register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Catrina Wilmot

Advise needed

Hi Thanks for adding me to the group.
After some advise. My son lives in WA and I would love to join him there.  My ultimate goal would be a Contributory Parent Visa but would like to get there as soon as possible.
My job is not on the skilled migration list and I'm 47 so no points there, so was looking for advise.  
Could I arrive on a visitor visa and then apply for a student visa??? And then the parent visa.
Any info greatly received.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Catrina Wilmot said:

After some advise. My son lives in WA and I would love to join him there.  My ultimate goal would be a Contributory Parent Visa but would like to get there as soon as possible.
My job is not on the skilled migration list and I'm 47 so no points there, so was looking for advise.  
Could I arrive on a visitor visa and then apply for a student visa??? And then the parent visa.
Any info greatly received.

I am quite sure that the parent visa is an offshore visa only. You have the option of applying offshore and whilst waiting there are various longer term holiday visas you can take and there’s a new parent temporary visa coming out that would allow you to stay there for some years whilst waiting for the 143 visa.  I don’t think you have any working rights though but I could be wrong on the new temporary one.  That may or may not be an issue for you. If you’re considering a student visa with the high costs of international student fees and limited working then maybe the working part isn’t a problem and the long holiday visas would be enough for you for some years . 

Edited by Tulip1

16 hours ago, Catrina Wilmot said:

I strongly suggest you consult a migration agent to get advice on the most practical pathway.   

You could certainly apply for  a student visa.  However, considering how expensive the Parent Visa is, I wonder if you really want to decimate your savings (which is what will happen on the Student visa, because the fees are very high, your work rights are restricted and medical cover is limited).

You could arrive on the tourist visa, then apply for the Parent Visa onshore, but frankly, I don't think that's a good idea either.  Living on a bridging visa is no fun, as you're in limbo. You're not a resident of the UK any more, which means you're not eligible for the NHS, but you're not a legal resident of Australia either, which means restricted Medicare, and you have to apply for special permission every time you want to leave the country.   If you want to buy a home, you're a foreign non-resident, you''ll need to apply for permission, and cough up an extra ten grand or so in fees and levies. 

Like I said, a migration agent will be able to give you the best advice, but I suspect the temporary Parent Visa might be your best bet. Good luck.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke