You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

ssiri

49 Killed in Shooting in NZ

So in Christchurch a far right group have been into two mosques and opened fire on worshipers. 49 Killed. A man in his mid /late 20s has been arrested and charged. This is a horrifying and worrying development in this part of the world. It’s almost like the Breivik attack in Norway. The UK has condemned it as a terrrorist attack. So they should.

Thoughts and expressions?

I have been away all day and didn't know anything about this until just now.  Dreadful news.  Mass murder and yes it's a terrorist attack.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Toots said:

I have been away all day and didn't know anything about this until just now.  Dreadful news.  Mass murder and yes it's a terrorist attack.

Just saw it. Sadly the terror of the right seems to be glossed over. They don't have the frequency of Islamic based terror, but they sure make up for it with the body count, bar 9/11.

Very sad event. I imagine they were aiming for the Bangladeshi cricket team? Fortunately they missed them.

I didn't think you could get those sorts of weapons over there.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

NZ gun laws are a lot more lax than in Australia.

I think this is their Port Arthur moment and if something good comes out a tragedy it will lead to a safer country in the future.

• Like 5

I want it all, and I want it now.

2 hours ago, ssiri said:

So in Christchurch a far right group have been into two mosques and opened fire on worshipers. 49 Killed. A man in his mid /late 20s has been arrested and charged. This is a horrifying and worrying development in this part of the world. It’s almost like the Breivik attack in Norway. The UK has condemned it as a terrrorist attack. So they should.

Been fearing that an atrocity like this would eventuate. There is so much anger amongst White supremacist groups who see themselves as the counter-balance to the Jihadis. You wonder now what chain of events this will set off - further Jihadi attacks on westerners, or copycat attacks by other right-wing groups who might be emboldened by this. 

As ever, it's always ordinary innocent people going about their lives that are the target. 

• Like 5

Been fearing that an atrocity like this would eventuate. There is so much anger amongst White supremacist groups who see themselves as the counter-balance to the Jihadis. You wonder now what chain of events this will set off - further Jihadi attacks on westerners, or copycat attacks by other right-wing groups who might be emboldened by this. 
As ever, it's always ordinary innocent people going about their lives that are the target. 

Indeed it’s always the ordinary people - everywhere
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

The later. Islamic groups seem to be motivated by governments. They will probably relish this.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, newjez said:

The later. Islamic groups seem to be motivated by governments. They will probably relish this.

The bears of little brain have found a continent not yet sensitised to them and have wreaked havoc out of their simply minded paranoia.

Just what the Muslim extremist needed, their "caliphate" crumbling before their eyes, humiliated by the infidels and moderate Muslims.

What better recruitment poster could they want. Hopefully justice can be exercised speedily and all the rest of the nutjobs are rounded up and put away. 

• Like 1

The cowardice of scum like this.  No doubt this seriously deranged killer will be lauded by fellow white supremacists but taking an automatic weapon into a mosque and slaughtering dozens of unarmed people is an act of supreme cowardice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

11 hours ago, ssiri said:

The UK has condemned it as a terrrorist attack. So they should.

? er yes. It was a terrorist attack.  Sickening!  The terrorist was an Australian... 

10 hours ago, newjez said:

Just saw it. Sadly the terror of the right seems to be glossed over. They don't have the frequency of Islamic based terror, but they sure make up for it with the body count, bar 9/11.

Very sad event. I imagine they were aiming for the Bangladeshi cricket team? Fortunately they missed them.

I didn't think you could get those sorts of weapons over there.

"glossed over"? 

56 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

What better recruitment poster could they want. Hopefully justice can be exercised speedily and all the rest of the nutjobs are rounded up and put away. 

The trouble with that sentiment is you can't round people up for their beliefs.

Unless someone is planning a criminal act then the police can't do much.

I doubt you want the thought police rounding people up really unless they have committed a crime.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parley said:

I doubt you want the thought police rounding people up really unless they have committed a crime.

Actually ‘hate crime’ does not have to be so prescripive - in the UK at least.

