AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

Has anyone spoken to immigration and have they given a lead time for the test date? Or is it just keep waiting and it will come when it has to?? 

Applied end of December 2017, so just wanna get a feel of how long will I be waiting for the test date.. Although I'm in no rush, but just a rough estimate would be good :)

CITIZENSHIP ATTACHMENTS: Unlike my PR visa application, I cannot see anything when uploading attachments that states they have to be countersigned? Did everyone upload Passport etc just scanned without getting someone to certify that this is a true copy of the original?

7 hours ago, PommyJ said:

CITIZENSHIP ATTACHMENTS: Unlike my PR visa application, I cannot see anything when uploading attachments that states they have to be countersigned? Did everyone upload Passport etc just scanned without getting someone to certify that this is a true copy of the original?

Copies of documents don't need to be countersigned for citizenship applications because you'll be taking the originals with you for your citizenship interview/test so the department will see them and verify them for themselves.

29 minutes ago, Ken said:

Copies of documents don't need to be countersigned for citizenship applications because you'll be taking the originals with you for your citizenship interview/test so the department will see them and verify them for themselves.

Wish I had of known this, due to expired passports, we had to do a paper based application, I got all documents required signed and verified by a JP. Which is now irrelevant as they will verify them in person

8 hours ago, PommyJ said:

i uploaded without countersigning, just scanned the original and sent it... as u mentioned didnt mention anywhere to get it attested.

20 minutes ago, Chris N Lora said:

Wish I had of known this, due to expired passports, we had to do a paper based application, I got all documents required signed and verified by a JP. Which is now irrelevant as they will verify them in person

I didn't do a paper application so I don't know it's possible they do ask for copies to be signed and verified for that type of application -  but there's no reason why they should since as with the online applications they require to take all the originals with you when you go for the interview/test.

Edited by Ken

1 hour ago, rakesht said:

Hello feinds I dont have evidence of arrival becuase my old passport is lost. Do you think its going create problem in my citizenship application?
Thanks

No, immigration have them details on file, I do suggest if you have a new passport, you fill out a form 929 and forward it on to immi. 

Hi,

Not sure if this is exactly the right thread to ask this so apologies if not.

Im trying to roughly calculate my timeline for eligibility for Citizenship.

I just got my PR today (?) but this was always part of our long term plans.

1. Wife and I entered Australia on temporary visitor visas Feb 2015 and have been here ever since (except minimal travel)

2. Applied for 457 April 2015 for us both PLUS daughter, who was overseas studying. Bridging visas for all granted right away

3. All 457 visas fully granted April 2016

4. Daughter entered Australia for first time April 2017 (note her visa was granted same time as ours)

5. PR granted Feb 2018

I loosely understand the 4 years requirement which must include 1year on PR.

Our daughter is now 13.

Questions:

1. Does the 4 year timeline start from Feb 2015, which if taken 4 years on, allows us to apply for Citizenship Feb 2019 (which includes the 1 year PR)

2. If the above applies, given that our daughter will be 14 in Feb 2019, does that allow her to be included as our child?

3. Clearly we all want to apply together, therefore has delaying our daughters arrival shifted her eligibility to April 2021 (4 years after her arrival): by which time she will be 16 and therefore be required to take the citizenship test

None of the above is a major issue for us. We were just wondering when we may all be able to think about applying ?

Thanks

1 hour ago, imthedave said:

Hi,

Not sure if this is exactly the right thread to ask this so apologies if not.

Im trying to roughly calculate my timeline for eligibility for Citizenship.

I just got my PR today (?) but this was always part of our long term plans.

1. Wife and I entered Australia on temporary visitor visas Feb 2015 and have been here ever since (except minimal travel)

2. Applied for 457 April 2015 for us both PLUS daughter, who was overseas studying. Bridging visas for all granted right away

3. All 457 visas fully granted April 2016

4. Daughter entered Australia for first time April 2017 (note her visa was granted same time as ours)

5. PR granted Feb 2018

I loosely understand the 4 years requirement which must include 1year on PR.

Our daughter is now 13.

Questions:

1. Does the 4 year timeline start from Feb 2015, which if taken 4 years on, allows us to apply for Citizenship Feb 2019 (which includes the 1 year PR)

2. If the above applies, given that our daughter will be 14 in Feb 2019, does that allow her to be included as our child?

3. Clearly we all want to apply together, therefore has delaying our daughters arrival shifted her eligibility to April 2021 (4 years after her arrival): by which time she will be 16 and therefore be required to take the citizenship test

None of the above is a major issue for us. We were just wondering when we may all be able to think about applying ?

Thanks

Not really sure about my answer, but as far as I know, your daughter should stay here for 4 years, with less than 12 months overseas.

Edited by Zet01

Not really sure about my answer, but as far as I know, your daughter should stay here for 4 years, with less than 12 months overseas.

Thanks for the answer but I think I’ve managed to clarify with immigration.

As she’s under 16, she is not governed by the overall residency timeline requirements and must ‘just’ be a permanent resident.

If she was over 16 at the point we could apply then she would have to do the 4 years but since our 4 years are up in any of the original scenarios before she turns 16, she can be included directly on ours [emoji16]

3 hours ago, imthedave said:

current citizenship act is 4 year lawful residence with any visa including 1 yr PR visa

government is planning to get new citizenship act passed parliament , proposed new citizenship law is 4 year PR and IELTS 5/5/5/5

3 hours ago, imthedave said:

As she’s under 16, she is not governed by the overall residency timeline requirements and must ‘just’ be a permanent resident.

If she was over 16 at the point we could apply then she would have to do the 4 years but since our 4 years are up in any of the original scenarios before she turns 16, she can be included directly on ours emoji16.png

On 2/12/2018 at 17:06, imthedave said:

If she was over 16 at the point we could apply then she would have to do the 4 years but since our 4 years are up in any of the original scenarios before she turns 16, she can be included directly on ours emoji16.png

Kinda of similar to ourselves. We activated our PR visas in 2011 but moved out for good in 2013 when my daughter was 13. The 4 years started from the day we arrived in 2013. We applied for citizenship in April 2017 and did our tests in Nov/Dec 2017. We all had to do separate applications as she was 16 at the time of application. By the time of the tests she was 17 but currently anyone aged 16-17 doesn’t sit the computer test but she did have to engage in a semi-formal discussion / Q&A on her rights and privileges on becoming an Australian citizen which lasted about 5 minutes.