AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

10 minutes ago, Sigemup said:

How do we know which is a DOHA and which is DHS ? 

Thank you

The Home affairs website has a list of their test centre locations and whether they are a DOHA office or DHS (centrelink office). You can see the list here https://archive.homeaffairs.gov.au/Citizenship/Pages/locator/Citizenship-Test-Locator.aspx

You can also see the list here if easier : http://www.aussiecitizenshiptest.com/australian-citizenship-test-centres.php 

Note that in this second link DIBP stands for Department of Immigration and Border Protection and is the same as DOHA

If I remember right, the application asked you to choose the test centre that is closest or most convenient for you to attend.

Edited by Ausa0000
more info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/01/2020 at 15:26, Ausa0000 said:

The Home affairs website has a list of their test centre locations and whether they are a DOHA office or DHS (centrelink office). You can see the list here https://archive.homeaffairs.gov.au/Citizenship/Pages/locator/Citizenship-Test-Locator.aspx

You can also see the list here if easier : http://www.aussiecitizenshiptest.com/australian-citizenship-test-centres.php 

Note that in this second link DIBP stands for Department of Immigration and Border Protection and is the same as DOHA

If I remember right, the application asked you to choose the test centre that is closest or most convenient for you to attend.

Thanks Aus0000. I'm from Mackay which is DHS.

Everyone - Just wondering, what is the best way to check the immi account to ensure that I don't miss the invitation for the test? I'm keeping a track of my post, phone, email and I login into the immi account once in every 2-3 days to check for any messages and any additional tabs. But if I miss anything, what is sure shot way of finding if I've been invited?

1 hour ago, Indianinoz said:

Thanks Aus0000. I'm from Mackay which is DHS.

Everyone - Just wondering, what is the best way to check the immi account to ensure that I don't miss the invitation for the test? I'm keeping a track of my post, phone, email and I login into the immi account once in every 2-3 days to check for any messages and any additional tabs. But if I miss anything, what is sure shot way of finding if I've been invited?

I rang DOHA helpline about this issue and they said the best advice regarding the test invitation is to check your email. The representative said not all applicants will receive a message in their immi account nor will they receive a text message or other correspondence. They said it all depends on the individual case officer, but seemed to imply that all applicants should receive an email regarding their test appointment. As I took my test at a DHS office and did not receive any other correspondence other than email, I would say simply focus on waiting for an email.

3 minutes ago, Ausa0000 said:

I rang DOHA helpline about this issue and they said the best advice regarding the test invitation is to check your email. The representative said not all applicants will receive a message in their immi account nor will they receive a text message or other correspondence. They said it all depends on the individual case officer, but seemed to imply that all applicants should receive an email regarding their test appointment. As I took my test at a DHS office and did not receive any other correspondence other than email, I would say simply focus on waiting for an email.

Thanks. You received the email with the subject 'correspondence email for test appointment', correct? Or was the subject line different? And the email address was ending with 'homeaffairs.gov.au', correct?

1 minute ago, Indianinoz said:

Thanks. You received the email with the subject 'correspondence email for test appointment', correct? Or was the subject line different? And the email address was ending with 'homeaffairs.gov.au', correct?

Subject line read : Citizenship Correspondence Email for a Test Appointment but email address ended in @border.gov.au.

As a last resort, you can also ring the DOHA helpline to ask if you have been sent a test invite, although calling them  isn't always easy to get through in a timely manner. Best advice is to call late in the week early in the day. I have heard others saying the representative was able to tell them whether an invite had been sent out. As the invites are sent out usually well in advance, you could probably give them a call once a month if you're very concerned about the possibility of missing an email.

• Thanks 1

Good evening

Details of my application are as follows

Citizenship Application: 13/08/2019

Invitation: TBA

Test Date: TBA

Approval: TBA

Ceremony: TBA

Ararat Rural City, Victoria

I chose Ballarat (DHS office) as the place to sit down the test

It's been 5 months since I applied and I've heard nothing. I called the immigration phone number today and they said you could receive the invitation for the test anytime between 0 and 21 months..not much information though..

I will keep you posted when I receive my test appointment letter...cheers

On 15/01/2020 at 08:10, Hex said:

@gwheng This was in regards to the signature on your Pomsinoz profile (see mine below). Has nothing to do with actual documents etc. 

- You're safe to ignore, or simply follow the steps to update your signature (which helps others in the forums, especially when you ask a question). 

thanks for clarifying, i start panicking if I've missed signing any documents that related with my citizenship application. 

On 16/01/2020 at 19:53, stevie129 said:

Thanks Indianinoz

Yes I received an email notification in my immi account but I also received an email (for my test invite) It was this email that made me check my immi account.

I received a couple of texts messages a few days before my test to remind me that it was close. Received another text yesterday (day before test) as a final reminder.

Hey mate, just wondering if you got your approval yet? 

I had my interview and test earlier this morning, and the officer who was interviewing me said that because I only applied in December and I’m very fresh in the system, it might take another few months until all background checks are complete.