These measures have been widely, and rightly, used against certain Muslim preachers.

https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/hco/hate-crime/what-is-hate-crime/

There are conflicts with the notions of free speech and we also have to be careful of creating ‘martyrs’.  Look at the support on this forum for Tommy Robinson for instance.  It becomes a narrow line between stirring up fear and hatred and the acts we saw in Christchurch yesterday.

• Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

This is true, and you can’t do it as you correctly point out, just for having deplorable views. One has to act on them in some way. Be it to publicly spout them to foment hate, organise or plot an act of terror as extreme as this.

However terrorists can be surveilled, monitored and caught whilst plotting an act, thwarted, tried and put away. This is how they get stopped before they get implemented. The spooks and security forces are usually good at this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ssiri said:

This is true, and you can’t do it as you correctly point out, just for having deplorable views. One has to act on them in some way. Be it to publicly spout them to foment hate, organise or plot an act of terror as extreme as this.

However terrorists can be surveilled, monitored and caught whilst plotting an act, thwarted, tried and put away. This is how they get stopped before they get implemented. The spooks and security forces are usually good at this.

Well they didn’t do a good job on the sydney cafe with Mann monis ,

you will never stop all  these nut jobs 

dont understand why we can’t all just get on with each other thoughts with family and friends affected by this latest incident , a sad day indeed 

• Like 2

dont understand why we can’t all just get on with each other thoughts with family and friends affected by this latest incident , a sad day indeed 

They need a bit more sophistication in this area of security down this way. Sadly, the UK is quite good at it. They may not prevent all nut jobs, but they tend to stop the majority.

Agree it is a sad day.

51 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

As I recall Mann Monis was a lone nutter. They are the hardest to stop.

If it is group planning something then they generally communicate with each other using technology (often encrypted) but the police usually seem to catch these groups as they have ways of listening in.

The terrorist are getting smarter though I expect, not communicating on facebook etc.

This Australian guy was apparently not on the radar of authorities at all which is a worry.

• Like 2

Do something positive, like stopping people like this:

https://www.change.org/p/the-prime-minister-remove-fraser-anning-from-parliament?

"On the 15th of March, 49 innocent people were slaughtered in their place of worship.  Fraser Anning, under the banner of Senator, made multiple offensive statements about this attack.  He said ‘The real cause of bloodshed on New Zealand streets today is the immigration program that allowed Muslim fanatics to migrate to New Zealand in the first place’.  And ‘Today’s shootings in Christchurch highlight the growing fears within our community in both Australia and New Zealand over the increasing Muslim presence.’"

Scum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Parley said:

He was on the terror watch list , waiting trial for murder of his previous wife but out on bail ........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Parley said:

You can stop them owning semi automatic weapons.

• Like 3

If it is group planning something then they generally communicate with each other using technology (often encrypted) but the police usually seem to catch these groups as they have ways of listening in.
The terrorist are getting smarter though I expect, not communicating on facebook etc.
This Australian guy was apparently not on the radar of authorities at all which is a worry.

Communication is likely to be on the dark web, but as you point out those in charge of security can surveil groups there.
  • Like 1

Do something positive, like stopping people like this:
https://www.change.org/p/the-prime-minister-remove-fraser-anning-from-parliament?
"On the 15th of March, 49 innocent people were slaughtered in their place of worship.  Fraser Anning, under the banner of Senator, made multiple offensive statements about this attack.  He said ‘The real cause of bloodshed on New Zealand streets today is the immigration program that allowed Muslim fanatics to migrate to New Zealand in the first place’.  And ‘Today’s shootings in Christchurch highlight the growing fears within our community in both Australia and New Zealand over the increasing Muslim presence.’"
Scum.

What an absolute tool (he is).
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, unzippy said:

What do the Trump and Yaxley-Lennon fans think now?

The Independent: The New Zealand terror attack shows how far-right violence is cultivated by the internet and populist politicians.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/new-zealand-shooting-terror-christchurch-mosque-far-right-suspect-a8824186.htmlQ

Trump has stated the shootings were a terrorist attack.  So he's got that right.

Edited by Toots