Transferring to a SA driving licence. I have a couple of questions.

JetBlast

Hello,

When I move to South Australia in a few months I will be looking at getting an SA driving licence. I am on a 489 visa, I do believe I can use my British licence whilst on this visa, however I think it will be better to get an SA licence. It can be used as proof of identity and may result in cheaper insurance and any car rentals etc.

Looking at the form here, it talks about the overseas licence being surrendered (but an exemption may apply). Will they actually take my British licence of me? I rather they didn't!

Secondly, I might struggle with the evidence of identity requirement found here. I don't think I have anything listed under the primary documents. There is "current Australian visa" however I don't a physical visa to present. I do have a grant letter, but the passport number is different as I renewed it, I still have the original though. Would this be ok? I am no different to any other new immigrant. The vast majority won't have the other documents and have an electronic visa like I do.

Many Thanks for your time.

7 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Hello,

When I move to South Australia in a few months I will be looking at getting an SA driving licence. I am on a 489 visa, I do believe I can use my British licence whilst on this visa, however I think it will be better to get an SA licence. It can be used as proof of identity and may result in cheaper insurance and any car rentals etc.

Looking at the form here, it talks about the overseas licence being surrendered (but an exemption may apply). Will they actually take my British licence of me? I rather they didn't!

Secondly, I might struggle with the evidence of identity requirement found here. I don't think I have anything listed under the primary documents. There is "current Australian visa" however I don't a physical visa to present. I do have a grant letter, but the passport number is different as I renewed it, I still have the original though. Would this be ok? I am no different to any other new immigrant. The vast majority won't have the other documents and have an electronic visa like I do.

Hey JetBlast,

you have 3 months in Australia to drive on your U.K license (rules by SA government). Near the end of the 3 months you should have the 3 pieces of ID. You can take your U.K passport and visa info to the office they should be able to look you up on VEVO, your credit or debit card from a bank with your name printed on it and signature finally a bank account statement. 

I'm sure by 3 months you will have rented a place and have bills, so you should have more than enough documentation.

😉

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Hello,

Hey, I have just been down to dept of transport and the lady advised me that there was no need for me to get obtain a full Aussie DL at the moment whilst on my 489 visa. She took details, passport, visa grant number, address and a photograph and then provided my wife and I with FP numbers which we can now use to buy and register cars. She printed me off a copy of the details on an A4 sheet and wrote the FP number on a small sticker which I've stuck on the back of my uk licence. This process was free and took around 5 mins to complete. As as I was there with my wife and 2 bored and restless kids this is the option we went with at the time. This is not to say we couldn't have obtained full Aus licences if we had wanted too. 

Regarding ID, I required my passport to open a bank account, nothing else. The assistant then printed off my bank account details with my address on it which wad useful for ID purposes, i.e enrolling my son at school. They required, passport, proof of address in local area and copy of visa details.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

I will try and get a full licence anyway. When I was there on my working holiday visa many places didn't accept my UK licence as proof as ID. They will take my passport but I don't want to keep carrying that around. I would rather they have a small card in my wallet.

Thanks again.

On 26/03/2019 at 18:25, JetBlast said:

Thanks.

I will try and get a full licence anyway. When I was there on my working holiday visa many places didn't accept my UK licence as proof as ID. They will take my passport but I don't want to keep carrying that around. I would rather they have a small card in my wallet.

Thanks again.

Getting a full license is pretty simple. I was able to swap out my US license for a full SA license pretty easily when I came here. The things you need are , address proof, ID proof (Which is you PP), your UK or US license and a filled out Application form. It is pretty simple and takes probably an hour. The license will be sent in a mail though.