Hard to get a job in Cairns

Smoke

Hi guys,

My partner (Aussie) and me (Dutchie) moved to Cairns almost a year ago on a 309, since then i've been applying for heaps of jobs, and went in to places to drop of my resume. I made it a few times to the last round but no luck thus far. (3 times to last 2 and once to last 3) so I am getting close but frustratingly enough not close enough. I am a professional with years of team leading experience in supply chain. There are virtually no supply chain jobs in cairns because it's the end of the line, which makes it a whole lot harder.  My partner does have a permanent job here in Cairns. 

Problem is that there are not many jobs here in Cairns, let alone professional jobs. If I make it to the last few they choose for a local with local experience, which seems to be more important here than extensive international (EU) experience. They rather choose some local worker with 75% of my skills and resume over me because i'm on a 309 and non permanent resident (yet) . Many many entry shitkicker jobs here, but very hard to land due to competition from desperate locals applying under their skillset, so many people have the same problem as me. I asked how many applicants I was up against and i was always in the 50-200 range. 

I apply for many entry jobs, but never hear something back and if i do get a phone interview I notice they always mention ' we are looking for someone long term' , I always say I am committed long term but they don't buy it because of my resume. So the whole situation is sh*t.  I might be able to go to Melbourne soon if nothing serious comes up, with my partner and me living apart, which we absolutely don't want to do anymore. For comparison: I applied for a job matching my resume and skills in Melbourne and secured a job interview right away. 😞

People have had similar experiences? Any tips or tricks? Please don't hesitate to reply. Thank you! 

Cheers from a desperate Dutchie

Unfortunately, if you want a senior job in Australia, it's tough to find them anywhere outside the major cities (and Cairns is definitely not a major city).

I wonder whether it would be much different in the UK, though?  Would you expect to find a job at your level in a small town?   

I would think twice about Melbourne because of the cost of housing.  If you've chosen Cairns because you like the lifestyle/weather, then have you tried Brisbane?

Yes I know it's hard outside the major cities, but this hard is something I didn't expect. And I am not used to this to be honest. In The Netherlands we always lived in a small town but because Amsterdam was relatively close finding a professional job wasn't that hard. Always found a job within 2 weeks over there. I lived and worked in Basingstoke UK also for a few years so it's possible. 

Cost of housing isn't much of an issue for us when we both have our careers. Not even in Melbourne. Brisbane we don't like as a city, we do like Gold Coast but then we probably have the same issues and a very big commute. I didn't move up here for the weather and lifestyle, we moved up here because my partner is born and bred in Cairns, but still willing to move to somewhat cooler climate. Because I absolutely hate the tropics and don't care much about the lifestyle to be honest. Way too hot and humid for my liking.

Edited by Smoke

The Gold Coast has a decent population ~600k vs Cairns ~150k.  You also have the fallback of commuting to Brisbane, if you're struggling in the short term.  I'd like to think you'd have a better chance, but I'm sure someone more informed will be able to let you know what the job situation is like down there. 

Good luck!

Regards

BFB

1 minute ago, Nemesis said:

If you move to Melbourne and your partner stays in Cairns, be very careful aboput evidence etc for your 100 (PR) visa. Immigration do not like people living apart, even for work reasons. 

I thought this would be an issue, and now I know for sure, so thank you for the heads up. Another reason why it's a bit more complicated. 

14 minutes ago, bigfishybob said:

The Gold Coast has a decent population ~600k vs Cairns ~150k.  You also have the fallback of commuting to Brisbane, if you're struggling in the short term.  I'd like to think you'd have a better chance, but I'm sure someone more informed will be able to let you know what the job situation is like down there. 

Good luck!

Regards

BFB

A bloke I know from Cairns recently moved  to GC and he said there is much more work in our profession than Cairns, so might be something to seriously consider, however it's a risk because main focus is securing my 100 visa. It looks like I have to sit this one out, pray I get a job soon and apply for my 100 in september. After I secured that we can go wherever we want. †akes a lot of patience, don't know if i have that 😞

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I’m sure I’ve seen agents here advise to the contrary

Thats as may be but as it was a major factor in my husband's visa being rejected, I feel its only fair to mention it. 

Edited by Nemesis

On 25/03/2019 at 15:24, Smoke said:

Problem is that there are not many jobs here in Cairns, let alone professional jobs. If I make it to the last few they choose for a local with local experience, which seems to be more important here than extensive international (EU) experience. They rather choose some local worker with 75% of my skills and resume over me because i'm on a 309 and non permanent resident (yet) . Many many entry shitkicker jobs here, but very hard to land due to competition from desperate locals applying under their skillset, so many people have the same problem as me. I asked how many applicants I was up against and i was always in the 50-200 range. 

Why shouldnt they chose a local Australian if they can do the job, how do you know that they only have 75% of your skills?  Maybe the skills required here are different from the EU.  If the locals are desperate for the "shitkicker jobs" as you put it, its is only right that they get them first.  

Edited by AJ

On 26/03/2019 at 08:55, Marisawright said:

I’m sure I’ve seen agents here advise to the contrary

So you are saying it doesn't matter? I'm a bit confused now.

On 26/03/2019 at 23:10, Nemesis said:

Thats as may be but as it was a major factor in my husband's visa being rejected, I feel its only fair to mention it. 

Was this the only reason your husband's visa got rejected? I don't know what to do to be honest, I don't want to risk it thats for sure.

I don't know if not working affects the PR application, i'm a bit unsure about this and yes it does cost me a lot of stress. 

Edited by Smoke

On 27/03/2019 at 00:04, AJ said:

Why shouldnt they chose a local Australian if they can do the job, how do you know that they only have 75% of your skills?  Maybe the skills required here are different from the EU.  If the locals are desperate for the "shitkicker jobs" as you put it, its is only right that they get them first.  

Yes you are right and that is what happens, they do choose Australians and that is their right. The 75% part was literally told me by an employer, another mentioned to me that they can choose from some many applicants that it's hard for anyone to land a job basically.  Don't forget that i'm a local too, maybe not born and bred but I am member of the community and yes I do apply for as many "shitkicker jobs"  I come across. No luck thusfar tho.