AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

I moved here at age 17 as a dependant of a skilled worker on the skilled work PR visa and became eligible to apply for citizenship in April last year. I am about to send off my online application but have noticed lengthy application processing times so just have a few questions. 
I have been told that since my visa is 5 years it has to be “renewed” every 5 years if I leave the country unless I become a citizen. I was hoping to go on holiday in July, if my citizenship is not complete by then (and it doesn’t look like it will be) but it is under application, will I still have to pay the renewal fee/re entry fee for my PR visa? Probably a silly question! Also has anyone had the entire process complete in 3-4 months after lodging? 
thanks! 

2 minutes ago, chantelle said:

I moved here at age 17 as a dependant of a skilled worker on the skilled work PR visa and became eligible to apply for citizenship in April last year. I am about to send off my online application but have noticed lengthy application processing times so just have a few questions. 
I have been told that since my visa is 5 years it has to be “renewed” every 5 years if I leave the country unless I become a citizen. I was hoping to go on holiday in July, if my citizenship is not complete by then (and it doesn’t look like it will be) but it is under application, will I still have to pay the renewal fee/re entry fee for my PR visa? Probably a silly question! Also has anyone had the entire process complete in 3-4 months after lodging? 
thanks! 

You need a residence return visa if your current visa expires before you return to australia. it is not a big deal though.

Hey everyone! I posted this a few weeks ago but didn't get any responses so thought I'd have one last try in case it was missed by someone who might have some advice 😀

I'm due to lodge my citizenship application in mid-May. There's an internal job opportunity coming up in work, which would require a move to our US office for at least a year. I wouldn't move until the application was lodged, and would fly back easily for the interview/test, plus a ceremony down the track. 

I know that it's asked that you list your overseas dates when you apply, but my understanding is that this is to facilitate the appointments, rather than needing to be in the country - or am I incorrect in the advice given so far? Works immigration lawyer tends to say whatever suits work! It's a dream job, but at the same time, I don't want to do anything to risk the application.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, chantelle said:

thanks! 

Processing has speeded up quite a bit.  When  you get the test date go on line and try to move it to an earlier date, they come up as people cancel etc.  If you satisfy the 2 out of the last 5 years in Aus for the RRV they are quick to grant so I would hold off until you know for sure. If you do get citizenship before travel (attend the ceremony) then you must obtain an Australian passport.  Bit annoying if you have to waste 500 odd dollars for a few weeks worth of RRV!

11 minutes ago, RoEire said:

Hey everyone! I posted this a few weeks ago but didn't get any responses so thought I'd have one last try in case it was missed by someone who might have some advice 😀

I'm due to lodge my citizenship application in mid-May. There's an internal job opportunity coming up in work, which would require a move to our US office for at least a year. I wouldn't move until the application was lodged, and would fly back easily for the interview/test, plus a ceremony down the track. 

I know that it's asked that you list your overseas dates when you apply, but my understanding is that this is to facilitate the appointments, rather than needing to be in the country - or am I incorrect in the advice given so far? Works immigration lawyer tends to say whatever suits work! It's a dream job, but at the same time, I don't want to do anything to risk the application.

Thanks!

You need to be in the country for the test and the approval, now that is tricky as approval can be instant of take weeks or even months! You must then attend a ceremony within 1 year of approval.  Problem is that they know you are out of the country and may not send a test date until you return.  You must also ensure you have an RRV in place if you need one.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wannabepilot said:

Cool, keep me posted of any news 🙂 I'll do the same

Brisbane already hit Jan 2020. Just found that two of the people, who applied in mid of Jan '20 already got the invite for the test/interview. Keeping fingers crossed 🤞

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IndianzinOZ said:

Hi Guys

I am a silent reader of this group.

Just thought of updating my status

Citizenship App: 18-Dec-2019
Test Invitation: 24-Jan-2020
Test Date: 11-Feb- 2020 (was actually 31-March but rescheduled)
Approval: 14-Feb-2020
Ceremony: 30-Mar-2020
Council: Casey,VIC

Congratulations.

