Three snakes in three days

Metoo

23 hours ago, Toots said:

Here is a very recent pic of one of our local snake catchers with a tiger snake found in a back yard.  *shudder*

snake catcher.jpg I don’t like the look of that one bit.  My brother had a few garter snakes when we were kids and they were little and pretty.  This one in the picture is not. @Toots, shudder for sure. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Metoo said:

That snake has a very wide neck and a big head, oh my gosh.

Tiger snakes flatten their head like that when they feel threatened.  I would hate to be that close to it -  they are the world's 4th most venomous snake IIRC 😱.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Skani said:

Tiger snakes flatten their head like that when they feel threatened.  I would hate to be that close to it -  they are the world's 4th most venomous snake IIRC 😱.  

Had many, many encounters with snakes over the years, from putting snakes back into the “bush” after they fell in a trench we made, (Main Roads Dept, WA, Broome 1964) Did that job for 3 weeks, most in one day was 17.
Fishing the Beardy Waters in Glen Innes, NSW came across 11 tiger  snakes in one morning, most of them quite lethargic and warming up in the sun. 
Here, in Ball Bay, Qld, we used to get about 3 tree snakes a week in the allamanda vine along the house, until the National Parks people decided to burn off in the NP behind our garden, rarely see any, now.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 1 year later...
On 10/02/2021 at 08:00, Bobj said:

Fishing the Beardy Waters in Glen Innes, NSW came across 11 tiger  snakes in one morning, most of them quite lethargic and warming up in the sun.

Must be a lot of snakes there. The town is home to about 6,000 residents, and have a number of snake removal services. I might strike that off my retirement list.

1 hour ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Must be a lot of snakes there. The town is home to about 6,000 residents, and have a number of snake removal services. I might strike that off my retirement list.

@BeachBabe2022

Lived there for 22 years but only saw snakes in the Beardy Waters valley and the headwaters of the Macintyre River, which were red bellied black snakes. I don't remember seeing any in the town.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Tootsie said:

Sadly that is no longer true.

Yes a 79 year old man died a couple  of years ago after being bitten by a tiger snake.  He was herding his sheep and it's thought he stumbled and fell on the snake.  Horrible.  I know a man who was also bitten by a tiger snake when he was moving stuff around in his garden.  He was OK after being helicoptered to hospital in Hobart.  I spoke to him a couple of weeks after he was bitten and he still felt "not the best" but he's fine now.