Can we still apply - 187

Philippa Thackeray

Hello I'm trying to figure out if it's worth applying for regional sponsor migration 187. My husband has all the necessary requirements for it and his job is on the list. My only concern is that in 2015 I think I had my working holiday Visa cancelled. I say think as this is what they told me and I had to fly straight back to the UK, however I was never given anything confirming this and had my flights paid for me. It was all a bit strange tbh. I had to come back to the UK towards the end of my second year and when I returned with only 3 weeks remaining and no outward flight booked I got sent back. Anyway that's not the point here, the question is will my husband still be able to add me and our 2 children to his 187 application or is there no point? Also is there anywhere I can check if my Visa was cancelled officially? Thanks 

It does sound like you were deported and you would need to declare this on any application.  If you had your flights paid for you, then you may also have a debt to the Australian government to repay the flights.  Even if you were deported, which often results in a ban from Australia for 3 years, this doesn't usually affect applications for a permanent visa such as the 187.

I think the bigger question may be whether your husband also has an employer willing and able to sponsor him for a 187?

1 hour ago, Philippa Thackeray said:

So how do I go about finding out if I owe money and what is on my record? No my husband doesn't have a job offer right now, we wanted to figure all this out before we actively start looking. Dont want waste time and money if my situation will effect it. 

I second VeryStormy - a migration agent will cost you some money, but they will know who to contact, whereas you're likely to hit brick walls.

Having said that, I think you're wasting your time trying to get a 187 visa because these days, you'd struggle to find an employer willing to take your husband on.  Not many employers will wait a year or more for an employee - they'll settle for a less-qualified local person.      They'd have to be really desperate. 

Ah ok thanks everyone. We are planning on using an agent after everything last time, we figured it would be the safest idea. Just want to gather some info before we start the process. His job is also on the medium term temporary shortage 482. Would you recommend going for this first and trying for 187 once we are there. Or is there another track to residency ofter 482?