But it's really wiered as my application approved in early November 2019 in same council and haven't received ceremony invitation yet. Not sure what should I do.

On 08/11/2019 at 13:10, Lasanga Herath said:

*****FURTHER UPDATE******

City/Council area - CITY OF CASEY
Online / Paper - ONLINE
Date of Application - 16-AUG-2019
Date of email - 21-OCT-2019

Original Test date - 03-Mar-2020

Reschedule test date - 08-Nov-2019

Test Pass - 8-Nov-2019

Approval - 8-Nov-2019

I just pass the test with full score and literally 5 minutes after the test, got approved.  They also told me that the ceremony will be probably within 3 months. Seems we are looking for Australian Day 2020.

Hi, did you apply for your citizenship yourself or through an agent? 

My Council is not as common as the metro cities. Is there a way to find out approx wait times for tests in my council(Mackay Regional council)? I remember someone posting a link for all councils showing the estimated wait times. I do not remember if it was test/interview or ceremony to total wait.

I had the test on 25th Feb. Didn’t receive any approval letter just on 26th the status on immiaccount was changed. 
How long it takes to receive ceremony invitation? The waiting toile based on the council’s website is 6 months. Does it really take 6 month? 
Citizenship Application: June 2019

Invitation: 18 Feb 2020

Test Date: rescheduled to 25 Feb

Approval: 27 Feb

Ceremony: TBA

On 27/02/2020 at 18:00, IndianzinOZ said:

Hi Guys

I am a silent reader of this group.

Just thought of updating my status

Citizenship App: 18-Dec-2019
Test Invitation: 24-Jan-2020
Test Date: 11-Feb- 2020 (was actually 31-March but rescheduled)
Approval: 14-Feb-2020
Ceremony: 30-Mar-2020
Council: Casey,VIC

hey. Are your dates correct??? You received invite within a month’s time? I am asking as I applied on 7th dec 2019 from Monash, ViC. Still waiting for my test invite

17 hours ago, Mamir said:

hey. Are your dates correct??? You received invite within a month’s time? I am asking as I applied on 7th dec 2019 from Monash, ViC. Still waiting for my test invite

Yes mate. The invitations look random or based on how good your paperwork is. I know a bloke who applied in January 2020 and got his invitation for test in February. He instead rescheduled it earlier and got his approval.

You just have to get an invitation mate. Then it is faster. Some people I know have waited for 10 months to get the same invitation. It is pure luck. You can't do much.

Guys,

I will suggest to all group members to not pick their brains on the processing times. Just apply and put all docs upfront and wait.

I myself is on the verge of doing my ceremony in 3 and a half months from application.

My brother who advised me how to do the application took 19 months to get his ceremony. I know a mate of mine who got in like 11 months.

So, it is all random. Just pure luck. I don't know how it happens but that is how it is. All these processing times are just for reference and is like the maximum time range.

It is just like I know a mate of mine who got his partner visa 309 done in 4 months when mine took 11 months. We did the applications together and our content was a carbon copy of each other. You know just the names, photos were original. But all the stories content were almost the same.

I will say that lately I can see the department is getting faster but you can never judge from others timeline.

Edited by IndianzinOZ

On 27/02/2020 at 09:42, Kris9 said:

Just saw in the other forum that a guy who applied in Jan 2020 (mid Jan) got the invitation for test. He's from QLD (Logan). Guess things are speeding up.

That’s good news. I hope so.
We applied mid December and still no invite yet.

Were on The Sunshine Coast 

Hi guys,

I received the interview/test invitation last week and I have rescheduled my test for next week. But I have misplaced my original  Form 1195 and police clearance  that was submitted with the application. They mentioned in the email that they will check all the documents that were submitted. Just wondering if I can just get the form 1195 signed again?

Thanks in advance. 

Citizenship App: 14-Oct-2019
Test Invitation: 29-Feb-2020
Test Date: 05-Mar- 2020 (was 20-May but rescheduled)