You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Ema

Moved back to the UK and now depressed

Thank you. I’m sure I’ll get there. In Australia I had a full life with a job and lots of friends. Here I have no job and few friends so it’s very different at the moment. I know that’ll all come with time and I know I have to be proactive in building a life again. It’s just dealing with the present is harder than what I imagined it would be. I keep looking back at how good I had it in Melbs and then find it hard to believe that a future here would be half as good which sends me spiralling into depression. My mind is the enemy right now and I need to figure out a way to attach good thoughts and feelings to my new home. Like I keep saying time will help I’m sure.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ema said:

I envy people who think Liverpool is the best city in the world. That’s what I used to think and I was quite happy. I left because I was curious about the world but I didn’t expect to fall in love with another place so much. I’m trying to explore, find places I’ll enjoy and meet new people through netball and Mother’s groups but (obviously) it’s going to take time. I just miss Melbourne so much. My heart feels like it’s torn in two. It’s pretty crap to say the least and I’m fed up of feeling down about it. I’ve stopped talking about it to family and friends to try and focus on the positive things and to try not bore people to death with my moaning. I’m going to give it a couple of years. If I still feel like this in 2 years I may have to think about going back although I honestly don’t want to. Time will tell I guess.

One of the challenges of your situation is that probably nobody in Melbourne will be able to understand what it's like for you in the UK and nobody in the UK will be able to understand your sadness after returning. It leaves you in the difficult position of having what sounds like lots of close friends across the globe but nobody that can really understand how you're feeling.

That can be a very lonely feeling when you have so much swirling around your head, but it's absolutely not your fault and nothing you have done wrong. I hope that doesn't sound patronising it's just that I've wrestled with my own mind in the past and it took me a lot longer to recognise it for what it was and accept support to move past it.

Don't be scared to go to your GP or self refer to local supports even just to find a completely safe, unbiased and impartial space to explore those feelings and have a chat. It's ok not to be ok, and it can be for no obvious or logical reason at all never mind the culture shock of moving across the world.

• Like 3

:evilface_frowning_s

On 19/03/2019 at 03:13, can1983 said:

Of course it would be hard to leave a world city for the north of England. It would be just as hard to leave London and move to Ballarat....

The only thing better in Liverpool than Melbs is the standard of football

Oh and the medical treatment for headbutts and other GBH injuries is far superior in Scouse land due to the experience the local health professionals have in dealing with this sort of injury.

Chester isn't a bad option if you are looking to get a part in Hollyoaks???

You have been away a while haven't you 😊

It has moved on a fair degree from headbutts now 

Pick your weapon of choice .

I have said many times on here 

There are 2 englands 

Urban , which in certain places ,can be bloody dangerous ,with such little value for human life 

Rural and semi rural - in some cases ,nothing much has changed ,and they have a safe and peaceful life .

• Like 2

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

On 04/04/2019 at 08:45, Ema said:

Thank you. I’m sure I’ll get there. In Australia I had a full life with a job and lots of friends. Here I have no job and few friends so it’s very different at the moment. I know that’ll all come with time and I know I have to be proactive in building a life again. It’s just dealing with the present is harder than what I imagined it would be. I keep looking back at how good I had it in Melbs and then find it hard to believe that a future here would be half as good which sends me spiralling into depression. My mind is the enemy right now and I need to figure out a way to attach good thoughts and feelings to my new home. Like I keep saying time will help I’m sure.

Maybe it would be more fair to compare life now, with when you first landed in Melb, not when you left Melb?

• Like 1