AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

Good morning everyone 😄

I just had a quick question about my application for citizenship. I meet all of the general residency requirements but was wondering about the 12-month residency requirement. Does this mean I can submit my application on the anniversary that my residency was granted? Or should I wait until the following day to qualify as 12 months?

For example:

PR granted: 18th Feb 2019

Citizenship applied: 18th Feb 2020 or the following day?

Many thanks,

Rob

3 minutes ago, robinoz2018 said:

Good morning everyone 😄

I just had a quick question about my application for citizenship. I meet all of the general residency requirements but was wondering about the 12-month residency requirement. Does this mean I can submit my application on the anniversary that my residency was granted? Or should I wait until the following day to qualify as 12 months?

For example:

PR granted: 18th Feb 2019

Citizenship applied: 18th Feb 2020 or the following day?

Many thanks,

Rob

@robinoz2018 You should be able to apply on the day of your 12 month anniversary (18th Feb).

The online application also validates you application (mine did), whereby if you do not meet the criteria (waiting times) it'll tell you and not allow you to proceed. 

- I tried getting my application submission ready beforehand and it would stop me from proceeding until i had waited exactly 12 months on PR (and 4 years in the country total). 

• Like 1

Hi Guys, Just joined this forum and would be keen to hear how long it took for people from application lodgement to being sent the letter for the interview / test? My details:

a. Eligible: 31/12/2019

b. Application lodged online: 05/01/2020

c. Interview / Test appointment: TBD

d. Citizenship ceremony: TBD

3 hours ago, Gaurav99 said:

Hi Guys, Just joined this forum and would be keen to hear how long it took for people from application lodgement to being sent the letter for the interview / test? My details:

Depends on a few factors. Which DOHA office is your application going to?

Hi all

I have a small ‘problem’

just had my citizenship ceremony date for 19th Feb.

it says I should wait 10 business days after to apply for a passport. I know I can fast track a passport in 2 days.

My problem is I have to travel to a business meeting on 2nd March in Dubai. If I don’t, my job depends on it.

1. do I really have to wait 10 business days to apply for a passport?
2. Is there any way of travelling on my British passport after ceremony?
3. What if I tried to change the date of my ceremony? Is this possible?

thanks a lot!

5 minutes ago, imthedave said:

Hi all

I have a small ‘problem’

it says I should wait 10 business days after to apply for a passport. I know I can fast track a passport in 2 days.

My problem is I have to travel to a business meeting on 2nd March in Dubai. If I don’t, my job depends on it.

thanks a lot!

We didn’t. As long as you get your certificate at the ceremony you can apply straight away. Maybe it is to ensure systems are updated, who knows.  It is tight so you would need to pay the extra for a fast turnaround. 
You can change the date of your ceremony. Speak to your council, their should be a contact on the letter.

1 hour ago, imthedave said:

Hi all

I have a small ‘problem’

thanks a lot!

Firstly congratulations for ceremony.

You can apply very next day after  your ceremony once you get your citizenship certificate. I am saying this because 1of the our forum member had applied very  next day after the ceremony for passport and got it within 4 days after the ceremony. Dont stress every thing should be ok..

17 hours ago, imthedave said:

Hi all

I have a small ‘problem’

thanks a lot!

I'm wondering if your British Passport + Australian Citizenship Certificate would be sufficient to evidence your right to enter the country upon your return? 🕵️‍♂️

On 07/01/2020 at 11:38, Gaurav99 said:

Good luck 🙂

Edited by Mazen

On 06/01/2020 at 12:09, Indianinoz said:

Hello all,

From what I make out from this thread, tentative waiting time for invitation is as follows:
a) Usually within 9-10 months for Sydney applicants
b) Usually within 6 months for all other regions
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there someone who applied before 30th June 2019(other than Sydney) and before 31st March 2019(Sydney) and still hasn't been invited for the test?

Yes, applied 4/03/2019, it shows application received and no improvement on the application status ever since and still waiting.

City: Wagga Wagga, NSW

47 minutes ago, Mazen said:

Yes, applied 4/03/2019, it shows application received and no improvement on the application status ever since and still waiting.

City: Wagga Wagga, NSW

Oh, that is a long wait. Hope you get there very soon. If I may ask, did you make a big foreign trip during this period? I have somewhere read that if you go overseas after application, your application is kept on hold for that duration.

5 minutes ago, Indianinoz said:

Oh, that is a long wait. Hope you get there very soon. If I may ask, did you make a big foreign trip during this period? I have somewhere read that if you go overseas after application, your application is kept on hold for that duration.

Yes, its part of my Job to travel overseas at least twice a year.

I was thinking with this scenario one day, that my application is kept on hold every time I travel but not sure how true is that 😞

Thanks Mazen, I think usually big overseas trips may cause such delay. How long are these 2 trips? Is it just a few weeks? Or is each trip a few months? If its the latter, then it seems this is the cause of delay. Also, do you inform the immigration department when you make a trip? I think this is essential.

15 minutes ago, Indianinoz said:

Thanks Mazen, I think usually big overseas trips may cause such delay. How long are these 2 trips? Is it just a few weeks? Or is each trip a few months? If its the latter, then it seems this is the cause of delay. Also, do you inform the immigration department when you make a trip? I think this is essential.

it's usually a few weeks, I don't have to inform the immi department.

When you are granted a permanent visa, you are usually permitted a 5-year travel facility. This means you can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like in the 5 years from the date your permanent visa was granted, as long as your visa remains valid.

I usually check the VEVO website every time I go to double-check the PR validity

form my understanding, if I traveled for more than 90 days, I'll have to issue a police clearance from the country I visited.

• Thanks 1