GCSEs or WACE?

Amber2106

I would speak to the proposed school, not such if you can get credited learning.  But to get WACE you need to have achieved a minimum of 20 units with at least 10 of those units being in year 12.  Your child would also do the OLNA test for English literacy (required to receive WACE as they would have missed year 9 NAPLAN).

If you arrive mid way through term 3 then your child will have little time to repeat the necessary requirements with term ending in September and term 4 not starting again until October 14th.  As the school year ends on 19th December that's only a matter of weeks.  Have you considered enrolling your child in year 10 so that they can do the full two years and have an opportunity to choose subjects they might like.  If they want to go to Uni, getting the ATAR score will be important (is accumulated over the two years study).  My son had a friend in his class who had re-joined and gone back a year.

Have you thought about leaving the child in UK to finish A levels? Either that or put them into year 10 if you arrive in term 3 and let them do the full 2 year WACE course. Personally I'd do the former, it keeps all their options open for further education in either country just in case.

At the moment he is supposed to be coming with us but we’ve had his options evening this week at his currebtvuk school and it’s made me think, he does have the option of staying in the uk with his dad to finish his education but my concern is that he’ll be 4 years delayed in making Australia his permanent home and would this affect anything? He will validate his visa either way

5 hours ago, Amber2106 said:

At the moment he is supposed to be coming with us but we’ve had his options evening this week at his currebtvuk school and it’s made me think, he does have the option of staying in the uk with his dad to finish his education but my concern is that he’ll be 4 years delayed in making Australia his permanent home and would this affect anything? He will validate his visa either way

He wouldn't be able to apply for citizenship when the rest of you do.

When my husband started a job overseas we had no choice but to leave our 3 in UK. Our youngest a daughter was nearly 14 and there was no schooling option for her. so she went to boarding school. The 2 oldest were at university. 

From my experience I would never leave a child behind in another country unless there was absolutely no other choice, we missed so much precious time with them.  As I mentioned I don’t know the Australian system, but surely lots of children have been able to slot in and cope.

As ex service and an expat we have seen children adjust to all sorts of different schooling and thrive.

If your son does stay in UK for GCSEs, then perhaps A levels, then also decides to go to University in UK? then at some stage meets someone, plus has many friends, there is a strong possibility of never moving to Australia. I saw that he can stay with his father, which is great,  but as I mentioned you might well find if he stays behind now you will have to accept that he might not join you in Australia.

Not an easy situation, I wish you all the best.