Visitor Visa (Validity Period from Approval)

Deano123

Evening all,

Really simple question, that I can't seem to find an answer to! 

I'm looking to apply for a Visitor Visa (Subclass 600) (Offshore) but can't seem to find out the timeframe in which I have to use the Visa.

Currently the immi website indicates the Processing Times are:

75% of applications: 19 days
90% of applications: 27 days

So say for example the Visa is approved / granted on Day 28. When do I need to arrive in Australia? Does the 3 / 6 / 12 month stay length begin when I arrive in Australia or the day when the Visa is approved / granted?

Thanks in advance!

It will depend what visa conditions they decide to apply. This is based on your previous visits/visa history and what your reason for visit is. 

There are three separate  elements to consider

The length of the visas validity, this can be 1 to 5 years, the visa is valid from the date of issue. So if you get it on the 1st Jan and it is valid for one year it will expire on the 31st December.  Usually it states valid for entry  

Then there is the length of stay permitted. That is from the time you set foot on Australian soil. If it is 3 months then you must leave before that time is up. Usually the visa is worded as valid for entry up until a certain date. If you enter before that date you may stay for the prescribed time, even though the visa has expired. If it states valid for stays with a certain  period, then it means just that and you must leave Australia before the visa expires regardless.

The other variable is whether they grant multiple stays, which means you can make several visits on the same visa. This is more usual than only allowing a single entry. 

There may also be other conditions attached like not allowing you to apply for another visa onshore, or only being able to stay 12 months max in any 18 month period. 

So so no not straight forward. What you must do is read the information attached to the visa grant carefully and ensure you fully understand all the conditions. 

So so no not straight forward. What you must do is read the information attached to the visa grant carefully and ensure you fully understand all the conditions. 

Many people do not read their visa grant letters or (forget, ignore, misunderstand) what they have read and find themselves in trouble.