AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

Hi, I just have a question. I'm eligible for applying as a citizen, and I intend to lodge my application by February 4,2018. My permanent resident visa expires on 25th November 2018. But with the current pace of approvals it seems that visa would run out before my citizenship is conferred. Does that mean I may have to exit OZ after  25th November until my citizenship is approved? 

Thanks for anyone who may be able to share an opinion or advice.

Cheers,

DSM

25 minutes ago, manilaoz said:

Hi, I just have a question. I'm eligible for applying as a citizen, and I intend to lodge my application by February 4,2018. My permanent resident visa expires on 25th November 2018. But with the current pace of approvals it seems that visa would run out before my citizenship is conferred. Does that mean I may have to exit OZ after  25th November until my citizenship is approved? 

Thanks for anyone who may be able to share an opinion or advice.

Cheers,

DSM

You visa does not expire. You can live there permanently on it. However the travel rights on the visa expire after 5 years - that is what will expire on November 25th. Therefore if your citizenship is not gramted by then,. and you want to travel, you need to get a RRV which will allow you to return to oz. If you do not wish to travel you need to do nothing, just wait onshore for the citizenship to be granted. 

253 new citizens at the Canberra ceremony today,( 4 of which were my family). Congrats to all and Good luck to all those waiting.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this forum it helped a lot whilst waiting for the government to get its act together.

If the waiting period is 14 months for citizenship than perhaps patients should be shown. You can not fight with rules and regulations. There might be certain checks and balances. On every case might be different, in some people cases may take less time and in some cases more time. I think once the department acknowledged the receipt of your documents than wait till the time your waiting period is completed. You will receive the reply automatically in this period, so don’t get frustrated, relax and enjoy your life.

Guest Guest226914

Does anyone know what the rules are regarding travelling whilst waiting for a ceremony? I’ve had my application approved but I’m still waiting for a ceremony. I want to book a trip for July but knowing my luck I will book it and then my ceremony will end up being when I’m away. Can you travel whilst waiting? Can ceremonies be rescheduled?

10 hours ago, wattsy1982 said:

If PR expires and we travel, can we not re-enter oz on a 3 month holiday visa...providing that our ceremony is within the 3 month time frame of re-entering?

Whatever you do don't do that. Hopefully Immi would spot your mistake and not issue the tourist visa, but if they did issue it the tourist visa would cancel your PR (as it's the most recent visa issued that counts). You would no longer have PR and would no longer be entitled to citizenship. RRVs are easy and quick to obtain so do it properly.

I've not applied for one, nor do we have any plans to travel yet but the crazy wait times for citizenship seems endless and if we want a holiday we will go and not put our life on hold while citizenship sorts itself out. This said....Im reluctant to go on holiday and have to pay even more for a RRV's x 4 when we've already paid for citizenship and will also pay for 4 Aus passports....all because the processing times have just gone crazy