Cheers

4 hours ago, Georgiegie said:

I had my interview and test earlier this morning, and the officer who was interviewing me said that because I only applied in December and I’m very fresh in the system, it might take another few months until all background checks are complete.

Cheers

Background check after the test? That’s strange. Did you pass? May I ask what your application status is currently? 

I specially asked if they needed like birth certificate and police clearance certificate for any background verification and the officer i dealt with said not required.

1 hour ago, Dr-StrangeLove said:

Background check after the test? That’s strange. Did you pass? May I ask what your application status is currently? 

I specially asked if they needed like birth certificate and police clearance certificate for any background verification and the officer i dealt with said not required.

I passed 100%.

I thought I might just share my situation and how things went for me.

I got my interview and test ~30 working days after I submitted my application, I hope it won’t take too long to get my application approved!

Good luck to everyone waiting!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dr-StrangeLove said:

Usually most background checks are processed and completed before applicants take the test, but when an applicant reschedules their test date to a much earlier date these checks are often not even started yet by the time the applicant takes their test. This explains why they wouldn't yet be able to approve this type of application. The department cannot plan for an applicant who reschedules their test earlier.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ausa0000 said:

Usually most background checks are processed and completed before applicants take the test, but when an applicant reschedules their test date to a much earlier date these checks are often not even started yet by the time the applicant takes their test. This explains why they wouldn't yet be able to approve this type of application. The department cannot plan for an applicant who reschedules their test earlier.

Spot on. I received my invite on 20.01 and rescheduled my test to the following day.

The reason why I'm sharing my experience in this thread is to let others know that such things might happen sometimes, and there is no need to panic if your application is not approved minutes after you completed your test.

Good luck to everyone! I hope long queues will become a thing of the past in 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 1

8 hours ago, Ausa0000 said:

6 hours ago, Georgiegie said:

Spot on. I received my invite on 20.01 and rescheduled my test to the following day.

The reason why I'm sharing my experience in this thread is to let others know that such things might happen sometimes, and there is no need to panic if your application is not approved minutes after you completed your test.

Good luck to everyone! I hope long queues will become a thing of the past in 2020.

Makes sense. Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Dr-StrangeLove said:

Timeframe for 75% of applications to move from approval to ceremony has just been bumped to 5 months https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/citizenship-processing-times

Probably because of the backlog of approvals coming through at last. My mate works for a council and has been doing back to back ceremonies for a while, they are also taking people from smaller areas with fewer ceremonies on the request of citizenship office.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Georgiegie said:

Cheers

Congratulations on your invitation. You're probably the first to be invited from the December batch, understandably so considering you applied on 1st Dec. Hope you get approved soon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Netbg said:

I applied in April 2018, can anyone remember how I complain/enquire? I have seen someone talking about it on here a while  ago 

yes you complain to the MP Rt Hon David Coleman at Canberra. there are staff there who can access you're file.   the number is (02) 6277  7770 

Edited by Chris N Lora
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chris N Lora said:

yes you complain to the MP Rt Hon David Coleman at Canberra. there are staff there who can access you're file.   the number is (02) 6277  7770 

Usually what is the time frame within which if you don't receive an invitation for test/interview do you complain? Is it 21 months since application?

14 hours ago, Netbg said:

I applied in April 2018, can anyone remember how I complain/enquire? I have seen someone talking about it on here a while  ago 

Have you not been approved yet? Or you've been approved and waiting for ceremony? I believe you already passed the test/interview in June 2019???

On 02/12/2019 at 15:31, lanky said:

My husband applied for Citizenship in May 2019 on line attaching all the documents required. In November he received an email asking for further information as the surname on his birth certificate was listed as his fathers middle name, we had not even noticed that our selves. He got asked to provide proof from an early age of the surname he has always used. We had already sent all the passports both up to date & expired & a copy of his RRV. all in the name he has always used He even went & made a statutory declaration signed by a JP & forwarded a copy of a page from his mothers expired British passport in 1965 stating the full name of herself & my husbands father. We are still to to hear back if the documents provided are sufficient to proof his ID. has anyone else had this problem or similar, if so how long does it take to get a response after forwarding the information. I might add we have been permanent residents since 1988. 

I applied for citizenship on 14/01/2020.

My surname is not written in my birth certificate while all other identity documents have my full name including surname, I also have no idea what they going to do with my application. Have you got any reply from DHA?

15 hours ago, Netbg said:

You can submit an FOI request regarding your citizenship application, asking for files, case notes, and screen shots that relate to your Citizenship Application. They won't however be able to offer you any advice or an explanation as to why your application has not yet been approved. This will only shed some light on what has been done on your application thus far.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/foi/Pages/how-to-make-a-request.aspx

Edited by Ausa0000

5 hours ago, Indianinoz said:

Congratulations on your invitation. You're probably the first to be invited from the December batch, understandably so considering you applied on 1st Dec. Hope you get approved soon.

Hopefully you're going next, our application dates are just 12 days apart

• Thanks 1