AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

22 hours ago, Mazen said:

it's usually a few weeks, I don't have to inform the immi department.

When you are granted a permanent visa, you are usually permitted a 5-year travel facility. This means you can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like in the 5 years from the date your permanent visa was granted, as long as your visa remains valid.

I usually check the VEVO website every time I go to double-check the PR validity

form my understanding, if I traveled for more than 90 days, I'll have to issue a police clearance from the country I visited.

Thanks, I still think that after citizenship application, every foreign trip needs to be reported in advance to the Citizenship/Immigration department. This is not a requirement for visa but for citizenship. Others on this group might enlighten me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parkesy said:

@millski88 how was your test? Seen you passed! Congratulations! Heard about the ceremony yet? Ive got my test tomorrow morning finally!

Congratulations on the invitation for the test. It seems you waited just over 6 months for the invitation. Which region/council are you from?

For all: Everyone posting on this thread is humbly requested to have the application timeline and council name in signature.  This helps us all. 🙂

9 minutes ago, Indianinoz said:

Thanks, I still think that after citizenship application, every foreign trip needs to be reported in advance to the Citizenship/Immigration department. This is not a requirement for visa but for citizenship. Others on this group might enlighten me if I'm wrong.

If that’s the case, I’ll let immigration know as I fly out to Czech Republic for work end of next week for a week.

I will let them know when I’m in for my test

I have my test next Thursday 

Edited by stevie129
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Parkesy said:

@millski88 how was your test? Seen you passed! Congratulations! Heard about the ceremony yet? Ive got my test tomorrow morning finally!

Hey mate!!! Yeah good, me and the mrs both got 100% - I was out of the test centre before my appointment time it was that quick haha.

Just keeping track of progress of the waiting list with my local council. We haven't got on Australia day ceremony or the one after that (mid Feb), but i've been told they may have a second February ceremony, so fingers crossed we'll get on that.

Good luck tomorrow, you'll smash it!

What council area are you in @Parkesy

Hey guys

I've noticed and understand that there is some time between when you get "Approved" citizenship and when you actually get to attend the ceremony.

My question is this:

- Are you officially a citizen once it's approved (meaning you can apply for passport etc.) or do you need to wait for the ceremony to receive the paper? 

Thanks in advance. 

Hi Everyone,

I received my approval letter by mail yesterday (January 8) while my application was approved on December 20 in my immi account.

So basically exactly 10 business days (removing the public holidays).

In terms of ceremony, I expect being invited for March (if I am lucky), April or May (if I am unlucky). April is probably most likely.

I made this assumption by looking at another forum online which keeps track, by council, of applications of the forum participants.

I saw that the average waiting time for my council was around 4 months.

2020 Ceremony dates for Port Phillip (VIC) council are :
26 January (Australia Day), 12 March, 23 April, 7 May, 23 July, 17 September (Citizenship Day), 19 November

I thought this info might be helpful :)

• Congratulations 1

2 hours ago, millski88 said:

Hey mate!!! Yeah good, me and the mrs both got 100% - I was out of the test centre before my appointment time it was that quick haha.

Just keeping track of progress of the waiting list with my local council. We haven't got on Australia day ceremony or the one after that (mid Feb), but i've been told they may have a second February ceremony, so fingers crossed we'll get on that.

Good luck tomorrow, you'll smash it!

What council area are you in @Parkesy

Amazing, thats exactly what I want to hear haha! Well done! Im Darebin council so I should probably take a look. Are you brunswick area I cant rememeber?

Hi friends 
i am thinking to ring department to ask how long i have to wait for ceremony?
what you guys think ?
Will they be able to tell me how long my ceremony could be.?

They would be able to say what the next date is but may not be able to tell you if you are on the list for it.

17 hours ago, Parkesy said:

Amazing, thats exactly what I want to hear haha! Well done! Im Darebin council so I should probably take a look. Are you brunswick area I cant rememeber?

Nice, so your test is at the city office? Let us know how you go today.

