AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

8 minutes ago, Netbg said:

My PR has expired and we are going overseas on 18th Dec. I have sat my test (beginning of June) and heard nothing. Should I be apply for the visa to leave the country (I think it’s a 155 visa)? How long do they take to process that?

Yes, you absolutely have to have a Resident Return Visa.  If you don't get one, you won't be allowed back in the country!!!    However it shouldn't be a problem to have it approved in time - if you meet all the criteria, it only takes a few days.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Netbg said:

My PR has expired and we are going overseas on 18th Dec. I have sat my test (beginning of June) and heard nothing. Should I be apply for the visa to leave the country (I think it’s a 155 visa)? How long do they take to process that?

Yes, even if you had your approval tomorrow, waiting times for the ceremony can be long (I've been waiting for more than 2 months, and no news yet). So it might be safer to apply for a RRV.

19 minutes ago, MrGrieves said:

Yes, even if you had your approval tomorrow, waiting times for the ceremony can be long (I've been waiting for more than 2 months, and no news yet). So it might be safer to apply for a RRV.

Damn, I was hoping my citizenship would be through before December. I guess the problem then is that I have to apply for the passport as well. I might give it until the end of September and apply for the RRV

Edited by Netbg
Mistake

3 minutes ago, Netbg said:

Damn, I was hoping my citizenship would be through before December. I guess the problem then is that I have to apply for the passport as well. I might give it until the end of September and apply for the RRV

If you only applied this year then your citizenship certainly won’t be complete by December. No chance

Edited by Marisawright

32 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If you only applied this year then your citizenship certainly won’t be complete by December. No chance

I realise I have to get a RRV to leave the country now my PR has expired but I just hoped my citizenship would be through. Applied for citizenship April 2018

58 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I know it's frustrating for the forum members here who have been waiting a very long time, but based on more recent timelines i would question there being no chance of a turnaround within a year. Unlikely, maybe. 

Edited by millski88
  • Like 1

Although I did see someone from Perth who has applied, had the test and been approved all between June and September this year, I’d genuinely like to see them get Citizenship before Christmas! It puts Brisbane City Council (and many others) to shame [emoji16]
  • Like 3

On 09/09/2019 at 09:16, millski88 said:

Think we've finally got our appointments in order.

Me - 17th October
OH - 24th October

OH needed one as late as possible in the afternoon, so probably not feasible to hold out for the same day. Happy that these aren't too long to wait now, and fairly close together.

Averaging 95-100% on the practice tests, itching to do it now!!!

Awesome mate. Moving quick that hey! Think we are owed it after the PR debacle! Hoping mine comes through soon. Its like our visa lives are in sync haha!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Parkesy said:

Awesome mate. Moving quick that hey! Think we are owed it after the PR debacle! Hoping mine comes through soon. Its like our visa lives are in sync haha!

Yeah definitely quicker than expected! 

When the change to immigration bill was announced i panicked and wished i could have submitted for citizenship back then, now i'm glad i couldn't in a way... unfortunate for so many people here waiting that the influx of applications have just gotten stuck.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, millski88 said:

Yeah definitely quicker than expected! 

When the change to immigration bill was announced i panicked and wished i could have submitted for citizenship back then, now i'm glad i couldn't in a way... unfortunate for so many people here waiting that the influx of applications have just gotten stuck.

Yeah so keen to get mine. Ive waited enough over the years! Sam as you - working hol, 457, work transfer, 457, 186, CITIZENSHIP.

Same ANZCO too ha. You in Melbourne again I cant remember?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parkesy said:

Yeah so keen to get mine. Ive waited enough over the years! Sam as you - working hol, 457, work transfer, 457, 186, CITIZENSHIP.

Same ANZCO too ha. You in Melbourne again I cant remember?

Melbourne yeah! Have we got an identical immigration history? haha. Must be similar dates too.

11 minutes ago, Ray119 said:

Hi. Guys. I new here.

I can see the official time frame 18~20months.

However, I want to know what's actual average period to get AUS citizenship(approved)?

Thanks

Hey!

Unfortunately that's very difficult to say.

You could refer to the 'sharemytimeline' website, here: http://sharemytimeline.info/

But in all honesty, that's user-generated data, no one really knows it's accuracy.

You'll see cases on the forum here of people waiting 1.5-2 years with no test appointment, then on the other hand people who have had test and approval within 4-6 months. There's not a lot of trends to pull from, it's very hard if not impossible to predict a time frame based on your specific application unfortunately.

All the best!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nimmgaya said:

Hi we got the approval today. 😀😀

Here is our timeline 

Applied 10 Mar 2019

doc requested 24 Mar 2019

Test invitation  9 May 2019

Test date 12 Jun 2019 

Approved 12 Sep 2019

Launceston tasmania. 

Woah! Congrats. See, there's a potential turnaround within a year right there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrGrieves said:

Not if the ceremony is scheduled 4-5 months later, which is the average wait at the moment.

Thankfully, Tasmanian councils don't seem to have any waiting lists for ceremonies. Many councils allow you to book a private ceremony at the local council office at a time that is convenient to you and the mayor. In cities like Launceston, applicants will automatically be included in the next ceremony as they only see a total of 100-200 applicants in total each year.

• Like 2

On 13/09/2019 at 09:19, MrGrieves said:

Not if the ceremony is scheduled 4-5 months later, which is the average wait at the moment.

On 13/09/2019 at 09:49, millski88 said:

Look on the bright side though? 😂

Guess what!!!

I received the ceremony invite e-mail for the 2-Oct. So if you have not got the invite for this one, you will definitely be in for the 23rd Oct.

Here is the final timeline.
My Timeline (Applied with my child)
Online application applied/ received – 1/05/19
Council – Greater Dandenong, VIC
Email received 23/07/2019 with date for citizenship test for Late Jan2020
Date of the Citizenship Test – 08/08/2019
Date of approval – 08/08/2019 (same day)
Citizenship approval letter received -16/08/2019
Ceremony invite e-mail – 13/09/2019
Ceremony: 02/10/2019

5 Months from start to Finish!!
Thank Lord. Super excited!!!

Edited by MaggieMay24
Removed hyperlink/external site reference
  • Like 1