18 year old returning without parents

Mavislove

My 18 year old son has chosen to return to England after 10 years here in Qld. 

Despite our sadness we want him to be happy and he will have great support back at home. We are thinking if it as a gap year to cope!

I am unsure if he will be eligible for financial assistance. He has aspergers, is high functioning but has not been employed in QLD since leaving school last year. He would love a job so no unhelpful comments please.

Any advice  from parents who have experienced similar situations?

Cheers

Lou

Yes I think that may be the case. We will make sure we support him in any way we can and wouldn't leave the responsibility to other family members.

We have looked for a traineeship here via HELP and wondered whether he would be able to access traineeship there? They were called YTS in my day...

He isn't earning or claiming here and he started TAFE but we can already see he is struggling with adult education and aspergers.

54 minutes ago, ali said:

Again, i'm not sure what he can access right away due to the residency rules.  I remember the YTS - hope they've improved since we were younger.

The YTS always seemed to have a bad reputation and yet I have friends in senior management positions in big corporate conpanies who started there 30 odd years ago aged 16 on a YTS, for many it was an excellent scheme. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

The YTS always seemed to have a bad reputation and yet I have friends in senior management positions in big corporate conpanies who started there 30 odd years ago aged 16 on a YTS, for many it was an excellent scheme. 

In the beginning it was a truly awesome opportunity for young people, I started as an admin assistant back in day, the skills I learned and on the job training, when I finally left to migrate I was a senior manager with a compliment of 147 staff under my management, I learned so much ‘on the job’, I don’t think there was anything more I could have learned in a university environment but alas on arrival in OZ the elusive degree meant more than 20 years plus on the job experience! My best friend went the same route into a massive supermarket in the UK, YTS entry and he now sits on the board of directors, and NO, he doesn’t have a degree....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We havea 17 year old admin apprentice which seems to be the YTS replacement. She is with us for a year, has a tutor that comes in, work to complete whilst she is with us and has another one of our team as her mentor with regular supervision. At the end of the year if there is a vacancy she can stay if both parties are happy. 

Seems to be working ok. Not sure how you access the courses though, still finding my way around the UK systems!

• Thanks 1

3/4 of my children went to the UK for a year or so late teens/early 20s - it almost seems like a rite of passage for us.  They all returned, some quicker than others.  There seems to be quite a lot of work there even now and hopefully your son will get something. Come what may it will broaden his horizons and I am willing to bet he will return sooner or later!!

• Thanks 1