Adelaide Vs Perth

Mrs_Ob

Hi, We will soon be completing our EOI which had come round quicker than we thought 🙂 just wanted to ask for people opinions! We can’t decide whether to head for Perth or Adelaide! We are a family of 4 (1 girl age 7 & a boy age 5) plus a cat haha moving from the Uk , my husband is a qualified Joiner, I am currently a Sales Office Supervisor but planning on retraining as a software tester. I was all set for Perth but recently after looking into Adelaide I am now swayed! Any opinions on each ??? Thanks in Advance. 

Actually it's not that bad. It's real estate market is rising, which is unusual at the moment in Australia. City for city I would prefer Perth, but Adelaide is closer to civilization, (the east).

Both have their pros and cons. Perth's beaches are pretty good, and beach property is affordable there even with the current dreadful exchange rate.

I would back the one where you can get a job. If you're husband works on houses, Adelaide may be a better bet as Perth is in a slump.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mrs_Ob said:

Should have also mentioned we most definitely want to be near a nice beach & good schools! 🙂

Perth has better beaches and one of the best football teams (Eagles) , but it’s a long way from civilisation 

I have only lived in Adelaide - many decades ago - and have never visited Perth, but some people complain about the isolation of Perth.  It costs a lot and means hours of flying to reach other cities in Australia.  So think about that when making your decision.

• Thanks 1

I live in Perth but spend a fair time in Adelaide on business. I like both places, a lot of people don't. There are some similarities between them, a small-big town feel completely unlike Melbourne and Sydney. Perth CBD is a bit newer and shinier.

As mentioned, Perth is in a slump at the mo and Adelaide is much nearer the real action so, maybe go there.

Edited by s713
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mrs_Ob said:

We can’t decide whether to head for Perth or Adelaide!  I was all set for Perth but recently after looking into Adelaide I am now swayed! Any opinions on each ??? 

For work opportunities, I'd still say Perth is better than Adelaide, in spite of the recent slump.   For instance, the big national and international companies often maintain a Perth office because it's so far away, whereas they don't in Adelaide (because it's easily serviced from Melbourne or Sydney).  So I'd say there is more admin, clerical and IT work in Perth than Adelaide.

If you're very into the beach/outdoor life, then I don't think you'd notice the isolation of Perth.  People who feel isolated (like me) are usually more into the Arts - of course Perth has cultural activities, but the arts scene is limited compared to what's available in the Eastern States.  

My only reservation about Perth is what happens if you don't like it, or can't get work.  If you settle in Adelaide and can't find jobs, then you can fly to Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra etc for the day (the flight time is only one or two hours in each case), to attend interviews.   Whereas if you're in Perth, it's 3 or 4 hours flying time to any of the Eastern states - so not only are the flights more expensive, but you probably need an overnight stay as well.   

Also, if you then decide to move, it can cost almost as much to ship your belongings from Perth to the Eastern States as it did to bring them from the UK!   

So in summary, I'd say if you know Perth well and/or have friends there, and you're pretty sure you're going to settle, it's a good choice. If you've never lived in Australia before, then another state might be a safer option.  I really like Adelaide as a city but I would be a little concerned about work opportunities.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We looked at Adelaide, then Perth and then Adelaide again and decided on the latter.  Perth is a bigger city and with that probably does come more opportunities, but we get the feeling that Adelaide is going to experience the growth it lost out on when the likes of Perth and the eastern cities were having theirs.  It will never be as big as they are and plus, we have good friends in rural Victoria and it is just about close enough to visit them and vice versa.

• Thanks 1

On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 10:05, mukden said:

You can try to live in both cities for couple of months ,then make yr decision.

I live in Perth and have visited Adelaide often. We have friends who lived in Adelaide for a few years when they first came and now live in Perth.

Perth doesn't seem to have quite the weather extremes, is a newer looking more modern city, the beaches and beach suburbs are closer to the City and carry on up and down the coast. Plenty to choose from wherever the work turns up. Further from Perth you go the cheaper the beach suburbs get. Still some fantastic properties around that are good value. 

There's been several mentions of a downturn but TBH I think it's come and gone. Miners are back investing in new projects, new builds going up everywhere. 

Our friends who moved from Adelaide much prefer Perth.

• Thanks 1