Brisbane here we come!

Sophie Goodall

48 minutes ago, Zack said:

We lived at Postmans Ridge Qld  during  the 2011 floods ,i know  about  floods it was the biggest  for over 100 years. But believe it or not the idiots in charge of the Wivenhoe  Dam  Should never  have let the  water out all at once ,they should have started  a week before,not wait till  it was nearly overflowing.  That was what caused Brisbane to flood as much as it did. .But the damage and loss of life  in other places could have  been avoided if houses were not  built in  flood areas , if creeks were cleaned out, And not used as  tips. the same  places flood every time we get lots of rain. Our two elderly neighbours were drowned ,their brick highset  house on Murphy's Creek road  was swept away, to this day the slab only remains.You are right .Be careful where you pick to live.We have  not seen any rain for ten months .And we know what follows drought and Fires  Nothing has been done by Council or the Qld Government We are still paying a levy of $58 on our rates for the 2011 flood. .No Flood drains have been dug,and nothing about the  drought And stop the town from running out of water. The dam is running dry. And they have spent millions beautifying the Parks.Instead of sinking Bores.or even another dam. The authorities would rather just hope for rain.And waste Billions.

Zack, at times you talk complete garbage, but on this occasion I have nothing but sympathy for you. Anyone who lived in the Lockyer Valley though the 2011 floods is bound to emerge from it scarred for life and suddenly a lot of your hatred of Australia makes sense. 

3 hours ago, Zack said:

We lived at Postmans Ridge Qld  during  the 2011 floods ,i know  about  floods it was the biggest  for over 100 years. But believe it or not the idiots in charge of the Wivenhoe  Dam  Should never  have let the  water out all at once ,they should have started  a week before,not wait till  it was nearly overflowing.  That was what caused Brisbane to flood as much as it did. .But the damage and loss of life  in other places could have  been avoided if houses were not  built in  flood areas , if creeks were cleaned out, And not used as  tips. the same  places flood every time we get lots of rain. Our two elderly neighbours were drowned ,their brick highset  house on Murphy's Creek road  was swept away, to this day the slab only remains.You are right .Be careful where you pick to live.We have  not seen any rain for ten months .And we know what follows drought and Fires  Nothing has been done by Council or the Qld Government We are still paying a levy of $58 on our rates for the 2011 flood. .No Flood drains have been dug,and nothing about the  drought And stop the town from running out of water. The dam is running dry. And they have spent millions beautifying the Parks.Instead of sinking Bores.or even another dam. The authorities would rather just hope for rain.And waste Billions.

Yes Wivenhoe was badly managed and flood management is poor, but anticipation of the impact of climate change is woeful.

3 hours ago, Zack said:

Was that the new houses at Postmans Ridge or have I got the wrong place

11 hours ago, Nemesis said:

. Anyone who lived in the Lockyer Valley though the 2011 floods is bound to emerge from it scarred for life and suddenly a lot of your hatred of Australia makes sense. 

Many, many people in Australia ( including several on PIO)  have lived through  huge natural disasters - floods, cyclones,  bushfires.    They are extremely stressful  but thy don't cause a blanket hatred and condemnation of everything Australian for most people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skani said:

Many, many people in Australia ( including several on PIO)  have lived through  huge natural disasters - floods, cyclones,  bushfires.    They are extremely stressful  but thy don't cause a blanket hatred and condemnation of everything Australian for most people.

In general I agree with you, but  if you are part of a small community which is literally wiped off the map - as the Lockyer valley hamlets were at the time - with the houses all washed away and many of your friends and neighbours drowned..... I think that would leave deep psychological wounds. I have friends who helped to search for some of the bodies, with the SES, and its left lasting impressions on them.

I've read Zach's threads and I don't think anyone can say the floods are totally responsible for his feelings towards Australia, but I would be surprised if there is no link at all. 

After all everyone reacts differently to disasters.

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nemesis said:

I think that would leave deep psychological wounds. I have friends who helped to search for some of the bodies, with the SES, and its left lasting impressions on them.

Of course it does leave lasting impressions. I lived through the 1967 Hobart bushfire which destroyed 64 people and  1300 homes in 5 hours and I've never taken my life (or my home) for granted since.  It does help better understand the country and its people - including (especially) the annoying bits.  It's a b****y tough country environmentally.  Enormous respect for past generations who battled these disasters without the resources and assistance now available.

IIRC Zach's first return to the UK - and back to Oz - was before 2011...so he's been out of love with Oz for quite some time.  🙁

• Like 1