Can i take an apprenticeship in australia then get a skilled visa?

Is it possible to do an apprenticeship on a student visa and then move here on a skills visa? I've read online that foreigners can do a 2 year trade course here but I'm not sure if that counts towards the experience you need to get the skilled visa. 

I'm british, 28, male. Currently on a WHV. 

I have 10 years of experience in plastic/GRP fabrication and pipe fitting. I dont have qualifications. Im skilled and learn manual jobs quickly. 

Ive seen that there are some courses that allow you to become qualified in a trade in 2 years. Im bored of fabrication but id like to become a plumber as my skills are easily transferable and its very similar to my last job. It also pays better. 

I apreciate any help or advice you can give me. Its hard to know how to go about it unless I pay somebody a lot of money. 

Thanks

Yes and no...

Note: I don't know about apprenticeship... if it's done under an academic program that qualifies for a student visa, then I would think no problem. Otherwise you may have spend some of you post-study work visa on it.

Yes: you would be very employable as an AU educated tradesman and have no problem finding work except...

No: You won't have enough points to get permanent residency under the current 189 situation (by that, I mean you won't get invited, you need 70-75 points). So you can get your qualification, get a post study work visa for 2-3 years (assuming your qualification is on the list), then go back from whence you came while the least employable professionals take all of the limited migration spots. Your only hope is state nomination, which you'll need to do your research on to see who is likely to be inviting tradesmen of your classification at the time of your graduation.

There is some political backpedaling in the wake of recent events, with everyone and their mother trying to distance themselves from white nationalism (IMHO a sentiment largely responsible for the current mismanagement of migration), but it's hard to say if it will have a meaningful impact.

19 hours ago, Didgerydan said:

Is it possible to do an apprenticeship on a student visa and then move here on a skills visa? I've read online that foreigners can do a 2 year trade course here but I'm not sure if that counts towards the experience you need to get the skilled visa. 

I'm british, 28, male. Currently on a WHV. 

I have 10 years of experience in plastic/GRP fabrication and pipe fitting. I dont have qualifications. Im skilled and learn manual jobs quickly. 

Ive seen that there are some courses that allow you to become qualified in a trade in 2 years. Im bored of fabrication but id like to become a plumber as my skills are easily transferable and its very similar to my last job. It also pays better. 

I apreciate any help or advice you can give me. Its hard to know how to go about it unless I pay somebody a lot of money. 

Thanks

Hey mate, if your occupation is on the following link, then you don't need to have a qualification. Vetassess has a process called RPL or Pathway 1, you submit all your work documents from the UK. They do the doc check in stage 1 if successful they will ask you to come for a technical interview. If successful, you will get qualification and skill assessment which is must have document for Skilled visas. I am chef by profession and worked in the UK and successfully went through same process.(I didn't have any qualification in cooking just like yourself)

https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-assessment-for-migration/trade-occupations/guides-and-fact-sheets

Edited by garrychandi