AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 10:18, coolmotu said:

My bubba is 3 months old, he got his citizenship as "citizenship by birth". As me and spouse both are PR waiting for citizenship test dates. Do we need to take for ceremony??

Edited by manav

Hi All, 

Myself and my partner were linked on our application, meaning we requested to attend the same ceremony. 

Timeline as follows:

ME: Applied: 18th May '17  |  Test email: 16th Nov '17  |  Test: 1st Dec '17 Sydney CBD  |  Approval: 4th Dec '17

PARTNER: Applied 18th May '17  |  Test email: 4th Jan '18  |  Test: 12th Jan '18 Sydney CBD  | Approval: 17th Jan '18

Ceremony invite (both of us): 23rd Feb '18

Ceremony date: 28th March '18 - Sydney Town Hall

I think we've been really lucky with our timeline considering all the mess, but hopefully this information gives people some hope. Slowly but surely. 

Edited by DownToTheWire
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DownToTheWire said:

Hi All, 

Myself and my partner were linked on our application, meaning we requested to attend the same ceremony. 

Timeline as follows:

ME: Applied: 18th May '17  |  Test email: 16th Nov '17  |  Test: 1st Dec '17 Sydney CBD  |  Approval: 4th Dec '17

PARTNER: Applied 18th May '17  |  Test email: 4th Jan '18  |  Test: 12th Jan '18 Sydney CBD  | Approval: 17th Jan '18

Ceremony invite (both of us): 23rd Feb '18

Ceremony date: 28th March '18 - Sydney Town Hall

I think we've been really lucky with our timeline considering all the mess, but hopefully this information gives people some hope. Slowly but surely. 

Things seems to be moving now...

We applied August 2017, test 20th dec...nothing since but hoping for approval soon.

Keeping fingers crossed for ceremony may-july time - Gold Coast City Council

6 minutes ago, wattsy1982 said:

Things seems to be moving now...

We applied August 2017, test 20th dec...nothing since but hoping for approval soon.

Keeping fingers crossed for ceremony may-july time - Gold Coast City Council

My wife applied 8th September 2017 should have been start of june but cause of them trying to change the rules put it off.

Should we be contacting them to get an update? We are in perth so maybe things are slower here.

Mine is going 5 months from application. I think I need to just park it for now and do not let myself stressed on the waiting time.

@Keep me in oz congrats on your test date, we should have listened to you before but got scared to apply last May.

That's life.. we just have to wait and hope that we get the test invite by April/May.

Edited by Zet01

Update from NSW:

My spouse had citizenship test yesterday.

For spouse’s online immi account, status is showing as Approved. No other correspondence, email or letter yet from Immigration.

While I still have not received test appointment date or any correspondence, other than Acknowledgment in June 2017.

We both have applied in June 2017 on the same day. Individual applications, linked together for citizenship ceremony.

Anyone in similar situation?

• Like 1

I'm shocked at what I'm reading here. I thought I'd be applying, sitting the test and having the ceremony all with a matter of months! It hardly took anytime at all for my Australian OH to get her British Citizenship sorted when we lived there! It would appear that in most cases you are looking at times around the 9 month mark. That's ridiculous. So from my eligibility date of 13/05/18 it means I'm not likely to sit the test until the end of the year and then a ceremony Feb/March 2019! I'm seriously thinking it's not worth it. Finding work in Brisbane has been extremely difficult. I may even head back to the UK and say goodbye to my life here and Australian partner! So disappointed how things have panned out.

Edited by Simonrbh

Hi, Guys.

I am back here because of the citizenship application again, this must be a pretty frustrating time for everyone here I assume...

but here we go:

Application date: 28 October 2017

Immi office: Melbourne

Got nothing from immi yet.

Can someone add this in the timesheet?

anyway, good luck everyone!!

Edited by whenwillthisend
  • Like 1

I was required to speak to immigration today ....I was advised the 13 months for 75%. The 15 months for 90% is only a guide .... some are being done faster, it is dependent on the background checks. If all documentation is given prompt and there is no extra information required, ie overseas police checks etc.  then they are being done on a case by case merit ... so some can be done long before others... and that all applicants need to be patient. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Chris N Lora said:

I was required to speak to immigration today ....I was advised the 13 months for 75%. The 15 months for 90% is only a guide .... some are being done faster, it is dependent on the background checks. If all documentation is given prompt and there is no extra information required, ie overseas police checks etc.  then they are being done on a case by case merit ... so some can be done long before others... and that all applicants need to be patient. 

I'm confused why they need to do all these background checks and overseas police checks when they did such checks when applicants originally applied for their visa. Surely it would be a  simple matter of checking on a database for most of the checks required. If I head back to the UK is there an option to apply in the UK to the Australian High Commission and have the ceremony in the UK? Looking at all my options before I make a decision what to do for the future.

5 minutes ago, Simonrbh said:

I'm confused why they need to do all these background checks and overseas police checks when they did such checks when applicants originally applied for their visa. Surely it would be a  simple matter of checking on a database for most of the checks required. If I head back to the UK is there an option to apply in the UK to the Australian High Commission and have the ceremony in the UK? Looking at all my options before I make a decision what to do for the future.

It is annoying that it takes so long - but remember, citizenship is intended for people who've made a decision to spend the rest of their life in Australia, so there really isn't any rush, is there?  In fact, I could be cynical and say the reason they're so slow is to discourage people who want to come to Australia, stay just long enough to get citizenship then hightail it back to their home country...

I know that's not what you're trying to do, though.  Right now you seem to be thinking that your choices are (a) stick it out where you are, which you hate, or (b) break up with your partner and head back to the UK.  Have you thought about moving somewhere else in Australia, long enough so you can get your citizenship?   It would mean living apart from your partner for a while - but if the alternative is to break up anyway, what have you got to lose?   Treat it like a WHV, live in backpackers' and be fancy free for a while - it would do you a lot of good after being stuck out in the country for so long.  Australians are NOT all alike, (I've been amazed how friendly people are in Melbourne compared to where I lived in Sydney, for instance), so you might enjoy it more than you think.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Simonrbh said:

I asked exactly the same thing, I am moving back to the UK ... he said it's not possible to do it in the UK it baffled me as I met all qualifying requirements when the application was lodged.

4 hours ago, Chris N Lora said:

I asked exactly the same thing, I am moving back to the UK ... he said it's not possible to do it in the UK it baffled me as I met all qualifying requirements when the application was lodged.

So you’re moving back to the UK and will forget progressing your citizenship application now? Is that a definite move back or just an option that is being researched?

Simon.

Can paper applications be linked/added to an online immi account?????

We applied by paper in August, received email notification, received test date via email, now waiting for approval and ceremony....I have created an account online and added my paper application ref number to it and it brings up details of myself and my 2 sons but its saying we need to upload ALL supporting paperwork etc......I was told that I don't need to and its asking that because it doesn't know I've sent them via post as they can't be linked.....but now after seeing the above post I'm wondering whether somethings gone wrong and I need to upload the docs...but surely I wouldnt have had a test if they didn't have all the supporting docs they needed?

Edited by wattsy1982

2 hours ago, catatemyfish said:

We received ours by email and when we linked up our application number (given in the email) to our Immi account online there was a copy of the same letter in our Immi inbox.

9 hours ago, whtzau said:

for paper application will DIBP send acknowledgement letter by post or by email ?

I received no acknowledgement by email from my paper based application. I received a letter by mail in October explaining the changes to the criteria for citizenship will come in to effect July 18. When I called immi they told me that that letter and the debiting of the application fee from my account was acknowledgment in itself. I applied in June 2017 by paper from Sydney. Still no word on the status after 9 months. British & been in Australia for 11 years. The last 3 on Spousal PR. Not a complicated application. Hoping for approval soon. 

12 minutes ago, User478 said:

Do i need to apply federal police clearance  and overseas police clearance before citizenship application ONLINE???? PLease help ..my citizenship  is due next month.. 

If you have lived more than 90 days in any other country after your visa grant, then YES you need police clearance from that country.