AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

I'VE BEEN APPROVED!!! 

So bloody happy and relieved. I last checked my account about 5pm on Friday evening and it was still 'received'. Presumed there wouldn't be anything happening over the weekend, but just decided to check today on the off-chance (Sunday) and my status had changed to approved. Here's my updated timeline:

1. Date applied: 11 March 2018
  2. City/Council area: Rockingham, WA
  3. Online / Paper: Online
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email: 11 March 2018
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test: 11 March 2019
  6. Date of Approval: 11 August 2019
  7. Date of ceremony: TBA
  8. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal): Urgent, if possible. 

Now just to get onto the council to get me a ceremony in time for me to access HECS this semester...

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 3

Hello,

Say for example I made my first entry on 1st January 2016. Now, I made trips out of Australia for about a month each year. Till date, I have made 4 trips out of Australia of about 120 days in total.

Quote from Citizenship laws:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Permanent Residents - After 1 July 2007

If you obtain your permanent residence after 1 July 2007, you will need to meet the following requirements to become an Australian citizen:

• You have lived lawfully in Australia for at least 4 years; and
  • You have lived in Australia for at least 12 months as a permanent resident

Note that if you have spent more than 12 months in the last 4 years outside Australia or 3 months in the last 12 outside Australia, you will no longer meet the residence requirements for citizenship.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now in my case, although I complete 4 years on 1st Jan 2020, I do complete 3 years and 9 months of stay on 1st Oct 2019. Note that a minimum of 9 months of residence is completed in the last year on 1st Oct 2019 assuming I did not leave Australia in the last year. Is it possible to apply for citizenship on 1st Oct 2019 rather than wait for 1st Jan 2020 as my criteria for stay/citizenship is completed?

5 minutes ago, Indianinoz said:

Hello,

Say for example I made my first entry on 1st January 2016. Now, I made trips out of Australia for about a month each year. Till date, I have made 4 trips out of Australia of about 120 days in total.

Quote from Citizenship laws:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Permanent Residents - After 1 July 2007

If you obtain your permanent residence after 1 July 2007, you will need to meet the following requirements to become an Australian citizen:

• You have lived lawfully in Australia for at least 4 years; and
  • You have lived in Australia for at least 12 months as a permanent resident

Note that if you have spent more than 12 months in the last 4 years outside Australia or 3 months in the last 12 outside Australia, you will no longer meet the residence requirements for citizenship.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now in my case, although I complete 4 years on 1st Jan 2020, I do complete 3 years and 9 months of stay on 1st Oct 2019. Note that a minimum of 9 months of residence is completed in the last year on 1st Oct 2019 assuming I did not leave Australia in the last year. Is it possible to apply for citizenship on 1st Oct 2019 rather than wait for 1st Jan 2020 as my criteria for stay/citizenship is completed?

Would suggest you to use the residence calculator: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/tools/residence-calculator

to see if you are eligible on the date you are proposing to lodge your applications.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, supertoblerone said:

Would suggest you to use the residence calculator: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/tools/residence-calculator

to see if you are eligible on the date you are proposing to lodge your applications.

Thanks, it shows I can apply only when 4 years have been completed from first date of entry. So need to wait for a few months. 🙂 Thanks

I used this to see if I could lodge and it said I could so I did.
But according to an extract that a migration agent on here provided, the way I’ve interpreted it, I actually wasn’t eligible.... I’m still not approved yet so I don’t know whether it’s an issue or not.
Maybe don’t rely solely on this tool [emoji2372]

6 minutes ago, LouDYorkie said:

But according to an extract that a migration agent on here provided, the way I’ve interpreted it, I actually wasn’t eligible.... I’m still not approved yet so I don’t know whether it’s an issue or not.
Maybe don’t rely solely on this tool emoji2372.png

That is true as the calculator is just a guide but might not give you the accurate results. It is important that you have the accurate info of all of you travels. @Indianinoz you might want to check with DHA like what I did earlier this year:

Here is the email address: e-service.support@border.gov.au 

All the best!

Edited by supertoblerone
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LouDYorkie said:

Maybe don’t rely solely on this tool emoji2372.png

We are on the same boat, I've checked with this tool and it says I was eligible. I also checked with e-Service Support Helpdesk and they confirmed by saying "Our records show that as long as you do not travel outside of Australia before XX/05/2019 you will become eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship on XX/05/2019". The immiaccount also will not let you start your application if you are not eligible.

I am not sure what is causing the delay, as my CO says they will only need the police check that will normally take a day to get the result but been waiting for 6 days now since my interview and test date with "received" status.

3 hours ago, supertoblerone said:

@Yeyebonel @ropar any reasons for the delay? Did your CO tell you something about it? Like they have to go and do a police check?

