have to apply for the evidence of citizenship?

Fact to consider:

Citizenship application 26/09/2019

baby born 28/12/2019

Citizenship 04/03/2020.