143 parent visa

Janette

7 hours ago, purplealster said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are probably looking at another 3 to 4 years wait. My mum's application went in Sept 16 and we think we are being overly optimistic at hoping for a  Dec 2020 visa grant.

Oh no, it’s so depressing, I can’t understand why they take so long especially as we’re paying, we are desperate to be over there 😔

3 hours ago, Janette said:

Oh no, it’s so depressing, I can’t understand why they take so long especially as we’re paying, we are desperate to be over there 😔

They have 7k parent visas a year to give out, there’s currently over 50k in the queue. I would guess you have in excess of 30k ahead of you. 

11 hours ago, purplealster said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are probably looking at another 3 to 4 years wait. My mum's application went in Sept 16 and we think we are being overly optimistic at hoping for a  Dec 2020 visa grant.

how does it work, do some people have priority over others or do you just wait in line? 

how does it work, do some people have priority over others or do you just wait in line? 

You just wait in line 

4 hours ago, Janette said:

You have to see it from the Austrlian perspective. You are the last people it wants. It wants young healthy people who have lots of years to contribute to the economy rather than people that are likely to be just a burden to the country (I am speaking as an older person myself). So you are bottom of the pile (almost) in regards processing times. Though bear in mind there are visas that have processing times of over 50 years! 

In many ways you are lucky as many countries do not offer parent visas. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Janette said:

I understand that but I’m not at retirement age yet so I will be able to put back into there acconomy it’s just so frustrating 

Well you may put a bit back but not much compared to a person in their 20’s for example. The way the timeframes going you may be retired by the time you finally get there.  You can’t change it, the waiting time is long and there’s nothing that can be done about it.  They don’t really want us older people there 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Janette said:

It must be very frustrating, as mentioned they have a cap as to how many visa's they allocate and they will be getting hundreds/thousands of applications from all over the world.

13 hours ago, Janette said:

It must be very frustrating, as mentioned they have a cap as to how many visa's they allocate and they will be getting hundreds/thousands of applications from all over the world.

I understand that but I’m not at retirement age yet so I will be able to put back into there acconomy it’s just so frustrating 

Australia is quite ageist in employment practices.  Even though you are quite capable of engaging in paid employment there is no guarantee you will be able to.

I think most potential immigrants applying for a visa have very little or no idea at all of how many other others are applying from all over the world. Are only focussed on their own journey. Proportionately there might be far more parents applying from other countries than the UK. 

I know the figure 50.000 of parents in the visa queue was mentioned quite some time ago, I forget by who, but I would like to see this number confirmed by immigration. So is the number of 50.000 the actual number of visa applications in the queue or the total number of applicants who are included on each application., so therefore fewer visa applications actually in the queue, Could make a difference. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skani said:

Australia is quite ageist in employment practices.  Even though you are quite capable of engaging in paid employment there is no guarantee you will be able to.

So true.  Having been in Australia for over 30 years, I thought the age prejudice was just a modern trend, and I was astonished to discover I could get a good job in the UK despite being over 60. In Australia, I became almost unemployable at 55.  

It's particularly strange because I think older people are generally fitter and more able in Australia, so you'd think it would be the other way around.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ramot said:

I think most potential immigrants applying for a visa have very little or no idea at all of how many other others are applying from all over the world. Are only focussed on their own journey. Proportionately there might be far more parents applying from other countries than the UK. 

I know the figure 50.000 of parents in the visa queue was mentioned quite some time ago, I forget by who, but I would like to see this number confirmed by immigration. So is the number of 50.000 the actual number of visa applications in the queue or the total number of applicants who are included on each application., so therefore fwer visa applications actually in the queue, Could make a difference. 

Considering there are now more people migrating to Australia from India and China than there are from the UK and a fair percentage of those migrants are also hoping their parents will be  coming to Australia, it's not surprising the waiting time is so long.  I know the people I worked with from those countries were hopeful about their parents arriving eventually.

• Like 1

Unfortunately you're in a queue with thousands and thousands of people who are closer to retirement age than you are, there is no mechanism for them to pick out younger applicants. 

VeryStormy has explained it well.   

These statistics from the Department of Home Affairs for 2017 - 18      https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/research-and-stats/files/report-migration-program-2017-18.pdf    (page 17 if anyone is interested):

The Non-Contributory Parent category outcome for 2017-18 was 1356 places.

As at 30 June 2018, 50,642 applicants remain in the pipeline,

The Contributory Parent category outcome for 2017-18 was 6015 places.

As at 30 June 2018, 48,595 applicants remain in the pipeline,

Edited by Skani
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ramot said:

I know the figure 50.000 of parents in the visa queue was mentioned quite some time ago, I forget by who, but I would like to see this number confirmed by immigration. So is the number of 50.000 the actual number of visa applications in the queue or the total number of applicants who are included on each application., so therefore fewer visa applications actually in the queue, Could make a difference. 

I wish there was a phone number we could ring where someone could tell us exactly how long it will be before our visas are granted 

Looks like we’ve a long wait ahead 😔

If I can offer you a chunk of light it’s this: some people do drop out, for various reasons. So the wait might be a little less than you think - but you are still looking at about four years. I’d get my name down ASAP if I were you, then concentrate on long visits and making the most of your home country till the visa comes through. Difficult, but you’ll drive yourself nuts if you keep thinking about it.