AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

13 hours ago, Sheral Singh said:

The PR Visa is for the period of 5 years. You need to apply for the citizenship to stay permanently in Australia. 

This statement is in correct,  you are misleading people. the PR never expires, just the travel element, my travel element ran out in 2016, what were they going to do stop me working deport me?> the PR only gets cancelled once you become an Australian citizenship ...  many people live in Australia on a PR from years ago. 

• Like 1

Was doing some Googling to try and find an answer to my question, think this thread has answered it so wanted to make a contribution:

1. Date applied: late March 2019
  2. City/Council area: Clarence (Hobart)
  3. Online / Paper: Online
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email: 26 March 2019
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test: 09 July 2019

Approval: 28 July 2019?? (said last activity on the account was 25 July, so guessing that's probably the actual date)

1. Date of ceremony: Waiting for letter
  2. Type of ceremony: Normal

Other info: American, 189 (Skilled Independent Visa), have lived in a few other countrieslong enough to require police checks (thankfully didn't have to redo for citizenship). Languished for a year on a joint Bridging visa with Immi demanding proof of my American partner and I's relationship despite having a Tasmanian Deed of Significant Relationship, which was supposedly all we needed.

I thought some of the info I got at my test/interview might be of interest to people here (apologies if it's been discussed on an earlier page) and thought I'd share: 

I had brought a copy of my birth certificate (actually a printout of a scan of the official copy) which the guy said I needed an original official copy for. He was able to let me do the test and everything else, and said he'd put through a request for more information that day, and I'd have 28 days or so to get the proper copy to them. I did get the email requesting more documents that day, but he rang me the following day to apologise and say he'd followed it up and my copy was good enough for Immi (recent change in policy) and to not worry about it. YMMV I suppose.

I got to chatting with the Home Affairs guy at the appointment and he mentioned that as of recently they are now able to access any document you've ever submitted to Immi (as opposed to the old system where they could only look at the one application), which is intended to help them streamline and speed things up. He alluded to a few other back-end improvements on their end and that things are always changing, though he seemed optimistic it was generally for the better now. I didn't actually think to ask (assumed they wouldn't tell me), but he looked at his screen and said it seemed like my application was most of the way processed, so it shouldn't be a huge wait. Based on my previous experience with Immigration I figured it'd still be months.

As I said, I still expected the wait to be months, so imagine my surprise when I logged in to my Immi account today on a lark and saw my application had been approved! (I had assumed I would get an email like with visa approvals so hadn't checked it since the day after my appointment.) From what I've read here and a thread on Whirlpool it sounds like that's what you have to do though? So at the moment I'm waiting for a letter from my local council about next citizenship ceremony. 

Incredibly exciting - in my mid 30s and have been on this path pretty much my whole adult life!

• Congratulations 1

25 minutes ago, FutureExSeppo said:

Was doing some Googling to try and find an answer to my question, think this thread has answered it so wanted to make a contribution:

1. Date applied: late March 2019
  2. City/Council area: Clarence (Hobart)
  3. Online / Paper: Online
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email: 26 March 2019
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test: 09 July 2019

Approval: 28 July 2019?? (said last activity on the account was 25 July, so guessing that's probably the actual date)

1. Date of ceremony: Waiting for letter
  2. Type of ceremony: Normal

Other info: American, 189 (Skilled Independent Visa), have lived in a few other countrieslong enough to require police checks (thankfully didn't have to redo for citizenship). Languished for a year on a joint Bridging visa with Immi demanding proof of my American partner and I's relationship despite having a Tasmanian Deed of Significant Relationship, which was supposedly all we needed.

I thought some of the info I got at my test/interview might be of interest to people here (apologies if it's been discussed on an earlier page) and thought I'd share: 

I had brought a copy of my birth certificate (actually a printout of a scan of the official copy) which the guy said I needed an original official copy for. He was able to let me do the test and everything else, and said he'd put through a request for more information that day, and I'd have 28 days or so to get the proper copy to them. I did get the email requesting more documents that day, but he rang me the following day to apologise and say he'd followed it up and my copy was good enough for Immi (recent change in policy) and to not worry about it. YMMV I suppose.

I got to chatting with the Home Affairs guy at the appointment and he mentioned that as of recently they are now able to access any document you've ever submitted to Immi (as opposed to the old system where they could only look at the one application), which is intended to help them streamline and speed things up. He alluded to a few other back-end improvements on their end and that things are always changing, though he seemed optimistic it was generally for the better now. I didn't actually think to ask (assumed they wouldn't tell me), but he looked at his screen and said it seemed like my application was most of the way processed, so it shouldn't be a huge wait. Based on my previous experience with Immigration I figured it'd still be months.

As I said, I still expected the wait to be months, so imagine my surprise when I logged in to my Immi account today on a lark and saw my application had been approved! (I had assumed I would get an email like with visa approvals so hadn't checked it since the day after my appointment.) From what I've read here and a thread on Whirlpool it sounds like that's what you have to do though? So at the moment I'm waiting for a letter from my local council about next citizenship ceremony. 

Incredibly exciting - in my mid 30s and have been on this path pretty much my whole adult life!

Congratulations and thank you for the insightful read. 🙂

29 minutes ago, FutureExSeppo said:

Date of the Citizenship Test: 09 July 2019

Did you sit your test on the day they wanted or did you move the test date up a bit from the original date? 

