AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

On 29/07/2019 at 14:20, Coupleinoz said:

Could anyone in Melbourne share timings from approval to ceremony? I'm in Darebin City Council which doesn't hold ceremonies (anyone in this suburb know where the Department of Home Affairs normally send people for ceremony who live in this council?). 

My current timeline:

- Applied: July 2018

- Test date received: April 2019

- Test taken: 25 July 2019

- Approved: 29 July 2019

Have a look at this site: http://sharemytimeline.info/

10 hours ago, shiveringpom said:

monthly groan from me in Brisbane  and shout out to all those waiting a long time..................................

we hit 19 months months with nothing other than 'received'  this weekend ......4/1/18 'received' status  for  Brisbane city - straight forward family of 4 application ......

i am keeping up the calls and emails to anyone who will isten   but as its  now '90% for 24 months to completion'  they have 5 months to complete us  still so must sit on my hands and waittttttttt

any other long waiters feel free to have a good moan   and all those who have sailed thro please nod politely and pass the wine  x

That's just ridiculous. I wish you well for next week 😔 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shiveringpom said:

monthly groan from me in Brisbane  and shout out to all those waiting a long time..................................

we hit 19 months months with nothing other than 'received'  this weekend ......4/1/18 'received' status  for  Brisbane city - straight forward family of 4 application ......

i am keeping up the calls and emails to anyone who will isten   but as its  now '90% for 24 months to completion'  they have 5 months to complete us  still so must sit on my hands and waittttttttt

any other long waiters feel free to have a good moan   and all those who have sailed thro please nod politely and pass the wine  x

All the best for your application. 

• Like 1

Is citizenship application quicker for applicants from regional areas(small towns) than metros like Sydney and Melbourne?
Date applied..18/2/19
Test date.......11/6/19
Approval.........13/7/19
Ceremony........waiting
Region............south Australia
  • Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 2

23 minutes ago, ropar said:

Date applied..18/2/19
Test date.......11/6/19
Approval.........13/7/19
Ceremony........waiting

That's an impressive timeline for approval. Best of luck with ceremony and congratulations 🎊

23 minutes ago, ropar said:
26 minutes ago, Tanwi said:
That's an impressive timeline for approval. Best of luck with ceremony and congratulations emoji323.png

Thank you tanwi... still waiting for approval letter.showing approval on immi account

At least it shows approval so that's a good thing. 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ropar said:

Date applied..18/2/19
Test date.......11/6/19
Approval.........13/7/19
Ceremony........waiting

Just out of curiosity, did you take the test at a Department of Home Affairs office or a Department of Human Services office?

On 02/08/2019 at 07:49, shiveringpom said:

Been waiting too. 17 months

30 January 2018 I applied (Darwin). 
19 July 2018 - took the test and asked to submit 1399
To date: Nothing - status is still "Received"
Wife has the same timeline except after exams she got the approval 2-3 days after.

I am not sure if it is because I was born in Iran and grew up in the Philippines, so that means I am from an LR country(Philippines) who was born in an HR country(Iran)

Also read from whirlpool posted by Aus0000

From all the information I have read, newer applications are being processed by way of a new streamlined system designed to make things faster. Unfortunately for those that applied in 2017 and 2018, those applications were most likely input into an older system of processing. It would not be easy nor practical to place these older applications into the new system sadly as they have already been sorted to different processing centres and grouped into different application batches.

Once received, I believe applications are sorted into bulk batches according to their type and month received. This includes whether they are citizenship applications based on permanent residents that received residency through family migration, skilled workers, humanitarian reasons, etc. They are then sorted into groups based on the application's complexity after an initial check. The complexity is determined by HR or LR country, supplied documentation, the available paperwork trail an applicant has, etc.

