Travel insurance - back to UK

Flappers263

Hi all, just wondering if travel insurance is necessary for a 3 week trip back to the UK? We (family of 4) have been in Sydney 4 years now (currently in process of applying for PR in case it makes a difference), heading back in a. couple of weeks for 3 weeks - do we require travel insurance and either way where is the best place to purchase it from here in Australia?

Thanks in advance

I used Woolworths for my travel insurance. Covered my luggage, flight cancellation etc, but more importantly if I slipped and broke my leg in transit or during transfer in Dubai or Singapore where I would have to pay for healthcare. Also covered my excess on a hire car in the uk. Lots of options out there, I used another company prior to Woolies but can’t remember their name. I wouldn’t travel without it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flappers263 said:

Hi all, just wondering if travel insurance is necessary for a 3 week trip back to the UK? We (family of 4) have been in Sydney 4 years now (currently in process of applying for PR in case it makes a difference), heading back in a. couple of weeks for 3 weeks - do we require travel insurance and either way where is the best place to purchase it from here in Australia?

If you were in the UK and going for a holiday in Tenerife, would you get holiday insurance? It's exactly the same.  

If you were going to Tenerife, you wouldn't be trying to buy an insurance policy in Tenerife, you'd be buying one where you live.  It's exactly the same.

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you were in the UK and going for a holiday in Tenerife, would you get holiday insurance? It's exactly the same.  

If you were going to Tenerife, you wouldn't be trying to buy an insurance policy in Tenerife, you'd be buying one where you live.  It's exactly the same.

I get that, in fairness I suppose I was asking more for recommendations on where to get best value on travel insurance and could've phrased it better....

• Like 1

I've used various places for travel insurance for trips back to the UK but never had to claim so can't really comment on that side of things.  I usually use a comparison site or two to compare policies as I want to ensure the cancellation cover actually covers the cost of the flights, and then the other features may be more or less important to me.  Place I have insured with previously include Online Travel Insurance (yes that is the name of the place) and Travel Insuranz.  I think we may have used 1 Cover at some point as well.  All would have been selected because they gave me the cover I wanted for the best price.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NicF said:

I've used various places for travel insurance for trips back to the UK but never had to claim so can't really comment on that side of things.  I usually use a comparison site or two to compare policies as I want to ensure the cancellation cover actually covers the cost of the flights, and then the other features may be more or less important to me.  Place I have insured with previously include Online Travel Insurance (yes that is the name of the place) and Travel Insuranz.  I think we may have used 1 Cover at some point as well.  All would have been selected because they gave me the cover I wanted for the best price.

Thanks.