Thank you 

Edited by Tanwi

1 minute ago, Tanwi said:

Did you sit your test on the day they wanted or did you move the test date up a bit from the original date? 

Thank you 

I would have definitely moved it up if it'd been an option! If I remember correctly, I had actually put a note on my application to the effect of "please do not schedule test/interview between July 6-21" (was thinking of taking a trip back to America during school holidays to see my new niece) and so of course they offered me the 9th of July and 1-2 other dates in that range. 

I decided to scrub the trip as my only other option was to wait until late August for the next available appointment. I imagine Hobart is a comparatively small office so there might be fewer appointments/case officers available, and thus less flexibility. There were only like 2-3 desks in the Home Affairs office, or at least the client-facing part of it. 

8 minutes ago, Tanwi said:

Congratulations and thank you for the insightful read. 🙂

Thank you! Not quite real yet...

• Thanks 1

Date applied - 28 June 2018

City/Council area - Brisbane City

Online / Paper - Paper

Date of the Citizenship Test -15 November 2018 PASSED

Citizenship approval letter - 10 July 2019

Date of ceremony - TBA

Type of ceremony - TBA

Could anyone in Melbourne share timings from approval to ceremony? I'm in Darebin City Council which doesn't hold ceremonies (anyone in this suburb know where the Department of Home Affairs normally send people for ceremony who live in this council?). 

My current timeline:

- Applied: July 2018

- Test date received: April 2019

- Test taken: 25 July 2019

- Approved: 29 July 2019

On 25/07/2019 at 16:11, Tanwi said:

PR is PR. Permanent it's just the travel component that expires after the initial 5 years and needs to be reapplied for if you wish to travel in and out of Australia. 

If you don't need to travel out of Australia .

No need to renew RRV. 

Like myself for example Travel rights expired but I don't need to travel so I don't have an RRV in place at the moment. 

You can continue to live in PR indefinitely as per the government website if this is the case. 

Edited by Sheral Singh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Jack said:

Applied March 2018

Test April 2019 and passed 100%

Approved: 30 July 2019 

Just wondering how long it take to get ceremony letter

My mum got her ceremony letter about ten days after she was approved, but I think it depends on the council. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/07/2019 at 12:31, MrGrieves said:

I don't think this is correct, it just depends. Some have their application approved on the same day as test, others have been waiting for months. You will receive your approval letter a few days after your immiaccount shows 'approved'

It is the same thing that is said by me in short. 

10 hours ago, Sheral Singh said:

It is the same thing that is said by me in short. 

No, you said you would receive the approval letter soon as you have passed the test, which is not correct and misleading.

Again, for some applications, approval can take several months after you have passed the test. It is not 'as soon as' you have passed it.

• Like 2

On 31/07/2019 at 09:33, MrGrieves said:

No, you said you would receive the approval letter soon as you have passed the test, which is not correct and misleading.

Again, for some applications, approval can take several months after you have passed the test. It is not 'as soon as' you have passed it.

To  be fair,  My Daughter got hers the same day from the Parramatta Office, and it was literally uploaded on the system before she left the office as she checked so on her phone.

My wife passed her test on the 4th of Dec 2018, she had a letter dated the 5th of Dec and the council contacted her with a letter dated the 5th of Dec also.

It is not really fair for you to call his comments misleading when all cases are based on individual merits.  IE I got my letter in Jan 2019 and a week later I had the ceremony and got citizenship. 

• Like 2

On 29/07/2019 at 14:20, Coupleinoz said:

Could anyone in Melbourne share timings from approval to ceremony? I'm in Darebin City Council which doesn't hold ceremonies (anyone in this suburb know where the Department of Home Affairs normally send people for ceremony who live in this council?). 

My current timeline:

- Applied: July 2018

- Test date received: April 2019

- Test taken: 25 July 2019

- Approved: 29 July 2019

My timeline:

Applied Feb 2019

Test date received 20 June 2019

Test taken 29 July 2019 (rescheduled from Oct 2019

Immigration website shows approved on 29 July 2019

I'm in Monash council. Anyone in this suburb who can tell me the wait time for the ceremony invitation?

• Congratulations 1

11 hours ago, Chris N Lora said:

To  be fair,  My Daughter got hers the same day from the Parramatta Office, and it was literally uploaded on the system before she left the office as she checked so on her phone.

My wife passed her test on the 4th of Dec 2018, she had a letter dated the 5th of Dec and the council contacted her with a letter dated the 5th of Dec also.

It is not really fair for you to call his comments misleading when all cases are based on individual merits.  IE I got my letter in Jan 2019 and a week later I had the ceremony and got citizenship. 

As rightly said, it depends upon case to case. 

Thanks for coming into my support. 

• Like 1

monthly groan from me in Brisbane  and shout out to all those waiting a long time..................................

we hit 19 months months with nothing other than 'received'  this weekend ......4/1/18 'received' status  for  Brisbane city - straight forward family of 4 application ......

i am keeping up the calls and emails to anyone who will isten   but as its  now '90% for 24 months to completion'  they have 5 months to complete us  still so must sit on my hands and waittttttttt

any other long waiters feel free to have a good moan   and all those who have sailed thro please nod politely and pass the wine  x

• Like 1
  • Sad 2