This is why some people receive quicker processing depending on what batch of applications they fall into Each batch is generally processed according to their application date. Processing speed is also then determined by where you live. Your processing centre, test centre, and council and their frequency of ceremonies all factor into how quickly the process will be. The applications ask where your closest immigration centre is and I believe this may factor into what processing centre handles your application.

This explains why people who live in Tasmania or rural mainland areas like South Australia or NT enjoy quicker processing. A faster processing center + a test centre with low traffic + a council with frequent ceremonies or few applicants all equal up to a fast processing time. So they are processing applications in order they are received, but what system they were input into as well as the other factors outlined above all make it seem that there is no organization when in fact there is. There are just so many different factors that go into processing each individual application, and that is why no two applications are treated the same and you end up with a wide variety of processing times.

A reminder that all this may not be fact, it is just what I believe may be correct based on the countless documents I have read regarding the issue.

Edited by KrisG

4 minutes ago, KrisG said:

Wife has the same timeline except after exams she got the approval 2-3 days after.

I am not sure if it is because I was born in Iran and grew up in the Philippines, so that means I am from an LR country(Philippines) who was born in an HR country(Iran)

Run,  run far away as fast as you can.

15 hours ago, KrisG said:

i wouldnt mind waiting if they would just tell us why or how long .... its the total lack of info we get when we enquire and total lack of nothingness that happens after you apply ........ we havent been asked to provide anything else not that there is anything left to give them lol and we are probably the easiest case type they have as a simple family of 4 from UK with no issues just transferring from PR .....

i suspect 2017 and early 2018 cases perhaps are on the floor in a heap  and just hope that at some point they are picked up ...

the funny thing is tho by time we do our test /meet with caseworker all our ID forms and photos we sent in will be almost 2 years old at this rate -  our kids are changing all the time  and passports/driving licences/household bills and all that surely must be all a bit pointless as so old or out of date or even changed  from when we put them all in with the application ...

must have patience   x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shiveringpom said:

i wouldnt mind waiting if they would just tell us why or how long .... its the total lack of info we get when we enquire and total lack of nothingness that happens after you apply .

The "why" is because of budget cuts which means there aren't enough staff to do the work, so the backlog just keeps piling up.     I seem to recall someone saying the Department has admitted their are problems with its processes, but in my experience (as a former manager) that's just corporate-speak for, "Our consultants came up with improved processes so we cut staff accordingly, but now the staff that are left can't seem to make them work".  

Of course one could also be cynical.  We all know how anti-immigration this government is, so I wonder if this is their reasoning:  If people are applying for citizenship, it should be because they are settled in Australia and don't want to leave.  So most people shouldn't be too bothered if the process takes a long time, they're not going anywhere and can get on with life while they wait.   If people are champing at the bit, it's because they want to get their citizenship and then abandon the country to go home, so why should we give it to them?  Let's keep them waiting till they give up and go home." 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The "why" is because of budget cuts which means there aren't enough staff to do the work, so the backlog just keeps piling up.     I seem to recall someone saying the Department has admitted their are problems with its processes, but in my experience (as a former manager) that's just corporate-speak for, "Our consultants came up with improved processes so we cut staff accordingly, but now the staff that are left can't seem to make them work".  

Of course one could also be cynical.  We all know how anti-immigration this government is, so I wonder if this is their reasoning:  If people are applying for citizenship, it should be because they are settled in Australia and don't want to leave.  So most people shouldn't be too bothered if the process takes a long time, they're not going anywhere and can get on with life while they wait.   If people are champing at the bit, it's because they want to get their citizenship and then abandon the country to go home, so why should we give it to them?  Let's keep them waiting till they give up and go home." 