We're in Moreland council area yeah, quite a bit of a queue for ceremonies in Moreland. Luckily i got this awesome person who does the event management at Moreland council call me after i put in a website enquiry, she'd been super helpful and told me i could call whenever i needed to check her lists. I can't say it'd be the same for every council though, it's often tricky to get any info in advance of your invite, from what i've heard.

18 hours ago, Hex said:

Hey guys

I've noticed and understand that there is some time between when you get "Approved" citizenship and when you actually get to attend the ceremony.

My question is this:

- Are you officially a citizen once it's approved (meaning you can apply for passport etc.) or do you need to wait for the ceremony to receive the paper? 

Thanks in advance. 

Only after your ceremony are you officially a citizen, and yeah unfortunately only after you have the certificate from the ceremony can you apply for a passport. Depending on which council area you're in it can be 3-6 months after approval until you get a ceremony.

Edited by millski88

45 minutes ago, millski88 said:

Nice, so your test is at the city office? Let us know how you go today.

We're in Moreland council area yeah, quite a bit of a queue for ceremonies in Moreland. Luckily i got this awesome person who does the event management at Moreland council call me after i put in a website enquiry, she'd been super helpful and told me i could call whenever i needed to check her lists. I can't say it'd be the same for every council though, it's often tricky to get any info in advance of your invite, from what i've heard.

Yeah it will be city. Friend of mine who lives two doors down did his in the city and had to wait about two months which isnt too bad at all.

Did my test this morning. Got there at 8.45am for my 9am but I was taken straight through. 10 minutes chat with the interviewer and updated a few documents (new birth certificate).

Took test and was out in 4 minutes. 100% and out on the street at 9am! Couldn't believe how fast it was.

Cant wait for that ceremony now. In a great mood!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 1

5 minutes ago, Parkesy said:

Yeah it will be city. Friend of mine who lives two doors down did his in the city and had to wait about two months which isnt too bad at all.

Did my test this morning. Got there at 8.45am for my 9am but I was taken straight through. 10 minutes chat with the interviewer and updated a few documents (new birth certificate).

Took test and was out in 4 minutes. 100% and out on the street at 9am! Couldn't believe how fast it was.

Yes!! Awesome.

Ah yeah 2 months is really good. We'd been pretty lucky with the speed of the first stages, currently sitting on about 2.5 months after approval, hopefully next month or so we get an invite.

Keep us updated!

• Like 1

Updated Timeline is 

Application submitted = 28 January 2019

Test Date Received  = 16 September 2019 (can,t reschedule due to regional area Pilbara WA)

Test Conducted      =   08 January 2020 (Pretty much quick hardly 10 minutes inn and out)

Approval =========Pending

Ceremony======== Pending

Regards

Rizwan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parkesy said:

Great to know your test and interview was amazing. What do they ask at interview and do they ask for original documents?

Have you been approved yet? Only after you have been approved does your wait for ceremony start... A lot of people have been approved soon after passing the test/interview, but some have had to wait a few days/weeks.

On 17/12/2019 at 11:06, Braddz1 said:

Hi mate, Yasmins Timeline is exactly the same as mine apart from her test day is tommorow. Still no news back yet but we did ask to have the ceremony together so perhaps they are waiting for hers to be completed before progressing. We are both out at Erldunda atm but Alice springs is the closest to us. I wouldn’t know about the timeline for Alice but the lady in the interview said there was a good chance of it being the 26th. Yes the interview is held at 5 railway terrace Centrelink building. They say two hours but actually it won’t be longer than 20 minutes in the interview room. I hope it come through quickly 🤞

Hi Mate, have you been approved?

23 hours ago, Indianinoz said:

Thanks for the information, in this case, do I have to call them or do I have to fill a special travel request form.

on the other hand, please see below:

Section 22B of the Citizenship Act provides that persons engaged in particular kinds of work requiring regular travel outside Australia are eligible for a special residence requirement. To meet this special residence requirement, during the four year period immediately before they submit their application, a person must have:

• been engaged in the prescribed work for at least two years;
  • been ordinarily residing in Australia, and have been a permanent resident for the last 12 months;
  • been present in Australia for at least 480 days in total, including at least 120 days during the 12 months immediately before applying; and
  • not been present in Australia as an unlawful non-citizen.