AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

UPDATE:

1. Date applied - 17/8/15

2. City/Council area - Melbourne, Maribyrnong

3. Online / Paper - Online

4. Date received the acknowledgement email - 18/8/15 (actually within 2 hours of applying but due to lateness of time I applied technically the next day)

4a. Date received the appointment date by email - 3/9/15

5. Date of the Citizenship Test - 1/10/15

5a. Date received the Citizenship Approval Letter by post - 8/10/15 (letter dated 5/10/15)

6. Date of ceremony - TBA

7. Type of ceremony - TBA

• 2 weeks later...
Which one will process quicker ?the paper or online application? Thanks

It makes no difference how you apply because there is plenty of "waiting time" in the whole process.

Assuming your application is good (whichever version you choose) and you pass the interview and test, you are then in the hands of your local council for a ceremony date. And that will depend on how efficient they are and how many new citizens need a ceremony and the availability of spaces at said ceremonies.

1. Date applied 28/10/15
  2. City/Council area Randwick
  3. Online / Paper Online
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email 29/10/15
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test 11/11/15
  6. Date of ceremony wait and see
  7. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal)

Amazed how quickly they got back in touch to arrange the test. My PR was granted 27/10/14 so I was quick off the mark!

Edited by Becstar

Sometimes people ask for an urgent ceremony if they need to travel, want to get earlier access to government tuition support, etc., otherwise normal applies to most people.

Thanks MaggieMay24, if that's the case what's the standard wait time for the ceremony. Just curious.

I asked my friend and she was on Normal. Waited 7 months for it. i don't mind the wait but interested to see anyone who had experience on Urgent and what was the wait time.

Cheers

Date applied - 20/8/15

City/Council area - Melbourne, Banyule

Online / Paper - Paper

Date received the acknowledgement email - 1/9/15

Date of the Citizenship Test - 30/9/15; passed!

Citizenship approval letter - 8/10/15

Date of ceremony - TBA

Type of ceremony - TBA

Update

Family of 5 - 4 approval letters were received 8/10/15

The 5th approval letter arrived today, 2/11/15.

Just awaiting ceremony date now. Australia Day perhaps?

I gather the wait times depend entirely on the council where the ceremony is held, so you'd need to see how often they hold them and if you can find any indication of the wait times that apply there. I've just applied myself so am somewhat figuring this out too. My council has ceremonies twice a month but I have no idea how busy they are so can't tell how quickly I'll get a ceremony date.

Date applied - 25/8/15

City/Council area - brisbane cbd

Online / Paper - online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 2/9/15

Date of the Citizenship Test - 10/9/15; passed!

Citizenship approval letter - 22/09/15

Date of ceremony - tentative day Australia day. 26.01.2016

Type of ceremony - normal.

1. Date applied - 13/02/2015

2. City/Council area - Melbourne/Moreland City Council

4. Date received the acknowledgement email - early March 2015, issue with birth certificate. Test rescheduled(original date 31/03/2015)

5. Date of the Citizenship Test - 14/05/2015

6. Date of ceremony - TBA

7. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal) - Normal

This Saturday will mark the 6th month of the waiting period, rang a week ago, they said I have not yet been allocated. And they are unable to tell when I will be allocated.

Last ceremony for this council for this year is on the 19th Nov. No further schedule for next year yet. Waiting and more waiting. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

1. Date applied - 13/02/2015
  2. City/Council area - Melbourne/Boroondara City Council
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email - early March 2015, issue with birth certificate. Test rescheduled(original date 31/03/2015)
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test - 14/05/2015
  6. Date of ceremony - 08/12/2015
  7. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal) - Normal

Original application - Moreland City Council, moved house in March, immigration changed the council to my current area.

Edited by cherrygn

Update!

Date applied - 1/09/15

City/Council area - Adelaide/Unley

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 1/09/15

Date of the Citizenship Test - 15/09/15

Date of ceremony - 26/01/16

Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal) - Normal

Spoke to the department a couple days ago and they confirmed I've made the shortlist for the Australia Day ceremony. Yippee! :)

Update!

Date applied - 1/09/15

City/Council area - Adelaide/Unley

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 1/09/15

Date of the Citizenship Test - 15/09/15

Date of ceremony - 26/01/16

Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal) - Normal

Spoke to the department a couple days ago and they confirmed I've made the shortlist for the Australia Day ceremony. Yippee! :)

Hi SB, when you say, spoke to the Dept, who exactly did you ring and what did they say? I'm hoping I'll be on the list for Australia Day too.... My application was approved end Sept.

Hi Isabel, you can ring the department on 131 881, Mon-Friday 8.30-4.30. Try ring them early, last time I waited around 1.5 hours.

You provide them you TRN number, they will let you know whether you have been allocated. If not, they will tell you no. They won't be able tell you when if there is no allocation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly right! I called the 131 881 line and went through the prompts for citizenship enquiries and then ceremonies. I used the callback service and actually didn't get a callback for about 4 hours! The person I spoke to was nice and had confirmed I was on the list for Australia Day. Looking forward to it !

Exactly right! I called the 131 881 line and went through the prompts for citizenship enquiries and then ceremonies. I used the callback service and actually didn't get a callback for about 4 hours! The person I spoke to was nice and had confirmed I was on the list for Australia Day. Looking forward to it !

Hooray! Just had confirmation from Immi to say I'm in for a ceremony on Aus Day!

Date applied - 25/8/15

City/Council area - brisbane cbd

Online / Paper - online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 2/9/15

Date of the Citizenship Test - 10/9/15; passed!

Citizenship approval letter - 22/09/15

Date of ceremony - tentative day Australia day. 26.01.2016

Type of ceremony - normal.

Received my official invitation in the mail. Citizenship ceremony Australia day 26th Jan.

So all in all 5 months for total process for me.

I got indooropilly location for the ceremony, was hoping for the city hall but just delighted the journey is almost complete.

Hang in there everyone. X