for me i work in healthcare and want to be able to vote , no voting for 5 years now and  yet my job is affected by  politics all the time so i want to vote - yes there are some who are planning to leave as soon as they get the passport and that hurts people like us who are here to stay and contribute with work and taxes etc etc , for me its closure and not having to worry about travel and RRV and passports and uni fees maybe for kids  in the future....saying that i cant believe we would get to 3.5 yrs and need to apply for another RRV  but if you are left waiting like us you do tend to worry about how long can this all go on for ..... its nice to finally 'belong'  for some people and again that means different things to different people  .... my UK neighbour has been here for 30yrs plus and never applied for citizenship i found out the other day -he had to rapidly secure RRV when his parents got sick last year but he is happy not to apply still so each to there own ....  my groan is just why our application ?- of course first world problem  for all of us at end of day   but its hard to sit and see other people sail thro or others leave the country as soon as they get it .... BUT thats the beauty of this forum so that people can share info-tips and good news and bad news and sometime just have a grumble lol

• Like 3

Agreed. Wish they weren't or are being cynical. 😔 

For myself I have been here since 12 years of age. Studied my way through (international fees etc), then got PR , had my children here. So Australia home to me 

I love my home country but Australia is where my children are so therefore where I will be. 

Also citizenship would open up a lot of opportunities for me. It's been a  rough couple of years so I will be so over the moon when I attend this ceremony. Because finally I will be settled. 

Anyways I'm a new applicant so gotta be patient and when it does happen, I am baking myself a huge cake to celebrate. For now gonna keep clicking immi everyday to see any progress🤷🏾‍♀️

Edited by Tanwi
  • Like 2

Last Friday I received an invitation for the interview and test.  I applied on 5 June this year. So I guess the whole 2018/2019 divide is true.

The interview and test is scheduled for February next year but I'll try to move it forward.

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 2

ps its people right to leave the country and return to uk or move to another country of course when they get the passport - in todays global economy i totally get that ... just in case misinterpreted ....... maybe they know this and can see  we aint going anywhere so just put us on the shelf lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LAG said:

Last Friday I received an invitation for the interview and test.  I applied on 5 June this year. So I guess the whole 2018/2019 divide is true.

The interview and test is scheduled for February next year but I'll try to move it forward.

Hey LAG. Wow that's crazy quick. Could I ask the basic details of your application? - How many applicants, which pathway, low risk/high risk country etc?

13 minutes ago, millski88 said:

Hey LAG. Wow that's crazy quick. Could I ask the basic details of your application? - How many applicants, which pathway, low risk/high risk country etc?

Hi millski88, yes I feel lucky. So it is me and my wife, linked applications (both got invitations on Friday). Our history is similar to yours, we had two 457s and then moved on to a 186 that was approved last year. This year as soon as we met the residency requirement we applied for citizenship. Low risk country.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LAG said:

Hi millski88, yes I feel lucky. So it is me and my wife, linked applications (both got invitations on Friday). Our history is similar to yours, we had two 457s and then moved on to a 186 that was approved last year. This year as soon as we met the residency requirement we applied for citizenship. Low risk country.  

not jealous at all lol , interestingly my work colleugue - non uk-  who  applied on her own  this yr  got invite for test within 6 months for brisbane  ( her kids and husband got citizenship already ) ...maybe i should ditch the kids ?? lol

Edited by shiveringpom
  • Haha 2

Updating my (and kids) timeline:

Applied - March 2018 (Sunshine Coast)

Test - April 2019 (Alice Springs) 

Approval - July 2019 

Ceremony - August 2019 (Boulia)

Hubbys timeline:

Applied - March 2018 (Sunshine Coast)

Test - December 2018 (Brisbane)

Approval - awaiting 

Edited by Bjg
  • Like 2
  • Congratulations 1

2 hours ago, LAG said:

Nice! And could you tell me how you first discovered your application update with the test date - did you receive an email or did something change within Immi Account?

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, millski88 said:

Nice! And could you tell me how you first discovered your application update with the test date - did you receive an email or did something change within Immi Account?

Thanks.

We got an email, looks like a generic system generated kind of email. The application on the ImmiAccount still says received. It has the appointment details but the status and the "last updated" info remains the same.

• Like 1