Australia after 8 years - the good, bad & the ugly!

Parentwhogotin

4 hours ago, Bulya said:

I’m loving the buses.  Free, no parking hassles, air-conditioned, spotlessly clean, and amazingly punctual. Still the ACT does have the countries best bus service, so it might not be the same elsewhere

Well if the ACT's is officially the best it must be bloody good Perths bus service (and train for that matter) is fantastic then again I'm comparing it to the shoddy mess of public transport system in the UK which for want of a better word is pretty crap all round!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I hope they never, ever get all those 'convenience 'foods here.  Horrid and horrifying to me. I am old school- I like fresh cooked stuff.

Have to agree wife and I both work full time, have 3 (always) hungry kids and manage to cook a a decent meal each evening from fresh produce never ever understood the need for salt ridden ready meals. They have been in the UK for years now and are unfortunately catching on here not to bad in Perth but from what I'm reading on this thread seems to be just as bad as the UK in Melbs and Sydney. 

18 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Even better when work are paying for everything. Used to go to a restaurant in Sydney, meat and wine co, near the imax at Darling Harbour. One of the best steaks I've had with a blue cheese and vodka sauce. Also had starters and desert and never bothered about how much as work were paying.

Went to Sydney on holiday with my wife and son and said how good it was. We had a walk down and for the first time I looked at the prices before I went in. We ended up going for pub grub and happy hour beers.😊

Hmm yes, one of my favourite restaurants is the Oyster Bar on Circular Quay ... unfortunately I can’t afford to eat there 😊

14 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Well if the ACT's is officially the best it must be bloody good Perths bus service (and train for that matter) is fantastic then again I'm comparing it to the shoddy mess of public transport system in the UK which for want of a better word is pretty crap all round!! 

I think it's brilliant but I live in a suburb where we have a bus stop in 2 mins walk and a train station 10 mins away by bus. Quicker, cheaper and less stressful to go by bus and train to work and back, in West Leederville, than by car. 

There's a lot of suburbs though that wouldn't be that well served.

Where we lived in the UK was fine too till they privatised the busses. The council bus could be relied upon to turn up when the timetable said. As soon as it was privatised the smaller private busses would turn up 2 minutes before the council bus, take all the customers, no-one on the double decker. 3 months later the council bus service was losing so much money they cut it back from one every 15min to one every half hour. So the private operators did exactly the same and timed it to turn up just before the council one still. 

Another great example of privatisation stuffing things up.

• Like 2

Billion dollar plus light rail (tram) opens next month.  Should be good except for people straddling the tracks at intersections, and blindly walking into intersections against the lights whilst wearing headphones.  Yes one did during testing, and they’re still in hospital

On 25/03/2019 at 16:04, Sandgroper said:

I've been told the beef is of a better quality as the majority of Australian cattle is grass fed as opposed to grain fed in the UK.

I think the majority have had trouble for years just finding grass................thank heavens for the recent rains

• Like 3

Get used to the ready meal market getting bigger in Aus, I make the machines that they use to produce the stuff in the UK and we are getting some big orders from Aus.

Never touch them myself as they are full of crap haha, doesn't take long to cook a bit of fish or chicken and spuds and veg.

• Like 3

On 30/03/2019 at 02:42, Bulya said:

Ended up with 45mm.  Sure did pour last night 

That wasn't the weather I ordered for my holiday! Should have brought more jumpers. Didn't much appreciate being woken up at some ungodly o'clock with one of the brightest lightning flashes and loudest Thunderclaps either shortly after some dammed possum landed on the tin roof and skittered down the slope. It'd better warm up or I will go home for some nicer weather lol

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

That wasn't the weather I ordered for my holiday! Should have brought more jumpers. Didn't much appreciate being woken up at some ungodly o'clock with one of the brightest lightning flashes and loudest Thunderclaps either shortly after some dammed possum landed on the tin roof and skittered down the slope. It'd better warm up or I will go home for some nicer weather lol

Sure needed the rain, but snow in March is a little unusual 

4 hours ago, Quoll said:

We had that weather you're having a week or so ago.  Friday was a dreich, dreary day with constant drizzle but today (and yesterday) have been lovely.  A mellow autumn feel about it.  Cloudless sky and no wind.

• Like 1

25,000 were expected for the AFLW Grand Final in Adelaide.  53,034 turned up, and they’re struggling a tad, as they didn’t expect so many.  AFLW has surprised everybody 

Edited by Bulya
Incorrect figures

On 25/03/2019 at 12:19, Sandgroper said:

Have to agree wife and I both work full time, have 3 (always) hungry kids and manage to cook a a decent meal each evening from fresh produce never ever understood the need for salt ridden ready meals. They have been in the UK for years now and are unfortunately catching on here not to bad in Perth but from what I'm reading on this thread seems to be just as bad as the UK in Melbs and Sydney. 

It would be faster to cook a meal than microwave five ready meals. 

On 25/03/2019 at 05:36, Sandgroper said:

Great post all rings true, have to disagree about the meat though I find it far superior here (WA) to the UK.

One thing you forgot to mention is the average Australians inability to return a shopping trolley to it's rightful place even if it is just 10 metres away, I really don't get this and it annoys the hell out of me seeing them left everywhere!

As already mentioned get your chocolate from Aldi.

I remember having a conversation with the local Coles manager about how they put the parent child parking on a slope on a hill, and had no brakes on the trolley. I even demonstrated the problem. He suggested I put a half brick in the car. He just looked lost when I told him UK trolleys had brakes. I guess you can't tell customers to f off back to where you came from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2