@supertoblerone my CO told me that they will do an onshore and offshore police checks. I have various places / countries that I had visited so maybe that’s why it took that long. Or maybe because heaps of people lodged their Aus citizenship app.

Edited by Yeyebonel

1 hour ago, Yeyebonel said:

@supertoblerone my CO told me that they will do an onshore and offshore police checks. I have various places / countries that I had visited so maybe that’s why it took that long. Or maybe because heaps of people lodged their Aus citizenship app.

We actually supplied a new Aus police checks with our application. Judging by these comments it looks like we didn't need to! However it could work in our favour potentially, as we haven't left the country long enough to need any checks from other countries... the application was in a way 'decision ready' when we submitted.

Edited by millski88

9 minutes ago, millski88 said:

We actually supplied a new Aus police checks with our application. Judging by these comments it looks like we didn't need to! However it could work in our favour potentially, as we haven't left the country long enough to need any checks from other countries... the application was in a way 'decision ready' when we submitted.

So it is safe to upload a Aus police clearance on your immiaccount even they don't ask it? I am thinking there is no harm doing this as you said it could work especially if no activity is happening with your case for a long time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, supertoblerone said:

So it is safe to upload a Aus police clearance on your immiaccount even they don't ask it? I am thinking there is no harm doing this as you said it could work especially if no activity is happening with your case for a long time. 

It wouldn’t hurt to upload but I know from various forums that the CO can check it automatically whilst they’re talking at you.

43 minutes ago, supertoblerone said:

Wouldn't have thought so! I know that it's advisable not to overly supply documents and to keep it simple and relevant, but i think an AFP check is pretty relevant. For the $40 or whatever it could just shave off a bit of time for a CO processing. (note: this is pure speculation and isn't based on any evidence!)

I filed them in 'Other documents' and labelled as "[Name]_Good-Character-Evidence_Recent-Aus-Police-Check"

Edited by millski88

Just now, millski88 said:

Wouldn't have thought so! I know that it's advisable not to overly supply documents and to keep it simple and relevant, but i think an AFP check is pretty relevant. For the $40 or whatever it could just shave off a bit of time for a CO processing. (note: this isn't based on any evidence and it pure speculation!)

Yeah I agree! It is really relevant as that is what the CO is waiting for. She mentioned that we need a police check and normally it will only take a day - She said it is the national police check so we are on the same page. I will give it ago. What we are supplying is also legal document so I dont think it would hurt. I have paid for it and waiting to receive by post. We'll see how it goes.

22 hours ago, cybervoodoo said:

I'VE BEEN APPROVED!!! 

So bloody happy and relieved. I last checked my account about 5pm on Friday evening and it was still 'received'. Presumed there wouldn't be anything happening over the weekend, but just decided to check today on the off-chance (Sunday) and my status had changed to approved. Here's my updated timeline:

1. Date applied: 11 March 2018
  2. City/Council area: Rockingham, WA
  3. Online / Paper: Online
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email: 11 March 2018
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test: 11 March 2019
  6. Date of Approval: 11 August 2019
  7. Date of ceremony: TBA
  8. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal): Urgent, if possible. 

Now just to get onto the council to get me a ceremony in time for me to access HECS this semester...

Congrats for the same. All the best for the future en-devours. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/08/2019 at 17:13, VBB said:

It appears that most applications take a while to be processed. Could anybody advise if I could lodge my application a couple of months before I meet the 1 year PR requirement, given that I've been living in Australia for over 6 years? 

I think you can't do so. 

On 11/08/2019 at 16:11, rammygirl said:

Plus you won’t be eligible till the day after the one year.  So get PR on 1st Jan, can’t apply til the 2nd Jan the following year.  You must meet the criteria at time of application.

Good news is that newer applications seem to be getting processed faster.

I believe this is incorrect. I contacted Home Affairs and they stated that your initial arrival date as well as the date you received permanent residency equal "full days". This means if you receive PR in Jan 1, then you will have completed the one year requirement on Dec 31 and can therefore apply on Jan 1st of the following year so long as you meet the 4 year requirement of being on a valid Australian visa. Many applicants have received approvals this way.

3 hours ago, Ausa0000 said:

I believe this is incorrect. I contacted Home Affairs and they stated that your initial arrival date as well as the date you received permanent residency equal "full days". This means if you receive PR in Jan 1, then you will have completed the one year requirement on Dec 31 and can therefore apply on Jan 1st of the following year so long as you meet the 4 year requirement of being on a valid Australian visa. Many applicants have received approvals this way.

You are correct.  I was remembering someone who thought they could apply on the 31st dec (for example) when they got PR on the 1st Jan.

Although when I did my calculations on time spent outside Aus, I counted any time in Aus as a full day, but they didn’t credit me with all of those days.  Anyway the system won’t let you progress if you don’t meet the requirement.  Waiting a day is neither here or there really.