Buying property on a 489 visa

lisawhite123

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any experience or knows as the internet can throw up a whole host of answers!

We have been in Queensland for 6 months and are thinking about buying a house to live in before we get PR. I’m aware we would have to apply to the FIRB for approval which carries a fee but I’ve been reading about foreign investor stamp duty tax and wonder if it would apply to us? Or is that for foreign investors that don’t have any visa’s?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add, my wife and I are moving to Oz on temporary parent visas and have just bought a house in NSW.  Just for us to live in and not even an investment.

We've just been done for an extra $45,600 (approx £25,000) for what they call "surcharge duty"🙄😭 We're paying it as we didn't want to lose our house. I tried to discuss it with the FIRB and their tax people, but they won't budge about it and is a blanket tax that covers everyone whatever their circumstances. It was originally brought in as the Chinese kept buying up property as investments.

12 hours ago, freedy50 said:

Just to add, my wife and I are moving to Oz on temporary parent visas and have just bought a house in NSW.  Just for us to live in and not even an investment.

We've just been done for an extra $45,600 (approx £25,000) for what they call "surcharge duty"🙄😭 We're paying it as we didn't want to lose our house. I tried to discuss it with the FIRB and their tax people, but they won't budge about it and is a blanket tax that covers everyone whatever their circumstances. It was originally brought in as the Chinese kept buying up property as investments.

No, of course they won't budge on it, it's the law.  It's one of the many downsides of temporary visas and bridging visas, unfortunately.  It should really be explained more clearly to people before they make the decision.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/03/2019 at 19:16, lisawhite123 said:

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any experience or knows as the internet can throw up a whole host of answers!

We have been in Queensland for 6 months and are thinking about buying a house to live in before we get PR. I’m aware we would have to apply to the FIRB for approval which carries a fee but I’ve been reading about foreign investor stamp duty tax and wonder if it would apply to us? Or is that for foreign investors that don’t have any visa’s?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Hi, yes, we purchased our home while on a temporary visa. The first house we applied too fell through (our end) so we had to pay 2 applications to FIRB at 5K each.